Meopta G11P stereomicroscope / dissection scope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Farmazon

Meopta G11P stereomicroscope / dissection scope

#1 Post by Farmazon » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:11 pm

Gonna keep this one short.

Gee, what can this (now) clean collection of parts be?
IMG_20190718_115429.jpg
IMG_20190718_115429.jpg (221.24 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
IMG_20190718_123456.jpg
IMG_20190718_123456.jpg (189.55 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
Yes, you guessed it, it's in the title.

It was in a shoddier state than it is now. Now, it's so-so. Not great, not terrible. There was a lot of grime, dust and corrosion. It was apparently forgotten in a warehouse somewhere.
After some cleaning, lubing and prism aligning, it is (almost) fully functional. A broken locking bolt had to be extracted.

The binocular prisms were decollimated - or misaligned, i am not sure about the term. They were sorted after much cursing and praying to various deities.

It came with all possible objectives - 1.8x, 3x, 5x, 10x, and only the 10x low-eyepoint oculars. The objectives have triple screws for individual adjustments, and two of them are badly misaligned. I am not sure how i should tackle adjusting those.

There is no fine focus, not that it's needed anyway.

It is a fun tool to use. The working distance is huge, between 4 and 10 cm depending on the objective. The sensation of depth is something i've never experienced on a microscope. The workmanship is rugged, but excellent. There is a lot of attention to detail in the engineering involved, small things like a locking pin on the inside lip preventing the rotation of the bolts holding the optics. The precision parts are machined out of bronze, the foot and stage are cast iron. The rack and sliding parts are steel.

I am missing the round glass plate, and i am not sure about the function of the parallel bars on the stage.

If any of you guys have any advice regarding the procedure for the individual objective adjustment, don't hesitate to chime in.
Attachments
IMG_20190718_143931.jpg
IMG_20190718_143931.jpg (198.65 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
IMG_20190718_143939.jpg
IMG_20190718_143939.jpg (188.93 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
IMG_20190718_144000.jpg
IMG_20190718_144000.jpg (218.21 KiB) Viewed 6354 times

MichaelG.

Re: Meopta G11P stereomicroscope / dissection scope

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 pm

Looking good

The bars on the stage are for wrist-rests to hook onto

MichaelG.

Edit: Some useful reference photos here:
https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/273 ... microscope
Too many 'projects'

MicroBob

#3 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:04 am

Hi Farmazon,
congratulations to the repair and the nice result!
This should be quite a rare instrument and it looks nicely made. I used to use a Meopta Flexaret 6x6 twin lens reflex aside a 35mm camera and liked it a lot.
With the stereo microscopes of this design I always imagine how it has to feel to be the subject being observed with the piercing inclined objective tubes pointed on me. :lol:
I have a Leitz Großfeldstereomikroskop that is similar, a bit more modern perhaps. When you google for this term you will find pictures of the hand rests. These stereo microscopes with stage have their uses. For some stuff I clearly prefer my Leitz over the slighlty newer Olympus without stage.
Your washing table is nice - have you built it yourself?

Bob

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:02 am

MicroBob wrote:With the stereo microscopes of this design I always imagine how it has to feel to be the subject being observed with the piercing inclined objective tubes pointed on me. :lol:
:o
MicroBob wrote:These stereo microscopes with stage have their uses.
I saw a beautiful example of this 'scope recently ... but failed to take any photos :oops:
One very useful feature of that stage is that it can also be swung aside if you wish.
... The owner said it was a real pleasure to use.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Farmazon

#5 Post by Farmazon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:57 am

MicroBob wrote:how it has to feel to be the subject being observed with the piercing inclined objective tubes pointed on me.

@MicroBob
- well, i guess finding yourself on the stage would be a disturbing prospect even if you didn't have the knowledge that you are on a dissecting scope...

That german word is something indeed! So is your scope. It seems to have a decade or so in front of the Meopta. Very interesting design of the non-protruding objectives.

And the cleaning table - oh dear, no, not myself. I was fortunate enough to use it due to the kindness of the nice people at the technical department of my workplace. I would really want something like that at home - but only if it comes with the attached workshop :D

@MichaelG. - I saw the wrist-rests on other pictures on the web, but it never occured to me they were hanging on those bars. Thanks! Gotta build some wrist-rests, then. They are presently missing.

And regarding the fact that the stage can be swung aside - it can indeed, and so can the upper part containing the arm and optics. They can be independently rotated...i suppose that is useful to examine surface features of huge items?

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:09 pm

Farmazon wrote:Very interesting design of the non-protruding objectives.
In fact the objectives are designed similar to you Meopta ones, but there is a sheet metal protection cover around them. The stronger objectives probably get knocked out of alignment easily.

Having access to such a cleaning table is perhaps even better than having one at home - no stinking fluids at home this way.