1650 Pelican Case

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
75RR

1650 Pelican Case

#1 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:34 pm

Anyone use a Pelican Case to store and transport their microscope?
Is it worth it? Is there a downside?
Looking into a second hand 1650

These are the specs: https://www.pelicancases.com/Pelican-1650-P206.aspx
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

zzffnn

Re: 1650 Pelican Case

#2 Post by zzffnn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Probably not worth retail price, unless you can find a used one for a really good price.

It does not allow much air circulation, so enough moisture absorbent has to be there together with optics.

I have a small one that came with a $1000 headphone. It is high quality durable plastic and is routinely used to store expensive equipments. But buying it alone seems expensive.

I would personally use a rollable suitcase of appropriate size, along with some padding material. That should cost less and serves more applications.

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:21 pm

Good idea to keep an open mind about storage cases for our stands. I DIY with wooden wine cases often enough..and it's fun to enjoy the finger lakes wine while the project is completed.

I still seem always to have tiny (? 6 oz. ?) cups loose over the optical ports, very clean plastic bags over the nosepieces and their objectives, plastic bags enclosing the substage optics, a large loose rubber-band keeping the plastic bags flush ans closed on the stands.. and lastly, quality vinyl microscope dust covers on the stands, before storage in the DIY wooden cases.

One mistake I've made over the years is to have not listed all the optical bits each stand hosted when I boxed up the kit!!!

That 'Pelican Case' too costly to purchase and then task for a microscope case IMHO....good subject raised here, thanks 75RR. Charlie guevara

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks zzffnn and charlie g
I would personally use a rollable suitcase of appropriate size, along with some padding material. That should cost less and serves more applications.
That is basically what I have now. Unfortunately unless one can take it as a carry-on the protection afforded by padding a normal case is not always baggage handler proof.
Actually witnessed the handlers at Malaga airport unloading bags from a small plane by reaching up over their shoulders and throwing them violently down on to a cart. Mine was among them!
One mistake I've made over the years is to have not listed all the optical bits each stand hosted when I boxed up the kit!!!
Great tip charlie g.

Agree that 'new' price would be somewhat excessive. Have seen them at around 1/3 (used) on ebay.

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:08 pm

I've never [yet] needed to carry a microscope around in arduous conditions, but if I did; a Pelican Case would be my first choice. We used one for a Kodak Carousel projector, and I have also tested them for Shock & Vibration, and climatic extremes.

Not cheap but they are [or certainly were] "the real thing".
... Hopefully the build quality is still as it was.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

PeteM

#6 Post by PeteM » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:58 pm

For car transport, I've had good luck with these cases:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TJ ... UTF8&psc=1

As checked luggage, the Pelican is one of a half dozen brands that are decent. The trick is carefully trimming the foam to fit. With a used case, be sure the foam hasn't started to turn to goo.

If you rarely fly with a microscope you might consider using a sturdy plastic tote and foam in place around a well wrapped scope (much as some shippers do for delicate items). The foam isn't that expensive and could likely last a few trips. The tote might attract less attention if theft during baggage handling is an issue with where you'll be flying??

Really best if you can carry it on. I've seen bags thrown and dropped from heights where even a Pelican case might not prevent damage to the prisms in a head, the alignment of a pricey lens, etc. You could also carry the fragile bits separately in a carry-on and ship the stand as luggage.

lorez

#7 Post by lorez » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:22 am

Anyone use a Pelican Case to store and transport their microscope?
Is it worth it? Is there a downside?
Looking into a second hand 1650
I do use Pelican Cases and find them well worth the $$$. I also work with others who use them in less than favorable conditions with no problems that are caused by the case. The value of the case to you is entirely dependent upon your specific needs and is almost impossible for anyone else to determine.

lorez

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:29 am

The Pelican cases are for sure very robust. Whether you microscope survives inside of it is a different question! For Air transport it might be a good practice to fit the microscope tightly into ridgid foam ito the pelican case, then put the pelican case with a lot of clothing around it in a robust suitcase. So use a two layer concept.

