Permanent Slide Mount Assistant DIY (3D printed)

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
fibreoptix

Permanent Slide Mount Assistant DIY (3D printed)

#1 Post by fibreoptix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:31 pm

This might be a little over engineered, but it's a good excuse to practice with my printer. It presses the cover slide down while the nail polish dries into a nice thin bubble free layer.

If you have access to a 3D printer you can get the files here. --> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3160233

mrsonchus

Re: Permanent Slide Mount Assistant DIY (3D printed)

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Wow! That's quite a machine!

I find that various 'blocks' of paper-staples work really well for applying variable pressures to my coverslips while they dry, here are a couple of images - this works really well, is simple and flexible...

A selection of staples, just break off what you may consider to be a suitable weight,
ws_DSCN2644.jpg
ws_DSCN2644.jpg (79.01 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
As here,
ws_DSCN2645.jpg
ws_DSCN2645.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
John B.
John B

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Thak you for posting your design on thingiverse!

When I apply weight on cover slips I don't use that much of it. What I have in the drawer are M6 nuts. Occasionally I put the whole thing top down with the slide acting as a weight and the diatoms staying down on the cover slip.

What specimens are you covering with that much pressure?

Bob

fibreoptix

#4 Post by fibreoptix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:20 pm

I just find applying constant pressure over 2 hours (nail polish) creates no bubbles. Plus the added weight also requires much much less polish creating a very thin layer, almost rendering it invisible. Also with the right amount there tends to be no ooze on the edges of the cover glass.