Tightening the focus knob

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
DonSchaeffer

Tightening the focus knob

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:57 pm

How do you work that little wrench they give you to tighten the focus knob?

DonSchaeffer

Re: Tightening the focus knob

#2 Post by DonSchaeffer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:56 am

I found out that if you hold onto the focus knob for about 5 seconds the stage stops sinking.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:44 am

There should be a notch or hole on the shaft inside one of the focus knobs just before the shaft enters the side of the scope. The wrench fits into that notch or hole..Usually but not always you put the wrench in so you can push the wrench away from you. Hold the focus knob so it can not move when you push on the wrench. It should tighten the focus and if it loosens instead then you went the wrong way.
With some scopes you can tighten the tension by holding the focus knob on the left side so it can not move and then turning the focus knob on the right. The same rule applies. If you go the wrong way it will become more loose but you will know it.
Good luck. Greg

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:18 am

I lost that little spanner. Can I buy another one? AmScope told me they do not sell them.

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:58 pm

When you lose the spanner and ask Amscope for a new one you find out that Amscope is not a full service outfit. That's one reason why their scopes don't cost so much.
But a jewelers screw driver kit or and Allen wrench set or even use a nail that will fit in the hole in the shaft. Something like that is bound to work. Spanner wrenches are pretty and look unique but you can get around that
Good luck. Greg

DonSchaeffer

#6 Post by DonSchaeffer » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:36 pm

That is helpful. Thanks.