Interested in a DIC microscope.

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
stitchy.mitch

Interested in a DIC microscope.

#1 Post by stitchy.mitch » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:02 pm

I'm pretty ignorant of the market, which I suppose is not in my best interest to mention, but so it goes. If anyone is looking to sell a scope at a reasonable price, or has any input on what a good DIC scope is I'd appreciate at any sales offer and advice. I'm a Biology undergrad and am looking at ways to improve my micro photographs. The contrast from DIC truly amazes me, and I'd love to make use of it.

Thanks again to this forum who in the past has provided me with so much help and advice on the subject of microscopy.

I'm looking for something with plan or better objectives capable of DIC. Brand is less important to me than functionality, condition and ease of care/finding parts. Ideally its a scope that is trinocular, maybe with a photo adapter and is complete, or easy to fix.

My kindest regards and appreciation as always,

~Mitchell

KurtM

Re: Interested in a DIC microscope.

#2 Post by KurtM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:31 am

This guy has several complete "turnkey" stands available for what I think are reasonable prices. I own two DIC stands, an upright and an inverted, the latter came from him and I am delighted with it. I feel comfortable recommending him as a seller who knows his wares, as opposed to one of the (too) many wheeler-dealers who merely try to flip surplus warehouse inventory which is (too) often incomplete, filthy, beat up, etc., etc. And with a name like his, he just has to be good...

https://tinyurl.com/y4c3m7af

("tell him I sent you")
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

Wes

#3 Post by Wes » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:48 am

I bought DIC components from this guy and I'm happy with the purchase. He seems honest with regards to whether a particular item has defects.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

stitchy.mitch

#4 Post by stitchy.mitch » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:40 am

Thank you very much for the recommendation. Unfortunately it seems he is not offering any complete scopes currently. I will continue my search

houstontx

#5 Post by houstontx » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:13 pm

I have an Olympus BH2 BHS with complete transmitted DIC and 10x 20x Splan APOs $3k shipped to the lower 48. PM me if interested.
Attachments
image008.jpg
image008.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (64.47 KiB) Viewed 7093 times
image001.jpg
image001.jpg (61.83 KiB) Viewed 7093 times

zzffnn

#6 Post by zzffnn » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:29 pm

^ That sounds like a very good price. Where is my lottery ticket when I need it :evil:

stitchy.mitch

#7 Post by stitchy.mitch » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:42 pm

This is a good offer and thank you for taking the time to post it. Let me consider if I can manage it financially and get back to you.

~Mitchell

Wes

#8 Post by Wes » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 pm

Its not indicated in the description but this scope has DIC from what I can see (inko condenser and the objective DIC prisms). Of course I cannot say anything about the state of the optics but it looks tempting even if its a bit of a gamble.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-III-RS-U ... SwJgBcmTMi
Youtube channel

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Wes wrote:Its not indicated in the description but this scope has DIC from what I can see (inko condenser and the objective DIC prisms). Of course I cannot say anything about the state of the optics but it looks tempting even if its a bit of a gamble.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-III-RS-U ... SwJgBcmTMi
Two sliders that I can see, a Plan 16x/0.35 and a Achro 40x/75 W (water). The Plan Neofluar Water-Glyc-Oil 40x objective looks interesting.

However seller has made very little effort to show components so it is hard to see what else it has let alone the condition they are in.

Starting bid is $1000, more than a gamble I'd say unless you were local and experienced. Most probably end up as parts.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Wes

#10 Post by Wes » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:10 am

What about this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Universa ... SwOwZdLkeR

The guy selling it has a youtube channel with loads of videos taken with the microscope. What I find interesting is that he uses an old DIC slider with a a new DIC condenser, I didn't expect that to work so well.
Youtube channel

Hobbyst46

#11 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 am

Wes wrote:What about this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Universa ... SwOwZdLkeR

The guy selling it has a youtube channel with loads of videos taken with the microscope. What I find interesting is that he uses an old DIC slider with a a new DIC condenser, I didn't expect that to work so well.
A very minor point, that stage is a very old model, not from the Universal era, and less ergonomic than the stage for the Standards.

75RR

#12 Post by 75RR » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:28 am

Beautiful microscope in pristine condition. Did not know it was Craig Smith, I have seen his excellent work before. Can't argue with the DIC quality of the youtube videos.

It says make an offer - I am not in the market but if I were I would be very tempted.

This is the beast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQW5ttGJxpM
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)