Found: Leitz K4 condenser lens (Can a mod please move this to the equipment discussion? Thanks!)

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.

mrsonchus

Re: Found: Leitz K4 condenser lens (Can a mod please move this to the equipment discussion? Thanks!)

#32 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:00 pm

Leitzcycler wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:46 pm
Thanks, this is important information! After seeing the above pictures and looking my condenser there is actually an auxiliary lens. I never thought it is an extra lens. I took it out, however there is a text: "Laborlux" :shock: Now I am confused. Image seems to be ok as far as I understand. However, the condenser seems not to be the proper one for Orthoplan. At least in theory.
Aha! Don't worry - the presence of the lens marked Laborlux very likely means this is a K1 - meant for the Laborlux. It seems to me, as mentioned in the Leitz material already posted, that the adjustment for distance is to optimise the conjugal planes of the Leitz 'scope models - in the case of the K1 presumably to ensure that the plane of the field diaphragm is conjugal with the focused image by ensuring that the condenser focuses it accordingly? This being a requirement for Kohler I think. A while back a member posted a link to a very informative video re conjugal planes, which is where this idea has sprung from.

The 'base' condenser is known as the 600-series (the so-called Leitz 'bathtub' slide-in condenser). The last digit is to signify which Leitz model it's been optimised for by the use of the appropriate auxiliary lens. In the case of the Orthoplan the addition of a K4 makes the 600-series condenser a '603' version. So, your base condenser is obviously a 600-series so no need to worry - you just have to decide if you'll bother or need to fit the K400 for (in your case) an Orthoplan's optics. In short - your condenser's fine, even with the K1 I'd think - but if you find a K4 all the better.

I still have a K1 in my drawer from when I was in the same position - I went on to find and fit a K4 (since sold with my Orthoplan when I moved over to Olympus BX') but still have the K1 hanging around.

Incidentally the 'whitish-cream-coloured' area seen in images of a K4 is just part of the inner surface, bent to look curved by the K4 lens in images....
John B

MichaelG.

Re: Found: Leitz K4 condenser lens (Can a mod please move this to the equipment discussion? Thanks!)

#33 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:30 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:00 pm
Incidentally the 'whitish-cream-coloured' area seen in images of a K4 is just part of the inner surface, bent to look curved by the K4 lens in images....
Thanks for the enlightenment, John
... I remain intrigued by the K4, and would like to properly understand its formulation.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Rorschach

Re: WTB: Leitz K4 condenser lens

#34 Post by Rorschach » Mon May 18, 2020 3:41 am

Leitzcycler wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:07 pm
There is OrtholuxII, yes. However, it seems there is much more both Orthoplan stands and accessories in the market. For me, the high quality and modularity, especially easy attachment of fluorescence device Ploemopak is of high value. Large field of view is nice ( I have 30mm wide field eyepieces), however I am not so convinced it is so critical in revealing new details from the sample as Leitz advertise. You eyes can't see so large field of view at a time and scannig the field by your eyes may also be stressing. This is not only my opinion as I red something similar from somewhere some time ago, however don't remember where it was. Anyway the large field of view gives me a nice feeling that I am more "in" the landscape of the sample. After using Orthoplan some time I get an anxious feeling when looking into a microscope with a normal field of view. But I think this psychological effect might have nothing (or only little) to do with getting the actual information from the sample.

Without the auxiliary lens the image is good for me. It might be very hard to find, and probably relatively expensive taking into account my poor economical situation for running my lab in which most costs are not related to microscopy :( .
Which lamp do you use for fluorescence?

Leitzcycler

#35 Post by Leitzcycler » Mon May 18, 2020 11:09 am

Which lamp do you use for fluorescence?
I put it here viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9420