The Overlooked Local Source

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
75RR

#1 Post by 75RR » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:00 pm

In this day and age, despite seemingly having an abundance of choice, we tend to fall into single source ruts - our browser Google our shopping Amazon our sourcing of second hand goods ebay.

It is worthwhile remembering that sometimes there is a more local way to source used goods.
In Latin America it is called mercadolibre, in the case of forum members that live in the USA it is called craigslist

Designed to be a local service (one can adjust just how local) it consequently provides the very real advantage of allowing buyers to handle and test things before buying.

As far as microscopes go, that takes luck out of the equation - a boon for both beginners and even seasoned buyers.
There is simply no substitute for being able to get your hands on a microscope and put it through its paces.
Beginners in particular will benefit from (where possible) sellers instructions on setup and those small tips that ease one's first steps in microscopy.

Other advantages include its ability to transform that yearly family trip to your in-laws into something a little more palatable.
A rewarding search of craigslist in the area may provide a better reason to grin and bear it than threats of being banished to the couch ever did.

Compared to ebay, some buyers may find the limited number of goods available somewhat disappointing - do not be discouraged.
Local Sourcing is not about instant gratification - best to think of it as the modern equivalent of the old for sale advertisement in your local paper - and the paper in the next two or three towns should you wish to extend your search that far.

Not a substitute for ebay (which by the way allows a local search) but a complement.
So keep an eye on your local advertisers - you may find just what you were looking for.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

zzffnn

Re: The Overlooked Local Source

#2 Post by zzffnn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:41 pm

Check local surplus sale from government, universities and hospitals too. But there is usually bidding war with dealers (price is usually slightly lower than eBay). Do research on value/past sale price to be sure how much you should bid.
Last edited by zzffnn on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apochronaut

Re: The Overlooked Local Source

#3 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:52 pm

I agree with this entirely. There is also Kijiji as well. I have never bought any microscope related item from either but I tend not to look that hard in that direction. Part of this , is that I essentially at the bottom of an island stuck out in one of the Great Lakes, and the only really active C.L. or K markets near to me are about 150 miles away, east and west, although I briefly travel to one of them, weekly. For those living in or near to a large urban center, looking for an advertised microscope is a good additional option.
Same holds for clearouts from funded users. I have seen some really good advertised deals from such sources but being well away from the source, have never gotten involved.