Compound microscope recommendations?

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
tsyme1

Compound microscope recommendations?

#1 Post by tsyme1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:16 am

Hello there,

I am a medical entomologist working on a research project which will soon require the use of a compound microscope. Except for some practical classes taken during my undergraduate and Master’s degrees, my knowledge of microscopes is fairly limited so I wondered if someone with more expertise here could point me in the right direction!

Our team is looking to buy a compound microscope for visualising dissected mosquito ovaries and the eggs contained inside them. The mosquito eggs within the ovaries can be visualised well at around 400x magnification (see link images of mosquito ovaries under microscope below). We are also looking to take pictures of the ovaries so a microscope fitted with a camera which can be connected to a computer would be desirable. We probably aren’t looking to spend much more than $1,000 but can be flexible depending on your advice. Based on this admittedly limited description are there any models you would recommend?

Many thanks :)

https://malariajournal.biomedcentral.co ... /figures/5

daruosha

Re: Compound microscope recommendations?

#2 Post by daruosha » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:28 am

Based on your description of what you want and expect and also looking at the images, any half decent microscope will do the job. With $1,000 you have many options from used market to Chinese and even based models from top brands. Since you're using the microscope for an actual research , my personal suggestion is don't bother with any second hand microscope and get a brand new Zeiss PrimoStar or an Olympus Cx22/Cx23 or Nikon E100. You'll have a proper corporate support too. You need a bit more budget though.
Daruosh.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:55 am

Couple questions. First, location? That affects availability of good used equipment. Second, do you hope the microscope will help with the dissection and/or manipulation of the subject?? That will affect both the mechanic qualities of the scope and perhaps a choice of very long working distance objectives.

tsyme1

#4 Post by tsyme1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:56 am

E
Last edited by tsyme1 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

tsyme1

#5 Post by tsyme1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 am

daruosha wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:28 am
Based on your description of what you want and expect and also looking at the images, any half decent microscope will do the job. With $1,000 you have many options from used market to Chinese and even based models from top brands. Since you're using the microscope for an actual research , my personal suggestion is don't bother with any second hand microscope and get a brand new Zeiss PrimoStar or an Olympus Cx22/Cx23 or Nikon E100. You'll have a proper corporate support too. You need a bit more budget though.
Many thanks for your suggestions.

tsyme1

#6 Post by tsyme1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:00 am

PeteM wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:55 am
Couple questions. First, location? That affects availability of good used equipment. Second, do you hope the microscope will help with the dissection and/or manipulation of the subject?? That will affect both the mechanic qualities of the scope and perhaps a choice of very long working distance objectives.
We are based in Benin, West Africa but we work for a British institution so would probably look to get it delivered in the UK first to avoid the hassle of shipping. We would only be using the compound microscope to see the ovaries at higher magnifications. We will use a dissecting microscope to help us perform the dissections, the issue with using the dissecting microscope is that you can't see the ovaries and eggs inside them very well.

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:13 pm

Is the microscope going to be used in a lab and stay there, or will it need to be moved around or possibly be used in a location where electricity might not be available?

tsyme1

#8 Post by tsyme1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:17 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:13 pm
Is the microscope going to be used in a lab and stay there, or will it need to be moved around or possibly be used in a location where electricity might not be available?
It will be used in the lab with a reliable source of electricity. We are not looking to use something in the field.

deBult

#9 Post by deBult » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:22 pm

An excellent resource for both used ( http://www.usedmicroscopes.co.uk/ ) and new ( http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/ ) in the UK is Brunel.

For tropical use it is wise to take preventive measures to avoid fungus. Some new Nikon and Olympus microscope are treated with anti fungus coating.

A simple antifungus solution is to put a bucket upside down over the scope: some holes in the bottom plus a small lamp mounted inside (to raise the temp inside the bucket approx 5 degrees centigrade) will do.

Best, deBult
Last edited by deBult on Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeteM

#10 Post by PeteM » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 pm

I'd second DeBult's recommendation of Brunel. They can get you directly to a good scope that might be a bit more than you could find on your own, but with a greater assurance it will work properly. Both Brunel's reputation and my limited experience suggest they are one of the better and more reasonably priced dealers -- about as good as you'll find anywhere.

