LOMO microscope hunting for you

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Dmi3n
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Location: Russia, Kaliningrad

LOMO microscope hunting for you

#1 Post by Dmi3n » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:02 pm

Greetings to everyone. I live in Russia and there are many cheap LOMO microscopes available for me as I have some contacts in institutes and univesrsities who ocasionally upgrade their gear so old but still good (often they were on the shelf 99% of time) microscopes are sold dirt cheap or even thrown away. I know pretty much about LOMO microscopes and can fully service them from re-greasing to machining new parts. So I can find pretty much any microscope for you, from student Biolam to research Lyumam, service it properly if needed and ship to you for good price. Also I can find individual objectives, eyepieces, parts, anything. I can sell it via Ebay to provide guarantees. PM me if you need anything.
Scopes: CZJ NfPk w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv phase contrast, Epi Pol illuminator, trinocular head, CZJ Epityp-2 Pol (currently dismantled for full restoration and recollimation) w/ D32 microhardness tester and photomicrography attachment.

jmp
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 am
Location: Texas

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#2 Post by jmp » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:09 am

Hi Dmi3n,

My first microscope was one of those ubiquitous BIOLAMs, which I still have and use. Recently I aquired a few more LOMO models that I'm restoring: a Metam-IQ, a Laboroscope and an Invertoscope (I'm quite fond of this last one).

I've been keeping an eye on Ebay but some parts are a bit hard to find there, so I'm going to take advantage of your kind offer to do some part hunting. Right now I'm interested in TQA 20x and 10x objectives, these are long working distance objectives for the inverted microscopes, and in a 10x QPA phase objective for the Laboroscope. If you happen to stumble upon any of those let me know! I'd be happy to by them from you through Ebay.

Other parts I'd be interested to get my hands on, eventually, are the EPI arm of a LUMAM, to upgrade the Laboroscope (since the rest of the microscope body is the same for both models), and perhaps the variant of the oblique condenser for the Laboroscope.

Besides hunting for parts I'm also looking for information about the DIC module for the Invertoscope. From the little that I've been able to grasp from bits and pieces on the Internet, it looks to me that its not real DIC but more of an oblique illumination hack, perhaps you know more about this?

Regards,
jmp

User avatar
Dmi3n
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Location: Russia, Kaliningrad

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#3 Post by Dmi3n » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:23 am

jmp wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:09 am
Hi Dmi3n,

My first microscope was one of those ubiquitous BIOLAMs, which I still have and use. Recently I aquired a few more LOMO models that I'm restoring: a Metam-IQ, a Laboroscope and an Invertoscope (I'm quite fond of this last one).

I've been keeping an eye on Ebay but some parts are a bit hard to find there, so I'm going to take advantage of your kind offer to do some part hunting. Right now I'm interested in TQA 20x and 10x objectives, these are long working distance objectives for the inverted microscopes, and in a 10x QPA phase objective for the Laboroscope. If you happen to stumble upon any of those let me know! I'd be happy to by them from you through Ebay.

Other parts I'd be interested to get my hands on, eventually, are the EPI arm of a LUMAM, to upgrade the Laboroscope (since the rest of the microscope body is the same for both models), and perhaps the variant of the oblique condenser for the Laboroscope.

Besides hunting for parts I'm also looking for information about the DIC module for the Invertoscope. From the little that I've been able to grasp from bits and pieces on the Internet, it looks to me that its not real DIC but more of an oblique illumination hack, perhaps you know more about this?

Regards,
jmp
Hi jmp, unfortunately those newer microscopes are quite rare at used market because they are still used in work in laboratories. If I find anything, I'll PM you. As far as I know, there was no mass-produced LOMO DIC modules, only some prototypes.
Scopes: CZJ NfPk w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv phase contrast, Epi Pol illuminator, trinocular head, CZJ Epityp-2 Pol (currently dismantled for full restoration and recollimation) w/ D32 microhardness tester and photomicrography attachment.

jmp
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 am
Location: Texas

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#4 Post by jmp » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi Dmi3n,

Seems I can't reply via PM (registered recently, can receive but not send PM). Any way, thanks for the info, and yes, please send me the PDF that you have for the Biolam P-1. The model sold in the US specifically mentioned DIC as an option for it. Then there's this:
Image
This is a filter that is a perfect fit for the P-1, it has a polarizing filter and a slit beneath it but no trace of a Nomarski prism. That's why I get the impression that this filter is more for oblique lighting that anything else.

