NO LONGER WANTED - Olympus nosepiece adapter

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
mrsonchus

#1 Post by mrsonchus » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:23 am

Hi all, continuing my search for polarisation with my BX40.....

There is an adapter that enables removable nosepieces to attach to the BX40, rather than the fixed nosepiece standard fitting.
I found an image that shows this piece on a BX40,
BX40 adapter for nosepiece.jpg
BX40 adapter for nosepiece.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
Better-still, here are some images of the actual adapter,
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (27.02 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
image3.JPG
image3.JPG (26.57 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
image2.JPG
image2.JPG (34.78 KiB) Viewed 5485 times
That's the part I need!

Anyone know where I may find one? A BX40 fitted with a removable nosepiece will obviously have one fitted.
Last edited by mrsonchus on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John B

mrsonchus

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi all,

this request is now over - I have found the parts I need!
John B

microb

Re: NO LONGER WANTED - Olympus nosepiece adapter

#3 Post by microb » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:56 am

Cool.

Can you send pictures of how the set screw was done. They seemed to have put in some type of brooch that would be interesting to see.

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:16 am

Hi Bob, yes there's a tiny 'piece of dovetail-profile' as it were, that the set-screw pushed against. This then, being a nice fit for the edge of the adapter, by virtue of it's matching profile, completes the fit.
This image shows the tiny piece in-situ,

A few more images, of the adapter fitted to my existing BX40,

It's loose when the adapter is removed from the 'scope and I spent a few minutes chasing it around as I dropped it a couple of times.... :oops:
What I would say though is that I doubt very much if it's actually necessary, as the nosepiece fits perfectly without it and is in exactly the same, correct position.

I'll have a complete BX40 for sale in a few days, with a double-ergo binocular head,

Hope this helps Bob. :)
John B

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:56 pm

It's loose when the adapter is removed from the 'scope and I spent a few minutes chasing it around as I dropped it a couple of times...
What I would say though is that I doubt very much if it's actually necessary, as the nosepiece fits perfectly without it and is in exactly the same, correct position.
My nosepiece has a similar arrangement, it is more about holding it in place if/when the microscope is moved than about positioning.
I'll have a complete BX40 for sale in a few days, with a double-ergo binocular head...
I seem to have missed something here - thought you were going for a new nosepiece adapter - did you end up with a new microscope?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

#6 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:26 pm

75! Well, erm, the thing-is my friend, I saw then bought another BX40, for a very affordable price that will allow me to sell it on at a sensible price...

The 'extra' BX40 arrived safely and has all the parts I'm after - and more!

For starters, it had, past-tense :D , the adapter to enable the use of removable nosepieces with the BX40! This is now fitted to my BX40.... :D :D :D

It gets better - it also had a U-D6RE removable 6-way nosepiece with slider-slot for a U-TAD polarising slider. This is now also fitted to my BX40, allowing me to mount my 100x with the 4x, 10x, 20x, 40x and 60x to give 'a full set' on the nosepiece - sheer luxury!
I've fitted the fixed 5-way nosepiece from my BX40 to the new 'scope and it looks good.

It gets even better - the U-TAD slider was there, with a U-TP530 Tint Plate included.... :shock:
There's more..... as I pulled the U-TAD out to have a look at it, would you believe there was also a pristine U-ANT analyzer sitting in the slider!! :D :D :D By this point I'd nearly fainted with glee and had to call my Wife to confirm that I wasn't imagining-things! :D

Soooo, A complete U-TAD, U-ANT and U-TP530 full-wave plate included!

All I need now is a U-POT for the field-port and I'm complete.

Now then - I'm going to sell the BX40 'spare' and hope to have it on e-bay in the next few days, although I intend to put it onto the forum first just in case anyone's looking for one. I've a spare set of UIS2 PlanC N objectives to fit to it also, and of course it has a condenser (U-AC2) that it came with. It has the double-ergo adjustable binocular head also, that I was going to buy a U-TRU for but am now going to spend the money on a 20W LED conversion and a U-POT drop-in polariser....

I've been very lucky I think 75'! :D

Just a U-POT drop-in polariser to find and afford and I'm set with basic polarisation....
John B

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 pm

Excellent news! Congratulations.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Greetings mrsonchus !
One thing I do not understand: Olympus produced the BX40 model with a fixed nosepiece, then a more advanced model - the BX41 - with a removable nosepiece, then an adapter to upgrade the BX40 into a removable-nosepiece model ?

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:15 pm

EXACTLY my friend - that's the part I have been looking for to enable the major upgrade of my BX40. I found another BX40 with one fitted, and bought it. Now I'm selling it on and my BX40 has a lovely 6-way removable nosepiece thanks to the adapter!
The part name is 'READB' - not easy to find, not easy at-all........

This is the blighter,

Now fitted to my BX40 - which now takes removable slide-in nosepieces! :D :D

Here it is in action,

Now my BX40 has polarisation and a 6-way nosepiece!

I learned of the existence of this adapter whilst browsing, as I saw a few BX40s fitted with a slide-in nosepiece for polarisation - what I was looking for... Closer inspection of images of these 'scopes revealed the presence of 'something' between frame and nosepiece.
Much searching and an abortive purchase from S-Korea (idiot said he had one until I bought it, then he 'couldn't find it' - surprise-surprise - money refunded though thankfully) later I spotted a BX40 for a very good price, complete with adapter, the rest... well, I now have a 'spare' BX40 for sale! Quite an adventure!
John B

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:16 pm

75RR wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 pm
Excellent news! Congratulations.
Thanks 75' - I'm so pleased I'm almost purring this evening!

You look like a fellow that needs a BX40 to me my friend! :D :D ;)
John B