Slow Windows load even with SSD

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
ChrisR

Re: Slow Windows load even with SSD

#1 Post by ChrisR » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:01 pm

I'd disconect from the internet, remove all antivirus programs and try again. This can happen when AV programs fight.
This is the wrong forum to ask questions like this!

mrsonchus

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi, a couple of factors that I know of and have successfully altered on my own Windows 10 machine.

Windows power settings has an option to activate quick-startup - which actually works....

The number of items on your desktop and task-bar will also increase the number of jobs Windows must take care of as it starts.

Windows task-manager also has a 'startup' tab where you can (and should) disable any superfluous items set to start with boot-up. 3rd party programs very often add their own guff to this list and a system may end-up crippled by the sheer number of items enabled at boot-time. Keep this list of enabled items to a minimum and you will notice a difference also.....

Finally, when your system seems so be choking and pausing at just about everything it does, even scrolling pages in webs browsers, go to the search box of Windows and find Windows Update.... When the dreaded (but effective in keeping your machine running smoothly in my experience) updates are available Windows will try to download and install them and NEVER give up until you go to the Windows Update settings and tell it to do it, restart or whatever stage it's at. Once the updates are downloaded and installed you'll be back to normal - this hiatus is real and easily mitigated by the above good management.

In a nutshell,
A) Windows quick-start option set to 'ON'
B) Minimise/optimise number of Desktop icons and Task-bar items
C) Prune items (programs, utilities, services etc) that are 'enabled' to load during the boot process
D) Ensure (usually I think 2nd Tuesday of each month) Windows Update has finished
(no particular order is implied or relevant to the above 4 factors)

Good luck, John B.
John B

DrPhoxinus

#3 Post by DrPhoxinus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:49 am

I find the free programs Ccleaner and Glary utilities very useful. There can be gigabytes of detritus on your system

Gerard