Zeiss transmited DIC nosepiece

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
75RR

Zeiss transmited DIC nosepiece

#1 Post by 75RR » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:01 pm

Heads up to those with a Universal or Photomicroscope interested in transmitted DIC (latest)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Zeiss-Mikroskop ... Swjhdfp4xg

Note: Nothing to do with me, just thought some members might be interested.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

elvis_saya

Re: Zeiss transmited DIC nosepiece

#2 Post by elvis_saya » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:45 am

Thanks 75RR for sharing. Listing has inaccurate description saying it's for Standard 18.

Looks like the nosepiece removed from a Universal that has DIC factory installed... Screwed tightly and adhered in place.

I took the chance and asked the seller if the adapters can be removed. He answered in the negative. My German is bad, hope there is nothing lost in translation:

Me: Hallo, können die DIC-Adapter von Objektivrevolver abgeschraubt werden? Vielen dank.
Seller: Nein

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:27 am

Google translate of your german gives me this: Hello, can the DIC adapters be unscrewed from the nosepiece? Many thanks.

So I am sure he got the gist.

It can be done, but there are two important things to know.

1.) Many Zeiss owners (quite rightly) disapprove of this as they are factory aligned and it is a real shame to mess that up.

2.) It is very easy to damage/ruin the Slide Holders in the attempt as they are glued in place. In which case everyone loses.

Setting the Slide Holders up correctly in a new nosepiece is difficult.

Have you considered getting a Universal/Photomicroscope? That would be the ideal solution.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

ImperatorRex

#4 Post by ImperatorRex » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:36 pm

75RR wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:27 am
1.) Many Zeiss owners (quite rightly) disapprove of this as they are factory aligned and it is a real shame to mess that up.
I have retro-fitted and installed several Zeiss nosepieces with DIC stools. Allignment of the slot direction itself is not really the problem. But the retrofitted DIC stools never achived the same accuracy to be "Centered" as the factory alligned nosepieces. So when turning the nosepiece to the next objective the field diaphragm move much more out of the centered position compared with the accurately colimetered factory installed Dic Stool nosepieces.

So no way to dismantle a factory equippes DIC nosepiece!

elvis_saya

#5 Post by elvis_saya » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:46 pm

I guess I am screwed by my part by part project...

But the factory installed DIC seated nosepieces should then come with its corresponding frame/body? I mean Zeiss sold these as whole systems perfectly collimated. So ebay sellers 'cannibalizing' parts will also cause troubles - you buy a DIC nosepiece and install it on your frame and again your collimation with field diaphragm is not centered.

I guess the best solution is to buy a whole DIC scope, if you are lucky enough to find one.
Have you considered getting a Universal/Photomicroscope? That would be the ideal solution.
Yes I am tempted to buy a Universal, especially with prices competitive say to a WL. But the size and weight prevents me - as I am not located in EU or US or where most sellers are. I have to use a freight forwarder and double the shipping costs.