Remember Kids, Do Try This At Home

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
KurtM

Remember Kids, Do Try This At Home

#1 Post by KurtM » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:13 pm

The latest Micscape is out, and it's a particularly interesting edition for me because I ran into an old friend while reading it! That is to say, some time back while searching Google Images for who-knows-what, I stumbled upon a picture of a fellow using a stereo microscope to gaze into a small aquarium. I did not save the picture, and when I looked for it again I couldn't find it. But here it is again, suddenly appearing in a Micscape article: the memoirs of "An Old Microscopist."

And the article, which I recommend as a fun read:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html

Anyway, that image inspired me, as few others ever do, and it instantly became a case where I simply could not rest until I had one of these rigs for my self. Which didn't take long:

Once I had my version of the set up, I became quite enthusiastic about it, I tried to find that original picture again but for whatever reason could never relocate it. So in the latest Micscape, imagine the pleasant surprise I got while reading Dr. Manuel del Cerros' very interesting article on his lifetime of microscopes, and finding the picture of him using his stereo scope to observe "pond water" in retirement. Now, not only do I finally have the photo back again, but also learn who the guy is and get full context of the scene, which makes the whole thing even more interesting and inspiring!

I've urged others to try something like this many times since, and here I am at it again. The micro-aquarium I show in the second image was an easy DIY using inexpensive items from the local hardware store: window pane glass (I actually asked for scraps since only small pieces are needed), a glass cutter, a tube of silicone aquarium sealant, and masking tape. The stereo scope was purchased for ~$35 on eBay, and the adapter to photo tripod is garage-shop DIY. I am also using an inexpensive eBay macro focusing rail, which isn't necessary, just nice.

So what can you expect to see? Well for starters, how about Conochilus, Volvox, and Cladocera, as seen here through a DSLR and macro lens + extension tubes. There is a whole world of other such critters to see including rotifers of all sorts, Hydra, Desmid "lawns", colonies of Stentor, Vorticella, Bryozoan ... the list is endless, actually.

If a miniature aquarium is more than you care to tackle right off, this sort of observing is as easy as placing a sample container under a stereo scope. Just about any stereo scope should serve. The most important ingredient is light - you can never have too much light. Those Ikea Jansjo gooseneck LED lamps are awfully hard to beat: http://tinyurl.com/hsjc7lf .

Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

btschumy

Re: Remember Kids, Do Try This At Home

#2 Post by btschumy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Kurt,

I've been thinking about setting up a small aquarium just for this purpose. Outside sources tend to be frozen in Colorado this time of year.

How did you populate the tank? Looks like you might have some water plants and not just algae.

I assume it is not aerated and you just let the plants take on that role?
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX
AO Spencer "Cycloptic" Stereo Microscope (Series 56C)

rnabholz

#3 Post by rnabholz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:00 pm

I read that article yesterday and immediately thought of you and your nifty set up.

Meant to sent you the link, but you found it on your own.

A setup like that is on the to do list.

KurtM

#4 Post by KurtM » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Bill, I regard the aquariums as nothing more than sample containers like any other, except they happen to be made of flat glass so I can peer into them from the side. As such, I simply fill them with pond water samples, in which I always include a bit of bottom mud/debris, some algae/slime/moss, and a bit of whatever aquatic vegetation is at hand. If I see anything else that needs to be represented and can fit in the container, then I add it too. In short, I try to get as realistic "a slice of pond" as practicable. After that, I do nothing to maintain it such as aeration or feeding, although I do provide ample sunlight. Here are a couple on a window shelf; one is well established, the other fresh and still in the process of settling out.

The sharp eyed may notice that one is made of window pane glass of ~1/8" thickness, and the other of 1/4" glass. I find neither is better than the other. Also note that both have thin Plexiglas lids that drastically slow evaporation but allow breathing.

Rod, I say keep your eye out for a super cheap stereo scope in the meantime, since you seem to have a knack for killer eBay deals...
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Rod,

B&L StereoZoom 7 on a boom arm will do the job, if you don't want to DIY a tripod mount. The boom arm takes a bit of desk space and is very heavy though.

I know a microscopist who may want to sell his B&L boom arm. He sold me his transmitted light base and told me he has a boom arm to unload if I want it. PM me if you like more info.

I like my SZ7 a lot, especially its zoom knob. Very hand when scanning micro aquarium like Kurt's. I currently place mine on a stack of books and use a headless microscope frame to move my nano aquarium up-down and left-right. My nano aquarium is light and small though (it is basically a T75 cell culture flask).

