What cleaning solutions at home?

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
lScopysScopegScope

What cleaning solutions at home?

#1 Post by lScopysScopegScope » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:58 pm

So, just a side thought, I got lost down the forum rabbit hole of maintenance and care of the scope. Today I ordered my lense paper and such but I want to know what you guys use to clean your lenses when you're at home.
Some of the more standard chemicals I would feel fine using in a lab with good and proper storage and ventilation but I would not feel comfortable storing them in my apartment or bedroom. Personally I think I'll be okay with the safer stuff and when I get a whopper of crud on my lenses I'll deal with it as it comes but what do the other home microscopists do?

75RR

Re: What cleaning solutions at home?

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:17 pm

Can't really go wrong with this booklet: The Clean Microscope (Zeiss)

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1428
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Oliver

#3 Post by Oliver » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:30 pm

Today I ordered my lense paper
Use lens paper only for removing immersion oil. There is the danger of scratching the lens, as the paper is "hard". Better to use pure cotton, as it has a larger surface area to trap dust and there is less danger of pressing dust grains against the glass.

About the solution: ether:ethanol mixture (80:20), but best to read manufacturer recommendations. Do not use solutions for cleaning glasses etc.
Oliver
Image Oliver Kim - http://www.microbehunter.com - Microscopes: Olympus CH40 - Olympus CH-A - Breukhoven BMS student microscope - Euromex stereo - uSCOPE MXII

lScopysScopegScope

#4 Post by lScopysScopegScope » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:16 am

@75RR
Thanks, I've been drawing from that source a lot, I'm guessing you use the methods it outlines.

@Oliver
Yeah I've been hearing that. I'm going to try not to touch or clean anything unnecessarily but I will be using the oil frequently so I do feel I need it. I also purchased a dust bulb and a little sample bottle of optical lense cleaner for the stuff water can't get. I'm also thinking about Texwipe swabs since I can't seem to pin down a high grade cotton.
The one thing I'm sure of is there are many conflicting bits of advise out there for acceptable solutions.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:12 am

Thanks, I've been drawing from that source a lot, I'm guessing you use the methods it outlines.
Pretty much.
My mainstay consists of cotton wool, isopropanol alcohol 70%* and blunted bamboo sticks for the lenses plus
washing-up liquid for the slides and cover slips.
*(can't seem to find an inexpensive source of petroleum ether to make up the L solution - see page 12)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)