Olympus stereomicroscope/macro stand

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
MichaelG.

Olympus stereomicroscope/macro stand

#1 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:36 pm

I recently purchased a Stereomicroscope 'X'
http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ochure.pdf

This came on the small stand, which they later adapted for the photo-macro group
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... stand.html

The base casting is scuffed and corroded, so I decided to remove the short column and restore the casting
... This was a mistake.

On the underside, a large hexagonal plug is fitted [and registered in place by a small grub-screw which I have removed]
... It is currently immovable.

Before resorting to 'Brute-Force and Ignorance' I would really like to know if this screw has a left-hand or right-hand thread !!

Does anyone have actual knowledge of how this apparently simple stand is constructed :?:

I have already written [twice] to Alan Wood, using the form on his web-page; but have received no acknowledgement or response ... so I must assume that either he has no information, or he has not received my enquiries.

Thanks
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

PeteM

Re: Olympus stereomicroscope/macro stand

#2 Post by PeteM » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:30 pm

Michael, I repainted one of those bases with a gray hammered paint and don't recall anything unusual (not that my recollections can always be trusted). I'd think it was a normal right hand thread.

If you apply a bit of penetrating oil and heat to loosen any corrosion, then hold the shaft in a non-marring vise (or sandwiched between wood drilled and split for the shaft) - a socket wrench on the large nut should do it. My recollection (perhaps faulty) is that there might have been a lock screw near or through the larger hex?? Don't have that scope any more, but thought it was a very good one.

Good news is that even if the thread is buggered in removal, you could always drill and tap for a fix.

MichaelG.

Re: Olympus stereomicroscope/macro stand

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:15 pm

PeteM wrote:Michael, I repainted one of those bases with a gray hammered paint and don't recall anything unusual (not that my recollections can always be trusted). I'd think it was a normal right hand thread.

If you apply a bit of penetrating oil and heat to loosen any corrosion, then hold the shaft in a non-marring vise (or sandwiched between wood drilled and split for the shaft) - a socket wrench on the large nut should do it. My recollection (perhaps faulty) is that there might have been a lock screw near or through the larger hex?? Don't have that scope any more, but thought it was a very good one.

Good news is that even if the thread is buggered in removal, you could always drill and tap for a fix.
Thanks a lot, Pete ... I think [hope] you would have remembered if it was left-hand thread; so I will venture forth on the assumption that it is right-hand threaded.

Yes, there is a 'lock screw' through the hex and into the casting ... which [as noted above] I have safely removed.

No problem with general 'good practice' dismantling, I was just concerned that it might be a left-hand thread.
... I promise I will not mar the column with vice-jaw marks !!

Thanks again for your recollections
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'