Saludos,
Jmp

User avatar
Dmi3n
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Location: Russia, Kaliningrad

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#5 Post by Dmi3n » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:38 am

jmp wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 pm
Hi Dmi3n,

Seems I can't reply via PM (registered recently, can receive but not send PM). Any way, thanks for the info, and yes, please send me the PDF that you have for the Biolam P-1. The model sold in the US specifically mentioned DIC as an option for it. Then there's this:
Image
This is a filter that is a perfect fit for the P-1, it has a polarizing filter and a slit beneath it but no trace of a Nomarski prism. That's why I get the impression that this filter is more for oblique lighting that anything else.

Saludos,
Jmp
Hi jmp. I have seen many P-1s for sale, but none of them had this filter. I'll upload manual at google drive soon and send you the link.
Scopes: CZJ NfPk w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv phase contrast, Epi Pol illuminator, trinocular head, CZJ Epityp-2 Pol (currently dismantled for full restoration and recollimation) w/ D32 microhardness tester and photomicrography attachment.

MicroBob
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:11 am
Location: Northern Germany

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:10 pm

HiJmp,
for the PZO DIC system there was a slit condenser as one option. It is used in combination with a prism above the objective and gives a 3D DIC effect but more oriented that the effect that results from the use of a prism condenser.

Bob

jmp
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 am
Location: Texas

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#7 Post by jmp » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks for the info Bob. I've found some references to that slit condenser from the PZO in the forums.

Regards,
Jmp

User avatar
Dmi3n
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Location: Russia, Kaliningrad

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#8 Post by Dmi3n » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:28 pm

PZO system is called DIC after Pluta as I recall, he was one of Nomarski's collegues or students. Maybe you can find his original article on the net.
Scopes: CZJ NfPk w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv phase contrast, Epi Pol illuminator, trinocular head, CZJ Epityp-2 Pol (currently dismantled for full restoration and recollimation) w/ D32 microhardness tester and photomicrography attachment.

MichaelG.
Posts: 2458
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:24 am
Location: NorthWest England

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:22 pm

Interference microscopy of polymer fibres*
M. Pluta
First published:December 1972 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2818.1972.tb01061.x Citations: 156
† Presented at the ‘Micro‐72’ meeting, Oxford, 10 April 1972.

____________

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf ... .tb01061.x

Sorry ... I haven’t yet found a free download; but many University Libraries will have access.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

jmp
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 am
Location: Texas

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#10 Post by jmp » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:40 am

Thanks Dmi3n and Michael. I got Pluta's paper, will be an interesting read.

jmp
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:07 am
Location: Texas

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#11 Post by jmp » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:27 pm

Just found on the web a brochure from a re-branded LOMO BIOLAM P-1 inverted microscope here. It shows that indeed DIC was possible for 10x and 20x using 2 separate filter/prism sliders with this microscope. The bigger slider, shown in the photos in previous posts, has a slith and a polarized filter and sits in a slot that is located between the condenser lens and the collimating lens of the light source. The smaller slider holds the prism that sits between the objective and ocular when inserted into the light path. This is similar to what Microbob described about the slith condenser option for the PZO.

Given that is unlikely for this particular prism slider to appear on ebay, I wonder if adapting the prism from another DIC system, such as the one shown here from a Zeiss Universal, using a 3D printed frame would have any chance of working at all, or if its worth at all trying. Would be quite convenient to be able to quickly switch between bf-phase-dic using filters (since I have the phase sliders). I guess that I can get away with just oblique illumination using custom filters that I can 3D print myself, and avoid the trouble.

Jmp

riorio44
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 4:27 pm

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#12 Post by riorio44 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:30 pm

Hello dmi3n, I was wondering if you or anybody else had a user manual for the Lomo Polam-213M?

Thanks in advance!

kville79
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 1:29 am

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#13 Post by kville79 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 pm

Just curious, how much could you get a petrographic microscope with a Fedorov stage for?

alandavison
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:56 am

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#14 Post by alandavison » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:14 am

I am looking for information on the Lomo Polam P-211 petrological microscope. I can only find bare bone specs. I would appreciate help with operating instructions, catalogues, accessories etc.

apochronaut
Posts: 3637
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 12:15 am

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#15 Post by apochronaut » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:07 am

Dmi3n wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:28 pm
PZO system is called DIC after Pluta as I recall, he was one of Nomarski's collegues or students. Maybe you can find his original article on the net.
Pluta was an engineer at PZO, I believe. Wrote many papers about Interference contrast microscopy. PZO never called their systems DIC. They called it polarizing interference microscopy. I'm not sure they used Nomarski prisms . They may be Wollaston or de Senarmont prisms.

The PZO slit condenser was a modification of the Goerz condenser, which was marketed from the 50's to the 80's as a 3-D condenser. The Goerz has an addition that DF can be employed as well.