Since you want good pictures and have subjects with some depth of field, "focus stacking" software is something to consider -- it's quite affordable and just requires a series of digital images and a decent computer to run the software.

MicroBob

#11 Post by MicroBob » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:07 pm

PeteM wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 pm
Since you want good pictures and have subjects with some depth of field, "focus stacking" software is something to consider -- it's quite affordable and just requires a series of digital images and a decent computer to run the software.
And it requires a fixed camera. Smartphone on eyepiece won't work for stacking.

Bob

Scarodactyl

#12 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:04 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:07 pm

And it requires a fixed camera. Smartphone on eyepiece won't work for stacking.

Bob
It can be done. I used to crank thr focus with one hand while holding the phone over the eyepiece in the other while burst shooting on my stereozoom 7. It's not ideal but the right stacking software can be pretty forgiving.

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 pm

Are you familiar with the company Sysmex? They are a medical diagnostics company , originally from Japan but they have a global presence. They have a branch in the U.K. and also Sysmex West and Central Africa, which may be headquartered in Ghana or possibly Nigeria. They supply a specialized lab microscope, made by Partec Gmbh, a German division of Sysmex. It is a full function lab microscope but with portable capabilities. It has incident fluorescence and BF transmitted illumination, 4 objectives up to oil immersion and an 18mm binocular f.o.v. They are are around $1000.00 in the U.K. but should also be available through Sysmex in Africa. You would get full equipment support and due to it's fluorescence ability the instrument might have applications beyond your current focus. One of it's features is it's ability to provide quick malaria diagnosis although I understand , that is not your requirement. It may not have plan optics, in order to keep the cost of it down and it has only an 18mm f.o.v. but otherwise looks to be a pretty impressive instrument , given it's origins and price.
https://us.sysmex-flowcytometry.com/ins ... pe-plus-hp

It is light for sure, so mounting a camera would not be possible, nor does it have trinocular but afocal systems , where the camera is mounted on a small tripod and centered over an eyepiece, work quite well for basic documentation, if that is all you need. That can be set up with a precision jig, so after viewing, the camera can be moved into place precisely , picture(s) taken and then move on. The camera could be left in place , if tethered to a screen.

caywltz

#14 Post by caywltz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:14 am

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 pm
Are you familiar with the company Sysmex? They are a medical diagnostics company , originally from Japan but they have a global presence. They have a branch in the U.K. and also Sysmex West and Central Africa, which may be headquartered in Ghana or possibly Nigeria. They supply a specialized lab microscope, made by Partec Gmbh, a German division of Sysmex. It is a full function lab microscope but with portable capabilities. It has incident fluorescence and BF transmitted illumination, 4 objectives up to oil immersion and an 18mm binocular f.o.v. They are are around $1000.00 in the U.K. but should also be available through Sysmex in Africa. You would get full equipment support and due to it's fluorescence ability the instrument might have applications beyond your current focus. One of it's features is it's ability to provide quick malaria diagnosis although I understand , that is not your requirement. It may not have plan optics, in order to keep the cost of it down and it has only an 18mm f.o.v. but otherwise looks to be a pretty impressive instrument , given it's origins and price.
https://us.sysmex-flowcytometry.com/ins ... pe-plus-hp

It is light for sure, so mounting a camera would not be possible, nor does it have trinocular but afocal systems , where the camera is mounted on a small tripod and centered over an eyepiece, work quite well for basic documentation, if that is all you need. That can be set up with a precision jig , so after viewing, the camera can be moved into place precisely , picture(s) taken and then move on. The camera could be left in place , if tethered to a screen.
Do you own that wonderful microscope? I haven't found the price
The features are nice

MichaelG.

#15 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:24 am

I am amused [and mildly irritated], to see that apochronaut’s jig has, when quoted, magically produced a hyperlink to an advertisement.

... We live in mysterious times.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#16 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:21 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:24 am
I am amused [and mildly irritated], to see that apochronaut’s jig has, when quoted, magically produced a hyperlink to an advertisement.

... We live in mysterious times.

MichaelG.
The link appears in the response before the quote

Scarodactyl

#17 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:58 pm

It doesn't. They are doing a subtle form of spam where links are inserted to inane posts for SEO purposes. It might be malware on their computer but they just registered and have made 4 posts, three of which are vaguely relevant but contentless stuff.