Alcohol Burner

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
jimur

Alcohol Burner

#1 Post by jimur » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:54 pm

An odd question I suppose but do any of you folks use scented fuel in an alcohol burner? I want to try it, but I'm too cheap to mess up a wick in the event it isn't a good idea. :oops:
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

Peter

Re: Alcohol Burner

#2 Post by Peter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Hi Jim,
What would be the point?
Peter.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:38 pm

It is not a good idea.

jimur

#4 Post by jimur » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Well Peter the short answer would be "aroma". Of course it's always a good idea to add color to the fuel in a glass burner.
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

jimur

#5 Post by jimur » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:It is not a good idea.
Can you provide a reason?
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:34 pm

jimur wrote:
Hobbyst46 wrote:It is not a good idea.
Can you provide a reason?
If I understand correctly, your aim is an alcohol burner that simultaneously performs a microscopy-related task, sterilization or drying or else, and perfumes the ambient air in the lab or home lab.

The proper fuel in an alcohol burner is ethanol. It can be pure (colorless) or denatured alcohol (might be violet when a trace of dye has also been added), that contains small amounts of other chemicals (methanol for example), in order to prevent drinking the stuff. Methanol can be used instead of ethanol, but for any home use, it is in general less safe than ethanol.

If your "scented fuel" is ethanol, containing some pleasantly-smelling chemical (call it X), X is likely to burn in the flame. It might burn completely and decompose to odorless CO2. However, X is very probably a larger and more complex molecule. It might not burn completely, but partially decompose into either smoke (soot particles) or perhaps a foul-smelling chemical product.
In either case, IMHO, the scent of the fuel does not offer an advantage.

jimur

#7 Post by jimur » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:21 pm

A much more qualifying response Hobby. Thanks. My aim isn't primarily the aroma but a nice bright contrast between the clear fuel and the glass itself. Some of the scented fuels could provide such. Tired old eyes appreciate a brighter contrast than the violet color I'm familiar with. My concern isn't so much one drinking it, rather in seeing it. A nice bright color would make the burner less prone to being accidentally knocked over on a frequently crowded or cluttered work surface. As a matter of fact my eyes could benefit from a more continuous color of the flame as well.
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

Hobbyst46

#8 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:20 pm

For clarity and contrast one could increase the dyestuff concentration. You need a pigment that you can dissolve in the alcohol. At least some of the stains used in microscopy are soluble in alcohol. My quick Google found a claim that food color can be added to spirits to prevent drinking. Food color has the advantage that it is sold in the form of an aqueous solution, hence it is ready for use. Add a drop or two into the burner fuel, swirl to mix and check the color. Verify that the flame remains pale blue to colorless and no objectionable fumes are liberated.
A good persistent flame is created when the wick is not too short or too long and is not burnt out.

About the visibility of the flame: Again a quick Google, for "miracles" from the past, and yes, someone invented the addition of table salt to the fuel and reported that that turned the color of the flame to yellow. There was an amusing controversy among the responders on that forum, did he really saw what happened, was it the salt or other thing, who cares what it was, etc etc. To me it seems logical: a trace of sodium chloride can color the flame yellow, a trace of potassium chloride can color it purple, etc according to chemistry. But I have never tried it in an alcohol burner. If you follow this adventure, a tiny amount of salt will suffice.

jimur

#9 Post by jimur » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Food color, how simple. I'll give that a try for sure. In a hundred years I would never had considered adding salt to the fuel. Thanks Hobby, I figured someone here could offer an easy cure.
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D