Olympus BH2 BHS UMA Nomarski DIC Metallurgical Microscope

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
thomas.schwarz

Olympus BH2 BHS UMA Nomarski DIC Metallurgical Microscope

#1 Post by thomas.schwarz » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Hello friends,

In hopes of softening buyer's remorse, I was hoping for some feedback on this resent purchase. I know with only one photo, there is some risk. My goal is to use it for microbe hunting. I have been without a microscope for about 3 m9nths after returning my optica 290 TB. It had some defects, and as I started to learn about microscopes it seemed like basic optic and mechanical quality where really what a microbe hunter need (e.g. best in class stage and focus for bug chasing...)

So questions, will this be real dic?

Is that old film-looking camera on top easily replaced with dig/usb (weird that the description mentions usb)?

Should I be looking for other parts immediately(e.g. bulbs)?

Thanks!
Tom

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3655348792

thomas.schwarz

Re: Olympus BH2 BHS UMA Nomarski DIC Metallurgical Microscope

#2 Post by thomas.schwarz » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Oh... one more question..
Why "metalurgical"? Is that a reference to a rotating stage and polarization?

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Hi Tom,
a metallurgical microscope with DIC is intended for incident lighting surface work. The incident DIC is real and it shows tiny surface details like cracks. For microbe hunting it doesn't have a lot to offer. The objectives will be "no coverslip" type and only the weaker ones are useful for biological work. Componets for general biological work are plenty and comparatively cheap. A transmittel light DIC set is expensive and rare and has nothing to do with the incident light setup. In the picture it looks as if a turret condenser were installed - this could be anything - maybe even a transmitted light DIC condenser.
With this microscope you will be able to show a lot of things that can't be observed with most microscopes, like electronic components, meshes, uncovered raw material.

If the camera has the typical OM bayonett it is easy to adapt a mirrorless system camera, preferrable 35mm format, like a Sony A7... .

The Olympus BH series is well regarded and there are a lot of accessories available in some markets.

Bob

thomas.schwarz

#4 Post by thomas.schwarz » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:56 pm

Argh. Thanks. Will try to return though I did already pay. What about this microscope?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4352219667

wporter

#5 Post by wporter » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:44 pm

You might get a manual for this Zeiss and become familiar with the DIC components that are necessary, and then talk to the seller to make sure all of the components come with the scope. Oftimes sellers claim DIC, but half or all of the needed parts are defective or missing. It is highly desirable that the microscope comes complete with them, since buying them after the fact can end up doubling your costs (especially with Zeiss).

Some on this forum may have experience dealing with this vendor. Perhaps they will chime in.

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:19 am

Thomas, the first microscope is an Olympus BHS, which is the most desirable of the Olympus finite microscopes. And there is no sign of the metallurgical type prisms between the nosepiece and the objectives. There does seem to be a turret-looking condenser below, possibly with prisms in it. So, there's some slight chance (pictures are way to fuzzy to tell) that it is actually a transmitted DIC scope, with decent biological objectives, plus some sort of epi head for reflected or metallurgical use?

It doesn't look (from the photo) to be a BH2-UMA epi head. Could be that will be your "not as described" failback.

What's not clear is the presence of an upper DIC slider (or the contents of what looks to be a phase or maybe phase/DIC condenser). At $4K, it's a a surprise you didn't ask ahead of time. Some chance you got a bargain. Or, maybe a bit of hassle with the shipping charges to and fro more your responsibility than the seller?

The old 35mm adapter atop the BHS can be discarded, or even gutted to be re-purposed as a tube to hold a full frame DSLR. So, that part at least is not a worry.

The second Zeiss scope doesn't look to have a DIC condenser. This seller has another "DIC" scope using a slit in the condenser, so this may be a sort of cobbled together "DIC" that shows as much oblique as anything else?

There are a couple of proper biological DIC scopes on Ebay now in the $5-6K range. Good luck.

thomas.schwarz

#7 Post by thomas.schwarz » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:06 pm

Thank you so much. Right all points agreed. I will make a better to understand my needs and what a used microscope really offers before I buy it.

Luckily this seller agreed too cancel. Now I will take more time exactly as you suggested to understand the vendors contrast enhancement implementation and then make sure all the parts are there.

And I might just give up on dic because i definitely do not have more than 3000 dollars for this, and the focus on the optics technology/work arounds/hacks is not what I am interested in. I am only I interested in the "jungle" in my otherwise plain looking jars of old green stuff from the local canal in my western facing window sill....