Microbe aquarium

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Sauerkraut

Microbe aquarium

#1 Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:26 pm

My pond is a little out of control, microbe-wise, so I thought it would be fun to start an indoor aquarium. This one is more of an aqua-terrarium that makes pleasing fountain noises. Is anyone else growing an indoor microbe farm? Any tips, thoughts etc.?

This one is not established yet - just arrived today and is not even in its proper place. There is a live plant at the top from the garden - figured it will grow since they won't die when attacked with garden tools. All the rest are fake plants for the time being. This tank is too small for fish (inhumane) but due to an unfortunate judgement call, I have some baby shrimp growing in a temporary tank that might tolerate this arrangement.

There's duckweed in the regular pond but perhaps too much algae would transfer to the aquarium. I'm interested in adding moss but maybe from seed/spore to avoid transferring all the bugs and etc. that thrive in collected moss.

As far as the regular pond goes, everything in there came on its own. Nothing was intentionally added to increase the plants or microbes. That's quite the testament of the adaptability and portability of microbes. Water is life.

One tip on a small pond like this is it's highly recommended to use a UV filter unless you like wasting a lot of time and resources doing complete water changes due to algae overgrowth. And fish keep the mosquitoes at bay.
Attachments
Pond.jpg
Pond.jpg (462.04 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Microbe_terrarium.jpg
Microbe_terrarium.jpg (302.1 KiB) Viewed 1006 times

MicroBob

Re: Microbe aquarium

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Hi Heather,
you seem to have a very different situation there with your algae over growth compare to Germany. What water temperatures o you have in your outdoor pond?
I have two plancton aquariums and no real problems with them. In summer I had to install an air pump and let it run for a couple of hours each day as the water started to become green. Occasionally I have to cut back the water plants with long scissor and pinceps (aqua scaping set from ebay).

What I can recommend is a stereo microscope on an articulating arm. This allows observation through the side wall or on the surface. I have posted links to a couple of videos I made this way.

Bob

Sauerkraut

#3 Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Bob,

The pond is currently at 67 F (apx 20 C). Maybe the algae is due to the pond being man made and rather small at perhaps 200 - 250 gallons. But the non-motile algae thrive so wildly that they live in communal clumps on the sides of the pond, making it hard to tell one species from another. We've had an unseasonably cool summer here and still there is algae so hot or cool does not seem to matter. The free floaters need the UV treatment or it goes green and bad for the fish.

Do you keep fish in the plankton aquariums? This will be my first aquarium where growing - rather than deterring - microbes is the goal. It just seems like there still needs to be levels of growth control so that the aquarium does not get out of hand. And how do you introduce specific plankton, or did you just let them arrive on their own?

With too many other wish list items queued up, I'd better not get another stereoscope, but that articulating one sounds like a cool idea.

Crater Eddie

#4 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:59 am

I like that indoor setup. How big is it and where did you get it?
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU with Olympus E-P1 MFT camera mounted
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope

Sauerkraut

#5 Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:23 am

Amazon has them:

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Terrar ... way&sr=8-2

I went with the medium. There are some negative reviews but so far it seems like a decent set up. The main mistake people are making is trying to stock them with fish.

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks for the link. Keep us updated on progress.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU with Olympus E-P1 MFT camera mounted
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope