Hoyer's Microscope Slide Mounting Medium

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Lilly Begonia

Hoyer's Microscope Slide Mounting Medium

#1 Post by Lilly Begonia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:22 pm

I found this on Amazon while looking for a mounting needle, and it gets good reviews, but in what circumstances is it used?

https://www.amazon.com/Hoyers-Microscop ... merReviews

Seems people like it a lot, but what is it, how and when might I need it? If it's something good I want it. It seems to be for making permanent slides.

einman

Re: Hoyer's Microscope Slide Mounting Medium

#2 Post by einman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:44 am

John is perhaps one our best resources for mounting mediums.

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm

What an odd tease this product 'hijack' of the name: Hoyers mounting media is, Lilly! Hoyers mounting media harkens to the fantastic properties of chloral hydrate for relaxing muscular spasm/contractions of small invertebrates like hydras, worms, mites, crusteaceans.

Because of the chloral hydrate sedative/relaxant activities..Hoyers media with chloral hydrate might only be available to formal institutions with proper paper work for chloral hydrate procurement..Hoyers is fantastic to prevent your mounted organisms from being a tight-bunched up-contracted body form..but we microscopist/hobbyists can't purchase 'true Hoyers' mounting media..sigh. I wonder how this firm get's away with calling and selling their product as:"Hoyers mounting media"?!

It seems like the other properties of this product are useful...but how do they 'get away with' calling it "Hoyers"?

thanks for the useful link however, Lilly. Charlie guevara

einman

#4 Post by einman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:40 pm

Hoyers concocted the blend. It is not solely Chloral Hydrate, which despite the fact it requires a permit from the DEA to obtain and use, can be found on E-bay.

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:33 pm

The Chloral Hydrate brightens the specimen. This is a quick mountant for small animals. It is only medium permanent. The medium crystalizes often but not always after some time of storage.

Here is some more to read:

http://www.mikrohamburg.de/Tips/T_Berle ... arate.html

If you can get hold of Chloral Hydrate but not Hoyers medium:
https://www.amazon.de/Gutenberg-Gummier ... B002HHN3LC

You can mix this glue 1:1 with C.H. and are ready to go.

Bob

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:50 am

Hi all...einman...of course 'Hoyers mounting medium is not chloralhydrate alone...so please understand..this current 'Amazon marketed' product can simply not be: "Hoyers mounting media". Chlorahydrate products are not available on I nter-net commerce for many countries ( I reside con-USA..chloral hydrate products not available to 'hobbyists here)

The clever 'comments of people' posted in this product as...well they all exclaim: 'wow...hard to obtain...Hoyers media is now available...wonderful news!'...yet nowhere is the specific fomula of this...err...Hoyers mounting media specified in the Amazon ad...further more.. the wonderful and crucial capability of 'true Hoyers mounting media' ..is never mentioned in the shallow description of this product. I just wonder why specific use of: "Hoyers mounting media" is permitted for this marketed product?! Charlie guevara

elaniobro

#7 Post by elaniobro » Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:46 pm

ISO of Hoyers, I tried to purchase from https://hempsteadhalide.com/products/ho ... ing-medium, which a friend linked me to. Seems to be a shell corp, phone is off the hook and emails bounce.

Anyone have any links to a reputable distributor of Hoyers in the US?

Thanks!