THE AMATEUR SCIENTIST ON CD-ROM - LATEST EDITION - On Sale!

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.

Crater Eddie

Re: THE AMATEUR SCIENTIST ON CD-ROM - LATEST EDITION - On Sale!

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Very cool! I used to get the magazine back in the 70's and 80's, I might have to order this as there were some pretty darned good projects back in the day.
Thanks!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

zzffnn

#3 Post by zzffnn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:53 pm

Thank you. That looks very interesting.

Are there lots of figures and illustrations for "science fair projects"?

I don't like wall of text, which is what Scientific American is currently doing with many of their online "projects". Such as this one: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... on-rocket/

When it comes to instructions for simple science projects. I like old fashion figures like these: http://scarc.library.oregonstate.edu/om ... /show/4471

A figure can illustrate an idea much more quickly and clearly than a wall of text.

wporter

#4 Post by wporter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:27 pm

Yes, it's got all the priceless old Roger Hayward illustrations, and all the Amateur Scientist articles from 1928-2001 (if it's the same one I bought from Surplus Shed a few years ago.) Unfortunately, it is not a pdf file, but html made to come up in your browser; only a minor inconvenience, considering the content.

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:38 am

wporter wrote:Yes, it's got all the priceless old Roger Hayward illustrations, and all the Amateur Scientist articles from 1928-2001 (if it's the same one I bought from Surplus Shed a few years ago.) Unfortunately, it is not a pdf file, but html made to come up in your browser; only a minor inconvenience, considering the content.
Thank you very much. That was very helpful.

Yes, It is still the same 1928-2001 version on CD.

Does the CD-ROM offer good keyword search within articles' contents? For example, if I want to make a DIY rocket and search "rocket" in the CD-ROM, will all articles containing "rocket" in their contents show up in search result?

wporter

#6 Post by wporter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:41 am

I think the search engine might work under Windows, but I haven't been able to get it to work in Ubuntu Linux, although I can get the table-of-contents page and all the content pages to open in my browser (Firefox). You had better do an internet search on the subject to see if others have had any problems.