FOR SALE - Leitz Orthoplan ++ extras

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
mrsonchus

FOR SALE - Leitz Orthoplan ++ extras

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi all.
Many will be familiar with my trusty Leitz Orthoplan 'scope here.... I'm selling it and all the Leitz parts that I've collected for it as I'm waiting to delivery of a new (used) 'scope - An Olympus BX40.
I feel like a change to an Olympus and have finally been able to get together enough money to buy one.

Soooo, in brief I have the following to sell, all will be going to e-bay, but I'd much rather sell to members heree, many of whom will be familiar with my development with this fine 'scope from the day it arrived on my doorstep!

A quick idea of what I have to sell, but I'll put up a detailed list with images soon as I can also. Any questions just contact me.

* Leitz Orthoplan with trinocular head, 10x widefield eyepieces and a full complement of 5 objectives.
* Various extra objectives, all for the Orthoplan or other 170mm TL Leitz 'scopes such as the Leitz SM-Lux for example - including a couple of very hard to find water-immersion objectives, a 50x and a 100x - both of n.a. 1.0 - these are used with a water drop between the objective and slide (easy-peasy to clean compared to oil immersion...) but not between the condenser and slide-bottom - ver convenient and very fine objectives indeed.
* Complete photo-tube assembly for fitting a Canon EOS DSLR atop the trinocular's photo-port, including intermediate optics comprising a 10x photo-projection eyepiece and a 0.32x intermediate lens. This enables the camera to be nicely parfocal to the objectives. All parts are the genuine and correct Leitz parts for this setup. This assembly is also very hard to find complete - this is the only one I've seen since I bought the Orthoplan.

**** A couple of beautiful APOCHROMATIC objectives, a 25x and a 40x - these are simply fabulous objectives - again, VERY hard to find and VERY expensive when you do....

The list goes on.... If you're interested just message me or even look for my posts here on this forum that have many, many images of this beautiful 'scope right from the day it arraived on my doorstep!

I suppose I now need to start to look for componenets for my coming Olympus BX40 - gulp....

John.

A few images,
Here's the beast with a Canon EOS 1200D mounted to the phototube...

Phototube,

A link to my post of it's arrival

A link to my post of the Orthoplan's view of plant-cell chromosomes dividing

Many more details to add, please message me if you're interested in a complete, ready-to-use, very high quality Leitz Orthoplan!

John
John B

einman

Re: FOR SALE - Leitz Orthoplan ++ extras

#2 Post by einman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:12 pm

Interesting! Simple question. Why?
Just curious, given your affection for the Orthoplan when you first purchased it.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:29 pm

Hello einman my friend!
Well, having tried many techniques with the Orthoplan I've settled down to realise that I almost exclusively use brightfield with my Botanical adventures and slides. I thought I'd like a change, and maybe a decent quality would be available with the Olympus (it would need to be given the quality of the Orthoplan!), and of course a certain amount of 'newness'.

I therefore decided to concentrate my resources (i.e. money) on trying to achieve the highest image quality I can with my linited funds - the BX40 seems to be a reasonable 'launch-pad' for this approach, starting with some ordinary achromats maybe, but perhaps then on to the UIS1 or UIS2 optics gradually....

The funds raised from the sale of the Orthoplan and the extras should help to offset the cost/s of the olympus possibly substantially.

No real logic or reasoning just 'fancy a change' also!

p.s. I've a couple of fantastic water-immersion objectives for the Leitz if you know anyone that's interested.

I'll post some details very soon, and begin the tortuous process of placing the system onto e-bay - a real drag to do...
John B

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:38 pm

This is really cool. I have one of these trinocular heads with the full photo setup, still with the original 35mm film camera attached. It'd be nice to have it adapted to a modern DSLR like this. I got a mechanical adapter to put the .32x lens (37mm threads? something like that) onto m42--does it just need to be adapted to the dslr and put above the periplan eyepiece, or is the distance between the .32x and the sensor really fiddly?
Looks like a great setup--I know that feeling of having more scope than necessary. I'm sure whoever picks it up will be very happy with it.

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:48 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:This is really cool. I have one of these trinocular heads with the full photo setup, still with the original 35mm film camera attached. It'd be nice to have it adapted to a modern DSLR like this. I got a mechanical adapter to put the .32x lens (37mm threads? something like that) onto m42--does it just need to be adapted to the dslr and put above the periplan eyepiece, or is the distance between the .32x and the sensor really fiddly?
Looks like a great setup--I know that feeling of having more scope than necessary. I'm sure whoever picks it up will be very happy with it.
If you post (or pm if you prefer) an image or two of your setup I can tell you what you'll need old chap. I love the Orthoplan, but I like the look also of the Olympus BX 'scopes...... Can't afford both so here I go..... :D
John B

einman

#6 Post by einman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:06 pm

I can relate to your reasons completely! PM me details on the water immersion objectives. I may be interested.

PeteM

#7 Post by PeteM » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:38 pm

John, Are any of your objectives for 160 tube length Leitz? If so, I have some extra Olympus BX infinity objectives and could be interested in a trade.

mrsonchus

#8 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:54 pm

PeteM wrote:John, Are any of your objectives for 160 tube length Leitz? If so, I have some extra Olympus BX infinity objectives and could be interested in a trade.
Only 1 is a 160mm TL and it's a beautiful 63x. It's a real cracker and is the permanent 'top-end' dry objective in my nosepiece! I'd be very interested in a trade, or to buy objectives if you will, let me know what you think.
Here's an image if it, it's a Fluorite also. n.a. 0.85...

Let me know what Olympus objectives etc you have old chap - I'd be very interested.... :)
John B

KurtM

#9 Post by KurtM » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:06 am

Well, John, I must say I certainly admire your style, and can hardly wait till the first images from your new BX stand come in...
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

zzffnn

#10 Post by zzffnn » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:47 am

John B,

Wanting to try another scope is certainly a good reason, however I don't think BX40 will provide much better image quality.

Your botanical slides are very forgiving on objectives, as they are contrasty (once stained) and immobile. Maybe try Leitz's plan Apo 170tl objectives, if you don't have them already?

Modern objectives may provide better contrast and planarity, and likely larger view field (depending on models), but your Leitz objectives are already some of the best in their class and time.

Maybe try a BX40 first before buying it? Switching stands would take quite some time and funds.

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi zz' - already on it's way! I'm not expecting huge quality increase, if any at this stage, as the 'scope comes with a couple of Achromats and a couple of Phase Achromats - so I've a need to find a nice set of UIS1 or UIS2 objectives, arrrggghhhhh!.... Great fun to have a new 'scope also.
I'll post when I know more. :D
John B

mrsonchus

#12 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:45 pm

KurtM wrote:Well, John, I must say I certainly admire your style, and can hardly wait till the first images from your new BX stand come in...
Hi there Kurt! Shouild arrive sometime next week I think.
I'll keep the forum update as soon as....

:D
John B

Crater Eddie

#13 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Oh John! I'm sitting here drooling over both scopes.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

#14 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:Oh John! I'm sitting here drooling over both scopes.
CE
Ahhh Ed' - this will only pass with the aquisition of a beautiful 'scope, an Orthoplan perhaps! ;) :D
John B