Thoughts on a new workbench

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Crater Eddie

Thoughts on a new workbench

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:06 pm

I need a sturdy new table or bench for my microscopes. Currently I am using a rather shaky folding table, far from an ideal situation. I have the "ok" from the missus for the project, as she enjoys time at the eyepiece as much as I do.
I see ergonomics studies online, have been looking through some of those for pointers. I don't see any ready-made benches that I would pay the asked for king's ransom, so am considering building one. And by this of course I mean having my brother in law build one, since he has the tools and woodworking know-how.
Has anyone here built their own lab workbench? I would like to hear your thoughts, what you did, what you would do different, etc. Or, if you haven't built one, things you would want if you were to do so.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

75RR

Re: Thoughts on a new workbench

#2 Post by 75RR » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Just to suggest that a height adjustable chair should form part of the arrangement, as should the rock solid stability of the work bench.
I am using a modern glass-top trestle office desk, supported by wooden planks to help with the weight and to bypass the original rubber supports. They increase vibration.

You might want to look at used office furniture. It could provide a quick and economical solution.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:45 pm

75RR wrote:You might want to look at used office furniture. It could provide a quick and economical solution.
Sure, that's where I started. Haven't found anything suitable locally so far.
But thanks for the suggestions.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

lorez

#4 Post by lorez » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:32 pm

The nice thing about building your bench is that you can have anything you want. I've built a couple over the years using 2 X 4 framing for the legs and braces and 3/4" plywood finished with formica for the top. They are still in use every day nearly forty years later.

lorez

gekko

#5 Post by gekko » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:21 pm

All of the above is good advice. Rigidity and height are obviously paramount. All I can think of to add would be how to design it so that one of those free-standing sets of plastic drawers might fit under or next to it for storage of odds and ends (spares, objectives, condensers, etc.) if that is appropriate for your situation.

JimT

#6 Post by JimT » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:16 pm

You might also want to look into a "Flat pack" desk kit (that's what I did) and by all means get an adjustable height chair.

rnabholz

#7 Post by rnabholz » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:13 am

I second the vote for an adjustable stool. I find that depending on the scope, the eyepiece heights can vary quite a bit.

I pulled into service my back up astronomy observing stool. It is a simple to make design that I came up with a few years ago and it is featured on my web site here: http://homebuiltastronomy.com/stool/

Very solid and sturdy, inexpensive and has provided years of service.
Attachments
stooldown.jpg
stooldown.jpg (58.15 KiB) Viewed 14128 times
stoolup.jpg
stoolup.jpg (64.52 KiB) Viewed 14128 times

Mintaka

#8 Post by Mintaka » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:45 am

If instability is a niggle, I'd go with something like this:

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/make-a ... -workbench

[derail] rnabholz, I dig your telescopic observation stool. It has a nice, small footprint. Here's the one I made some years ago for use with the refractor in the picture, but it turned out to be awkward to adjust in the dark ... so I usually end up neglecting the zenith a bit. :geek: [/derail]
Attachments
SAM_3200.JPG
SAM_3200.JPG (258.5 KiB) Viewed 14120 times

Crater Eddie

#9 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks everyone for the good suggestions.
I have been thinking about something along these lines. This is my work station at work, please pardon the clutter.
The main work surface is 3 feet X 6 feet, which I really like. It is about 3 feet high as well, hence the stool. This is comfy enough for work, since I usually don't sit there for more than 30 minutes at a time, but for microscope use I might want to make it lower so I can sit in a more comfortable office type chair.
I like the idea of the shelves, I have a lot of stuff that I could store there, reducing clutter in the lab significantly.
This unit was around $800+ I think, but surely we could come up with something similar in the woodworking shop for a reasonable cost.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

Crater Eddie

#10 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Surplus used? Not sure how much it is nor what shipping would be. Still, no harm in asking.

http://www.americansurplus.com/used_equ ... tory_bench
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

lorez

#12 Post by lorez » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:47 pm

CE,

Your bench looks like mine except made of steel tubing rather than 2X4s. I have a formica work surface that is nice for the occasional spill. One thing I would change is the shelves on the back of the bench. Mine are hard to reach with a large scope on the bench. My g2 bench will be U-shaped and the shelves will be on either leg of the U with nothing behind or above the scope... My U-shape will have to be a wide U as I may want a little more space.

lorez

Crater Eddie

#13 Post by Crater Eddie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Interesting link there 75RR, that is a lot like what I have in my office. Nearly $500 though plus shipping, so I'll have to pass.

Lorez, that is very interesting. So from your experience, you would rather have a clear work area with the shelves on either side. I'll consider that... I have access to some old shelving units.
<mental gears turning>
How high is your bench top?
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

lorez

#14 Post by lorez » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:06 pm

CE, et al.

CE, in looking again at your bench I will add that I have only one shelf (the lower one) and I have a light fixture with six 4' fluorescent tubes. Other than that it's about the same thing. My bench is desk height, 30", and I use an adjustable pneumatic chair with nice cushions on the seat and back. For shelves I purchased a couple of the metal kits that have six shelves and put all the shelves on to one set of legs. That gives me plenty of surface area to store things in flat boxes so I am not so prone to pile things on to one another (although there are places where I do pile things). As has been mentioned, anything is possible if you build your own and all of the photos that have been shared offer many excellent ideas. I love a good project.

lorez

gekko

#15 Post by gekko » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:17 pm

lorez wrote: One thing I would change is the shelves on the back of the bench. Mine are hard to reach with a large scope on the bench.
I fully agree with lorez. I have my microscopes in front of a bookshelf and even there I find it hard to get at and inconvenient.

Peter

#16 Post by Peter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi crater Eddie,
I would not recommend having shelves above and behind the microscope, in my opinion shelves are dust catchers and removing objects from them could disperse dust in the vicinity of the instrument.
My recommendation is to have your bench top supported on two sets of drawers, these should be purpose made in sizes that will contain all the paraphernalia applicable to your microscope, so as to keep as much clutter as possible off the workbench. Another thing which can be helpful is to have slides which are fitted immediately below the worktop and can be pulled out alongside where you are sitting to hold such things as books or papers temporarily whilst you are making identifications et cetera.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

gekko

#17 Post by gekko » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:31 pm

Now that Peter mentioned it, I would like to fully agree with his recommendation. I have exactly that problem, dust! And it is not convenient to dust areas where there are a lot of little objects. For microscope accessories, I use the plastic sets of drawers because they are easy to move, light, smooth (do not scratch optics if they should come into contact), and come in different sizes and drawer heights. And, not least, relatively inexpensive.

Crater Eddie

#18 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:29 am

These are all great points. I had not thought of the accessibility issue, or the dust either.
That's what makes this forum so great, lots of great folks willing to share ideas and advice.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)