At the destination you don't change into a wrinkled suit - you just wear the padding of you microscope! :lol:

I think the black material is a bad choice for most applications though. The contents will become very hot in the sun, not good for electronics and optics.
A couple of years ago we traveled between lonely islands with two vintage folding kayaks as out family holiday. I use a pelican-case imitation for the stuff I needed for navigation on the sea. To reduce heat build-up I covered the case with white PVC truck tarpaulin.

75RR

#9 Post by 75RR » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Many thanks to all for your comments and suggestions

Plenty to ponder on ...

SutherlandDesmids

#10 Post by SutherlandDesmids » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:18 am

I regret to say I have always used a plastic cooler-box. A student microscope, wrapped in a green velvet dust-cover, fitted very well. Then again, the only moving my microscopes have ever had is to go from one rented house to another in the back of my dear mother's car (in the boot, NEVER on the seat). If at all possible I think that is the best option, however inconvenient -- the thought of a microscope rattling around in a removal-man's pantechnicon doesn't really bear thinking.

I have never seen a Pelican case in my life, but I am sure other people will be able to better advise on more trying conditions. So why, I must ask, have I poked my nose into this debate? I think it's to suggest that a dedicated case is not actually necessary for car transport, at least not in my opinion (three moves with microscopes, my own student Olympus twice and a borrowed Leitz too once). I have always reserved a blanket and quilt to wrap around the case as an extra assurance.

Hopefully I shall have a long tenancy here so I hope not to be able to advise how to pack the incoming Optiphot!
“If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg.”

-- Apsley Cherry-Garrard, 'The Worst Journey in the World' vol. ii p. 578

MichaelG.

#11 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:16 am

SutherlandDesmids wrote:I have never seen a Pelican case in my life, but I am sure other people will be able to better advise on more trying conditions.
If you watch almost any 'natural history' programme on TV, you will probably recognise them:
https://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk

Watch the little 'torture test' video, to see now they perform.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Hobbyst46

#12 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:13 am

MichaelG. wrote:Watch the little 'torture test' video, to see now they perform.
Thanks Michael for the link. Really impressive and fun to watch! For more earthly transportation challenges, I would rate portability before rigidity and underwater sealing. Even for strong persons, a pair of wheels (four wheels if possible) attached to the carrying case can prevent low-back pains, especially for the heavier metal-made microscopes like Optiphot, Zetopan etc.

MicroBob

#13 Post by MicroBob » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 am

The better cooler-boxes are made from foam with a hard covering. They can handle some misuse and would keep the equipment at an even temperature. When exposed to a real shock it would crack, so good but no real expedition quality.
The polypropylene Pelican cases would deform and spring back in case of such a shock so the jouney could go on, perhaps whit a case that is not water proof any longer.

Another robust material is polypropylene foam: My wife uses JBL Control One stereo boxes made from this material and they can take the regular bicycle transport without a problem.

The wooden microscope boxes are a bit problematic: Most wooden holders in them are just glued in an only wait for the slightest bump to break of and let the microscope fly around freely! So if you have a microscope shipped to you I would advise you to tell the seller to fill the box with firmly pressed newspaper balls so it can't move.

Bob

ImperatorRex

#14 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 am

Some time ago I bought from an seller in UK a Zeiss WL that he shipped to me in a wooden box. I also asked the seller to make a stiff filling - he used 12 Lab Coats. Some fotos here:
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... #msg167575

MichaelG.

#15 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 am

Having spent some years involved in testing such things: I must mention that the choice of the external case is only one factor in the design of packaging for transportation.

The amusing video from Pelican skirts around this by 'drop-testing' with lightweight contents that have no separate parts: It is, however, important to appreciate that there must be sufficient foam [or other spinging] to allow the contents to move within the case without crashing into its walls.

... and the same principle applies to the smaller items that might be 'loose' within the main item!

Military packaging often uses a 'box within a box' arrangement, sprung at the corners.

It is important to design packaging appropriate to the risk ... Remember that packages delivered by Mail are thrown about; and some of those delivered by one or two men on a van can be expected to fall off the tailgate.

It's always a trade-off between the cost & size of the packaging, and the consequences of damaging its contents.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'