User avatar
Dmi3n
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Location: Russia, Kaliningrad

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#16 Post by Dmi3n » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:51 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:07 am
Dmi3n wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:28 pm
PZO system is called DIC after Pluta as I recall, he was one of Nomarski's collegues or students. Maybe you can find his original article on the net.
Pluta was an engineer at PZO, I believe. Wrote many papers about Interference contrast microscopy. PZO never called their systems DIC. They called it polarizing interference microscopy. I'm not sure they used Nomarski prisms . They may be Wollaston or de Senarmont prisms.

The PZO slit condenser was a modification of the Goerz condenser, which was marketed from the 50's to the 80's as a 3-D condenser. The Goerz has an addition that DF can be employed as well.
Thanks for interesting information. By the way, I have the aforementioned MOM-Goerz 3D-condenser but have to adapt it for use on my microscpe. As soon as I ll find a way, I will post a review.
Scopes: CZJ NfPk w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv phase contrast, Epi Pol illuminator, trinocular head, CZJ Epityp-2 Pol (currently dismantled for full restoration and recollimation) w/ D32 microhardness tester and photomicrography attachment.

User avatar
Dmi3n
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Location: Russia, Kaliningrad

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#17 Post by Dmi3n » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:51 pm

alandavison wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:14 am
I am looking for information on the Lomo Polam P-211 petrological microscope. I can only find bare bone specs. I would appreciate help with operating instructions, catalogues, accessories etc.
Unfortunately Polams are very rare even in Russia, I will try to find some info for you.
Scopes: CZJ NfPk w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv phase contrast, Epi Pol illuminator, trinocular head, CZJ Epityp-2 Pol (currently dismantled for full restoration and recollimation) w/ D32 microhardness tester and photomicrography attachment.

alandavison
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:56 am

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#18 Post by alandavison » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 am

I have found this Lomo 213 manual on a German site. Reference to the site are on MicrobeHunter.
Polam-311-ru.PDF
I have downloaded a copy, but I do not know if copyright applies.
However, a search for the above should find it.
It seems comprehensive, but is in Russian cyrillic.

alandavison
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:56 am

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#19 Post by alandavison » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 am

Possible errror correction and update.
Reference is:-
mikroscopfreunde-nordhessen.de/dateien/polam-311-ru.PDF
So this refers to the P-311/312. It looks very similar to the 211, but has a lighting system mounted where the turret would be.
There will be a lot of information on what the knobs & adjusting screws do.
There is also a pdf on the P211, as stated, but it is just an image and specifications. Not very detailed.

User avatar
Dmi3n
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Location: Russia, Kaliningrad

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#20 Post by Dmi3n » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 am

alandavison wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 am
Possible errror correction and update.
Reference is:-
mikroscopfreunde-nordhessen.de/dateien/polam-311-ru.PDF
So this refers to the P-311/312. It looks very similar to the 211, but has a lighting system mounted where the turret would be.
There will be a lot of information on what the knobs & adjusting screws do.
There is also a pdf on the P211, as stated, but it is just an image and specifications. Not very detailed.
Unfortunately I couldn't find any literature about it. Again, it is very rare scope on the secondary market, they are still in use. My friend has one in his institute's lab but the manual is long lost, as it often happens.
Scopes: CZJ NfPk w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv phase contrast, Epi Pol illuminator, trinocular head, CZJ Epityp-2 Pol (currently dismantled for full restoration and recollimation) w/ D32 microhardness tester and photomicrography attachment.

Zuul
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri May 01, 2020 9:01 pm
Location: California

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#21 Post by Zuul » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Are Lomo (or Lytkarino) stereo microscopes available to you very often? I don’t know how many (or none?) were made with trinocular heads, but that would very interesting.

User avatar
Dmi3n
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Location: Russia, Kaliningrad

Re: LOMO microscope hunting for you

#22 Post by Dmi3n » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:40 am

Zuul wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:21 pm
Are Lomo (or Lytkarino) stereo microscopes available to you very often? I don’t know how many (or none?) were made with trinocular heads, but that would very interesting.
Stereomicroscopes themselves are widely available here but relatively expensive (300$ and more for new MBS-10, older models are cheaper). Trinocular head for them called МФУ (MFU) is very rare, seen it maybe 2-3 times on russian sites for 150-200$ alone.
Scopes: CZJ NfPk w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv phase contrast, Epi Pol illuminator, trinocular head, CZJ Epityp-2 Pol (currently dismantled for full restoration and recollimation) w/ D32 microhardness tester and photomicrography attachment.

Post Reply