New lab lighting advice really needed

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Dale

Re: New lab lighting advice really needed

#31 Post by Dale » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:31 am

After laying things out to scale, a desk under the window would narrow the room too much. The window is a high
mounted 1' by 8'. Putting the 8' countertop there would leave a lot of useless space on each end.
I am moving 4 tall bookshelves for temporary storage. They can be stripped for shelving. The laundry
room will be my secret wet table, no easy water or drainage in lab area.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

Dale

#32 Post by Dale » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Finalized plans, but with 2 changes. No air, but a good exhaust fan. and a wall heater. Ventilation will be
negative, but better than none.
Dale

Oktagon

#33 Post by Oktagon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Negative ventilation has its benefits, but has a major drawback for clean labs. You will be sucking all the dust in from the floor under the door and blowing it upwards towards the exhaust fan. I would suggest installing a window AC unit, which has filter, gives you positive flow and climate control, or one of those wall units you see in some offices. Those things work as forced air heaters as well.
As far as running water, you can always install a portable reservoir on the wall and fill it with distilled water. Small plastic sink with collection jar go under the reservoir. Typical lab reservoir holds 20-40L, so this is more than enough for water consumption, even if you was your hands there. This is what I used to have until I had additional sink put in the lab. I find running water indispensable for many reasons, including safety. Also, I would highly recommend CO2 fire extinguisher rather then foam or powder one. If you ever have to use it, you will not ruin your equipment.

75RR

#34 Post by 75RR » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:13 pm

Took the liberty of coming up with an alternate floor plan, hope you do not mind.

Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Dale

#35 Post by Dale » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:53 am

RR, That 'window' is 10" high, and 7' from the floor. Putting much of anything along that wall starts to narrow the room.
Instead of a computer desk I decided to use another linoleum prefab countertop.
Okta, there are no windows, that would have been a great idea. The builder suggested I install a 'sweeper brush'
on the bottom of the door. I have a nice one-room self-contained a/c unit that could be used to bring the temp down,
but it's way too noisy to be in the room while it's running. There is no way to get running water now. I will have to
assess my need for it in the future, and probably build something like you suggested. Thanks for the CO2 tip.
Construction starts next month :)
Dale

75RR

#36 Post by 75RR » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:55 am

I added the sink as I think that Oktagon is right, it is a useful addition.
As far as running water, you can always install a portable reservoir on the wall and fill it with distilled water. Small plastic sink with collection jar go under the reservoir. Typical lab reservoir holds 20-40L, so this is more than enough for water consumption, even if you was your hands there. This is what I used to have until I had additional sink put in the lab. I find running water indispensable for many reasons, including safety.
Just saw your post! You should measure the space between the two benches - it does not look too narrow, if your benches are 2 foot wide I measure about 4 feet + of floor between them.
Last edited by 75RR on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dale

#37 Post by Dale » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:24 am

11' minus 2 2' desks leave a little less than 7'. I will devour you plan, as I am not locked into anything until I tell
the electrician where the light boxes need to be. I am going to mount all desks the same height, and use only one chair.
I can't figure if I need 8' or 10' for the 3 scopes, by the end of the month I should have a mock-up.
I'm balking at using so much space for a sink, but not ruling it out. Maybe I should mount the countertops with
velcrose!
I gotta color my plans and study your suggestions.
Dale

Oktagon

#38 Post by Oktagon » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:44 pm

I was looking at 75RR's floor plan, and single countertop going around the room is a great idea. Now about the sink, since you are not locked in to the location of pipes/sewer, as you will have none, I would mount a small reservoir and a plastic sink on the wall by the door, right next to your microscope bench. Use it for washing slides, re-filling your dH2O bottle etc. I would actually put the computer on the side counter, next to microscopy bench. I'm assuming you will be using computer as a data collection station, so there will be cables running to the scopes. The bench opposite from microscopy bench can be used as clean/wet bench. It would make allot of sense to hang the water reservoir somewhere there, but there is no space. What do you think about that?

75RR

#39 Post by 75RR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:08 pm

Another suggestion, though I can't really tell which are outside walls and which give on to the garage (apart from the one with the window), I thought that putting the water tank/storage unit and the waste bucket on one side of a wall and the sink on the other would limit spillage within the Lab when filling the tank or removing the waste bucket.

Dale

#40 Post by Dale » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:47 pm

I copied the 'new' floor plan, and am considering it. I don't want to be walled in. There is a sink in the laundry
room maybe 20' away that will have to do for awhile. I saw a lot of portable designs. The interior walls are
North and East.
Having to reinstall operating system in big pc, so I'm socked in for a while.
Dale