WTB: Olympus short-barrel PlanApo 40x and 100x

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
viktor j nilsson

WTB: Olympus short-barrel PlanApo 40x and 100x

#1 Post by viktor j nilsson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:54 am

Hello,

Does anyone have any Olympus short-barrel Plan Apo objectives to sell or trade? I am specifically looking for the 40x 0.95 and the 100x 1.30. Might also be tempted by a 4x or a 20x, but I only have DIC prisms for 10x, 40x and 100x and I've already found a 10x.
SB PA.jpg
SB PA.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 2900 times
Preferably in Europe. I have quite a lot of Nikon CF and Wild M20 equipment to trade with if that is interesting.

The reason I am looking is that I lucked out on a massive 1970's Olympus Vanox AH with DIC (the older short-barrel version for the BH), polarization equipment, 100w Halogen illumination, and FK photoeyepiece + microphotographic adapter L. Local pickup, $930.

It came with Plan Achromats, Phase and Pol objectives. These are fine, but I am curious to see how the original short-barrel Planapo's perform and work with DIC.

Here is the beast in all it's glory:
Last edited by viktor j nilsson on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbyst46

Re: WTB: Olympus short-barrel PlanApo 40x and 100x

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 am

Congratulations on that scope. It is extremely heavy, but ergonomic.
BTW, I am quite certain that long barrel objectives can be used on it - at least for brightfield, do not know about other modes of illumination.

viktor j nilsson

#3 Post by viktor j nilsson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:22 am

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 am
Congratulations on that scope. It is extremely heavy, but ergonomic.
BTW, I am quite certain that long barrel objectives can be used on it - at least for brightfield, do not know about other modes of illumination.
Thank you! And it is indeed very, very stable to say the least. Eventually, I hope to find a rotating square stage with drop-down XY controls. Then I will have nothing to complain about regarding its ergonimics. My scopre has those xy-controls that clamp onto the rotating stage. Works OK, but not ideal.

It has plenty of room for long-barrel objectives. Both the head and stage slides on dovetails so they can be moved considerably. Could probably use even longer objectives than 45mm parfocal if I wanted to. So that is not the issue.

The issue is compatibility with the BH-era DIC equipment. I will continue to perform more tests, but it seems like most of my LB objectives do not produce as good DIC effect as the SB objectives. Some mismatched combinations seems to work well, however, as shown by René and PeteM in a thread I started over at photomacrography.net:
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 8&start=30

But since it came with all the photographic equipment necessary for SB objectives, and since these are generally rather affordable used, even the PlanApos, I am thinking that it might be better to go down that road, rather than try to fiddle around with mismatched combinations, non-standard phototubes or afocal arrangements.

Micro_UTRG

#4 Post by Micro_UTRG » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:52 am

Hi.
Although not exactly what you requested, I have a Short barrel FL 40x 0.75. I got it for my CH-2 but didn't know it wouldn't function properly.
Please contact me if you want it.
Pd. I'm in Mexico

viktor j nilsson

#5 Post by viktor j nilsson » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:55 am

Thanks for the offer, Micro. However, I think that shipping+taxes would make it too expensive in the end. I'd be willing to eat that if I find a PlanApo, but not the Fluorite, sorry.

Micro_UTRG

#6 Post by Micro_UTRG » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:52 pm

No worries. I hope you find it.