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:49 pm

This is great on many levels! Thanks for the photos and links.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:36 pm

The latest Micscape is out, and it's a particularly interesting edition for me because I ran into an old friend while reading it!
Have you contacted him yet? He sounds like a really interesting guy - bet he will be pleased to hear how he inspired you from afar.

His email is at the bottom of the article in case you did not notice it.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

KurtM

#8 Post by KurtM » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:46 pm

75: Yes, you're quite right, I really ought to do that. Thanks for the prod.
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

billbillt

#9 Post by billbillt » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Hi Kurt,

Thanks for sharing a wonderful story and photos!..

BillT

btschumy

#10 Post by btschumy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:59 am

I got my little pond scum aquarium set up today. However, as the cloudy water cleared I see many mosquito larvae wriggling around. I guess I'll have to get a small fish net to harvest them before they mature. If my wife learns I brought mosquitoes into the house I'm dead.
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX

KurtM

#11 Post by KurtM » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:01 am

Or you could simply put a cover on top to prevent escape, then observe them as they pupate and eventually emerge. Why not, isn't that the whole point of the aquarium? To peep in on the secret lives of pond denizens? 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

btschumy

#12 Post by btschumy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:37 pm

The problem is I need to open the lid to sample the tank. That would let any emerged mosquitoes free in the house.

As the water has cleared more today, there is an amazing amount of activity going on. Lots of red worms attached to the glass. I can see copepods and cladocerans fliting all over the place. Surprisingly, the mosquito larvae are not to be seen today. Perhaps they are down in the algae but I thought even at this stage they needed to hang out at the surface for air.
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX

Crater Eddie

#13 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:58 pm

If you have a good population of organisms, maybe somebody ate them. :shock:
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

KurtM

#14 Post by KurtM » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:40 am

Well, I'd still recommend a top for the aquarium as good practice. It helps by keeping evaporation to a minimum, and any undue whatever out of the tank.

Great to hear you have a well populated bio-rama in there - please do feel free to issue reports and/or post pics any old time! I know my own micro-aquariums have provided as much or more satisfaction, amusement, and general entertainment as/than any full size fish tank I ever had, and all for a whole lot less expense and fuss. And it always fascinates me to know just how much life exists in such a little bitty environment. 8-)
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas

apochronaut

#15 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:30 am

Dr. Manuel del Cerro , now lives in Princeton. I just recently had an email communication with him, relating to Balplan microscopes, which was the choice at the U. of Rochester, where he was Professor Emeritus of Neurobiology and Opthamology.

btschumy

#16 Post by btschumy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:05 am

I thought I'd post a picture of the aquarium and a few things I found in it today.

There is so much life in this thing. I think you can see the red worms that hang on the side of the glass. Could those be blood worms? I think I also see either small snails or possibly Planaria. The translucent plaques yo see on the glass (and floating on the surface are rafts of Vorticella.

I'm assuming the big guy in the 3rd and 4th image is Stentor. Although this image doesn't really show it, I did see them occasionally stretched out

If anyone could ID the 2nd and 5th organisms, I'd like to know.
IMG_0764.jpg
IMG_0764.jpg (87.03 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0075.jpg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0051.jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
IMG_0058.jpg
IMG_0058.jpg (58.17 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
IMG_0031.jpg
IMG_0031.jpg (23.19 KiB) Viewed 8462 times
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX

actinophrys

#17 Post by actinophrys » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:04 pm

Mosquito larvae hang at the surface but there are other aquatic fly larvae that do not, like midges, which in at least my experience are much more common. Those include some red larvae with hemoglobin that get called blood worms – for instance in fish food – but there are also various little red oligochaetes that you might find in ponds. They're easy to tell apart up close, since most larvae have a distinct head and are not so contractile.

Picture #2 is a hypotrich (alternately called stichotrichs). This is a common group of ciliates but it is difficult to identify different types; many depend on the particular arrangement of the cirri for recognition, and even then some familiar genera like Oxytricha and Holosticha have either been taken apart or are still being revised.
Pictures #3-4 are I think Stentor roeselii based on the vermiform macronucleus and lack of pigment.
Picture #5 shows a Euplotes and probably a Litonotus.

btschumy

#18 Post by btschumy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks for the help on the IDs.
Bill Tschumy
Leitz SM-D LUX