Desk Heigth

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Dale

Desk Heigth

#1 Post by Dale » Tue May 19, 2015 11:36 pm

My scope is tall, 17", so I'm looking for a desk of the proper height. The ergonomic
recommendations vary wildly, but seeing many of your lab pictures I know you have
tall scopes and would have good opinions.
Dale.
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

lorez

Re: Desk Heigth

#2 Post by lorez » Tue May 19, 2015 11:59 pm

There was a brief discussion not long ago about tables and desks. The height of the work surface is dependent upon the dimensions of the user. If you are tall a raised surface can be added to a standard desk or table and if you are short you can saw the legs off your desk. I suggest a raised surface, if necessary, be large enough in surface area to provide adequate forearm support. The ergonomic literature I have seen suggests that the user's back and neck be as straight possible without exaggeration. As I mentioned in the earlier discussion a custom built table is the best solution and can be very economical if you have a little bit of carpentry skill, or a friendly neighbor. If you would like, I will build you a table and mail it to you.

lorez

Dale

#3 Post by Dale » Wed May 20, 2015 12:56 am

I will look for that thread. This problem was compounded by the extra1.5" the Bertrand lens added. My huge computer desk cannot
be cut down, and is way too high. Just remembered I have a big heavy kitchen table left over from a remodel that has no legs.
Mail it?, do you get frequent flyer miles from shipping?
Dale

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Wed May 20, 2015 1:49 am

I think an easier option would be a chair or stool which is height adjustable or add a cushion. Or, just take the Bertrand lense off after you have centered your phase objectives.

Dale

#5 Post by Dale » Wed May 20, 2015 4:34 am

The Bertrand lens is the problem, without it I have a nearly perfect line of sight. How often
do I have to center them? I only today got the annular disc to rotate, so I'm making
some slow progress here!
Dale

Charles

#6 Post by Charles » Wed May 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi Dale,

I prealigned them for you on my AO10, but may need a touch of adjustment for your scope. It is very easy to align. The built in wrenches are square drives, so you need to make sure each wrench connects properly by pushing in the wrenches and gently turn until they engage properly. Once you have all of them aligned you can remove the Bertrand lens and will only need to readjust if you change out an objective.

gekko

#7 Post by gekko » Wed May 20, 2015 12:23 pm

I can see the problem, but why not consider a higher chair? At least in my view the Bertrand lens would be especially handy for adjusting the condenser aperture. Just my 2 cents' worth.

Charles

#8 Post by Charles » Wed May 20, 2015 1:25 pm

Dale wrote:...I only today got the annular disc to rotate, so I'm making
some slow progress here!
Dale
Also, in order for the phase condenser turret rotate, you will need to make sure the adjusting wrenches are pulled fully 'out' to disengage them from the annuli.

Dale

#9 Post by Dale » Wed May 20, 2015 6:06 pm

Charles wrote:
Dale wrote:...I only today got the annular disc to rotate, so I'm making
some slow progress here!
Dale
Also, in order for the phase condenser turret rotate, you will need to make sure the adjusting wrenches are pulled fully 'out' to disengage them from the annuli.
I kept backing them out til that happened. I am being very gentle, but I am probably needing to re-center. I have printed at least 2 dozen
articles on phase contrast, but have not had time to do anything but skim them. Some are brief, and others are really intense. The impression I got was that whenever you 'changed objectives' you had to re-center meant rotating the turret. If you only have to do it when you physically remove the objective, well, that is a relief. I was misunderstanding the function of the wrenches, I thought they affected the entire
annular turret as a whole. Instead, the wrenches center each annuli disc, individually, one at a time. Right?

Back On Topic.
Desk number one cannot be adjusted in any dimension, its chair sucks, it is in the frequently used guest room and would have to
be totally cleared every few months.
Desk number two has a six month video editing job on it. When that is done I can customize it with my SkillSaw.
Desk number three is in the rec room with four litter boxes. I have to hold my breath to just pass through the room.
I guess the desk issue will evolve after the scope is assembled, then I will know what is ergonomically effective for my
dimensions.
Dale

Dale

Charles

#10 Post by Charles » Wed May 20, 2015 9:06 pm

Yes, you are right. The wrenches only adjust each annuli to the phase ring. You push the wrenches 'in' and turn its knobs to set the alignment. You pull the wrenches out to disengage and then turn the phase contrast wheel on the front to change from one phase annuli to the next. The condenser wheel can only be turned when the wrenches are disengaged. Once you have each annuli centered to each objective, you can take the Bertrand lens off.

Again, I see getting an adjustable chair is probably a lot better than sawing legs off tables. Or just get a higher seat cushion, or as we use to do in the old days for kids was put a telephone book on the seat... :lol:

Dale

#11 Post by Dale » Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 pm

I took the arms off and the chair is perfect for comfortable non-Berty viewing. Except that this stupid chair has
castors that lock when you are not sitting on it. It belongs to our guest so I'll shove it away and get my own armless
self-propelled 18 position chair. The chair at the computer desk is shot too, so I am due for a new set of wheels.
Phone book-phone book, when was the last time I saw one of those?
Dale

The QCC

#12 Post by The QCC » Sun May 31, 2015 11:23 am

When using my very tall Labomed microscope I sit on a drafting chair. The chair can rise substantially higher than a standard office chair.
Drafting chair
Drafting chair
s0381926_sc7.jpg (14.48 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
[/url]

Dale

#13 Post by Dale » Sun May 31, 2015 6:52 pm

Didn't know that, and it helps a lot. I'm thinking of modifying a huge computer desk by removing the keyboard tray, there would then be lots of
room. Thanks.
Dale.