Air conditioning new lab

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Dale

Air conditioning new lab

#1 Post by Dale » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:55 am

The lab is nearing design completion. Size 8' by 10', big daylight window, dedicated ac line for
the 8 outlets, 8' linoleum counter-top set to proper height, padded linoleum floor, a nearly air-
tight door, space for both a 4' and a 6' desk/table, and massive storage area!
I had to convince the builder I wasn't doing the Walter White thing! What I am waffling on
is ventilation. I can exhaust up through the roof, laterally into the garage, or straight outside.
Then he suggested a vent from the air-conditioning. That would give me a constant temperature,
and filtered air.
To be effective I think the room would have to be able to vent the air, or I would just be pressurizing
the room. I want to keep out any crawly creatures, and dust.
Any thoughts?
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

75RR

Re: Air conditioning new lab

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:22 am

To be effective I think the room would have to be able to vent the air, or I would just be pressurizing
You should confirm this but my understanding is that higher pressure in the room will help to keep dust out.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:48 am

75RR wrote:
You should confirm this but my understanding is that higher pressure in the room will help to keep dust out.
This is true - the so-called 'positive-pressure' vs 'negative-pressure' - your model must of course bring-in air (to supply the extra 'positive' pressure) to ensure uncontrolled air-flow is inside-->outside - no incoming dust from door-opening etc - as long as the input is filtered of course.

'Smelly' or indeed dangerous labs have the opposite arrangement - all output is filtered and under 'negative-pressure' to ensure nothing 'escapes' through door opening etc - which will draw air into the lab under positive pressure - I love the 'hissy doors' of such a lab..

Problematic though, smells from the lab will be pushed out of the door as it's used, and the input really may be better coming from the 'conditioned' air (i.e. dry & warm) from within your home rather than from outside - filtering will not dry or warm the incoming air.

Sounds like a nice lab coming on there! :D :mrgreen:
John B

rabitt

#4 Post by rabitt » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:56 am

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with your room design.
If you want what is called a CLEAN ROOM check out clean room design
on the internet for ideas.
If I understand your basic requirements I would put a HEPA filter on
incoming & out going air along with a room size MiniAer ( brand name) air ionizer.
It also depends the additional cost to do this. I would say $500.00 Plus or minus.

MiniAer Small Space Plug-In Air Purifier
by Triad Aer $149.99

Home forced air heating / air conditioning systems can be set up with good quality air filters but
cost of filters is high.

Hope this helps.

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:32 pm

Here is an option for a one room AC and Heat with the compressor outside and the main AC/Heat unit inside with no duct work required with only a hole to run the condenser tubing. This one is for 400 sq ft but they also have 540, 800 and 1200 sq ft units. The 400-540 units run on 115v but the 800-1200 runs on 230V. With this unit you have both AC and heat.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Celiera-9-500-B ... r/50236347

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Celiera-18-000- ... r/50236345

Dale

#6 Post by Dale » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:00 pm

My goal, after hours of reading, is positive air pressure, and temperature control. The computers generate a lot of heat, and
the lighting. The room is very close to the heat pump, which has a non-commercial hepa type filter. I checked out
your suggestions, and they didn't seem as efficient or quiet as a single ceiling vent.
A lot depends on the cost, but the wifey gets her catio, so I get my cat hair free lab.
Dale

rabitt

#7 Post by rabitt » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:48 pm

When everything is completed would like to see some photos and hear about the overall operation.
Sounds like you'll end up with a mini cleanroom without the airlock double doors.

We built a building about 12 years ago 24 x 36 feet, half garage half workshop 18 x 18 walled off.
Heated & cooled shop with combination window air conditioner heater. Very expensive to operate.
Ended up heating with window unit pellet stove, heats great but a bum to maintain.

Dale

#8 Post by Dale » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:47 pm

We should be moved in this time next year, and I will post pictures. There will be a lengthy honey-do
list for the rest of the house, and I have to put down a floor and molding before the scope desk can be solidly mounted.
OMG, it just dawned on me that rubber covebase would be easier and quicker than woodmolding, and probably
much better for cleaning.
Dale