Need advice on selling two BX60's

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
nhtalbot

Need advice on selling two BX60's

#1 Post by nhtalbot » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:16 pm

At my previous job I bought a BX50, BX41 and two BX60's for inspection work in our production floor cleanroom. They were great scopes and I used them a lot. Sadly, that company got into hard times and auctioned off most of it's assets last week. I attended the auction and when the BX60's seemed to be going too cheap and knowing how wonderful they are, I picked them up. I have some sentimental attachment to them, so I probably paid too much. Well, I tried to sell them to two different online microscope vendors and they are offering me less than what I paid for them even though they are fully loaded (BF/DF, DIC, full suite of objectives) and come with cameras, computers, and image capture software.

I am hesitant to ebay them because of how ebay is really set up to protect buyers, not sellers. I have never ebay'ed something so expensive and I don't want to get shafted. Anyway shipping these things is going to be expensive and tricky.

I'm in the LA area, so I guess I could try Craigslist.
In any members here are interested, please PM me.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

PeteM

Re: Need advice on selling two BX60's

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:49 pm

I believe it would be OK to put them up on the equipment exchange part of this forum, with pictures and prices. They sound like reflected scopes; so may be of limited interest to those doing biological specimens.

No harm trying to sell on Craigslist. Around here (Bay Area) sellers either lack descriptions or believe they're holding a lottery ticket; so the same microscope shows up again and again for months or years.

A dealer isn't likely to give you more than 50% of street value, even if they have good prospects of a sale. Less if it isn't of interest to current clients.

Ebay is the most robust market. But as you say, there's some tiny fraction looking to take advantage; especially on high value items. We recently had an Olympus seller inquiring here. Ended up selling for less on one item and more on another on Ebay than members offered; but had to pay Ebay fees.

nhtalbot

Re: Need advice on selling two BX60's

#3 Post by nhtalbot » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:07 am

Hi Pete,
Many thanks for the advice.
Best regards.