Trichocysts

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
75RR

Trichocysts

#1 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:54 am

Followup on Microbia's: Homalozoon ciliate and its attack on rotifer

This is a video by Craig Smith I came across on youtube published in 2011 - Illumination: Phase Contrast

Paranema Stunned By A Passing Paramecium

This small Flagellate "Paranema" Protozoan is apparantly stunned by a mass of needle-like trichocystic threads that are discharged by a passing Paramecium when they collide 18 seconds into the video. A trichocyst is a structure in the cortex of certain ciliate and flagellate protozoans consisting of a cavity containing long, thin threads that can be ejected in response to certain stimuli. Trichocysts may be widely distributed over an organism or restricted to certain areas. They are characteristics of the Phylum Ciliophora. In ciliates and dinoflagellates, the trichocyst is an organelle that releases long filamentous proteins that capture prey in "nets" to slow them down when the cell is disturbed. The protein is nontoxic and shaped like a long, striated, fibrous shaft. The trichocyst is shaped like a hollow cavity filled with long, thin threads of protein. In Paramecium, trichocysts have filaments that are similar to harpoons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMWQL4B4YCA
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

billbillt

Re: Trichocysts

#2 Post by billbillt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks for posting!... I never realized that Trichocysts were used in such a large amount... No wonder they able to subdue their prey..

BillT

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Thanks, 75RR for this link, a lot to ponder in this flick! Often I encounter hordes of Paramecia species in natural mixed population with waters fleas, rotifers, other ciliate species. Amidst all the rapid collisions, slow rubing past eachother..no discharge of trichocysts occurs..and this in fresh collected, unstressed water samples.

It is fantastic to think of the mechanisms for selection of what particles to engulf ( vrs the years my then young son and I would pitch marbels by bull frogs..and watch the frogs ingest these marbels), to think of mechanisms which elicit trichocyst discharge by a Paramecium ...vrs all the encounters in which no trichocysts are discharged!

This topic seems like a concise behavior to study by a hobbyist microscopist! I even think of a silly 'Paramecium cookbook of favorite items and conditions for trichocyst discharge'...does a 'hungry Paramecium have a quicker tendancy to trichocyst discharge? Do trichocysts even function in feeding? I'll calm down now...thanks for a crisp phase contrast wetmount video link, 75RR.

BTW, my Nikon dl phase gives quite similar image to this video of Craig Smiths...I wonder what his optical setup was for the video? Charlie guevara

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Yes, this would seem to be a worthwhile project for a person with the eight equipment to research.. There are some unanswered questions here... Hmmmmm....

BillT