Cleaning frames

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Dale

Cleaning frames

#1 Post by Dale » Mon May 04, 2015 7:09 pm

What would be the best way to restore the finish on older enameled scopes? Corrosion on steel parts.
Frames and stages, etc. These are American Optical. I am not even thinking about repainting, just
intensive non-destructive polishing.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

JimT

Re: Cleaning frames

#2 Post by JimT » Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 pm

I wouldn't try anything on a microscope to remove rust. I hope you didn't buy it! If not, walk away.

If the outside is in such poor condition who knows what the insides are like :(

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Tue May 05, 2015 5:26 pm

AO's usually have problems with rusting on the securing screws and exposed bare steel metal surfaces. I use a toothbrush dipped in light lube oil. For heavily rusted parts I use a small brass wire brush (don't use on chromed or plastic surfaces), dipping in a light lube oil and bushing lightly and then rubbed with a lightly oiled cloth. For painted surfaces, I use dishwashing liquid in water and cloth for dirt and grim, and using a toothbrush in cracks, corners and hard to reach areas. For troublesome assay inked numbers and sticker residue, I use a cloth with acetone. Don't use the acetone on other ink painted areas or plastic surfaces. Then rub down the whole stand with a lightly oiled cloth and then a clean cloth. Make sure all optics are off the scope when you do this.

Dale

#4 Post by Dale » Tue May 05, 2015 6:54 pm

I was warned to go lightly. Charles, I printed your reply, thanks. Have much research to do now.
Dale
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.