A Lovely 1964 AO Series 10 Microstar with case and all other accessories; Stock

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Bemoc

#1 Post by Bemoc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:57 am

Pretty work horse, a Microstar 10, with case and original optics, tools, key, oil, manual (with addendum insert), dust cover…etc. One must look closely to see any signs of use. It has been used so carefully that the power cord is still crimped in the factory pattern. It does not have a single thing wrong with it. The case has a few dings on it, and the foam inside the case, the placeholder foam, is deteriorating so needs replacing.

It’s been an absolute joy to own and use; to get even sappier I feel like it has been an honor! I’m selling it too, BTW. Specs below. Pics here https://imgur.com/a/Z3oNu7e

Serial number is 549118.

Objectives currently installed are the stock set; upgraded set is available
AO Spencer 4/ .12 Infinity achro 1075
AO Spencer 10/ .25 Infinity achro 1076
AO Spencer 45/ .66 Infinity achro 1078
AO Spencer 100/1.25 Oil Imm. 1079
(That last column lists the AO catalog numbers)

• Eyepieces are 10x WF.
• Objectives currently installed are the stock set; upgraded set is available (see below)
• ALL optics are free of any flaws or dirt or glue on any of those problems we all encounter.
• Stage is smooth. I notice a slight bump at the top of the range, coarse focus. It’s slight but I don’t have the urge to disassemble this machine for that. I notice it about once in 20 uses.
• Fine focus – no issues.
• Condenser is an Abbe, 1.25, catalog number 1088 – recommended for advanced lab use, oil immersion
• This has the on-base illuminator, catalog number 1037 I am pretty sure. Sadly, a one-trick pony, and I wonder about the design… explained in the pix. Meaning it only goes on or off, and it seems to me that they should have run the cord out the back of the thing; another day…
• Mechanical stage

Some great things have been discovered with this very model.

I also have the Plan Achro set, listed here:
AO 40/ .066 Plan achro 1023
AO 10/ .25 Plan achro 1021
AO 4/.12 Plan achro 1017
AO 100/ 1.25 Plan achro 1129
I haven’t looked at these yet but as I recall they had lint or maybe tissue fluff stuck to them when I got them, will need to check them out. Additionally, I can not answer any questions designed to quantify the quality difference. I never tried them.

apochronaut

Re: A Lovely 1964 AO Series 10 Microstar with case and all other accessories; Stock

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:29 pm

The 1037 illuminator was designed as a scholastic illuminator. On/off, 110 v. plug into the outlet on the bench, no trafo. The design of the microscope is such that various illuminators were interchangeable or a mirror or non at all, if the owner wanted the microscope to sit on an ortho-illuminator.
The illuminator is easily upgraded to one with Koehler capability. Two large screws on the bottom to replace. There is 18 watt tungsten with a remote trafo. or 20 watt halogen with built in tráfo.

Bemoc

Re: A Lovely 1964 AO Series 10 Microstar with case and all other accessories; Stock

#3 Post by Bemoc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:33 pm

Thank you! On my ride home this morn I was reading the 1974 Series 10 product catalog and price list, and saw that there were ones with built in transformers. Now, since reading your post, I can just say 'trafo', lol. It did take me a minute to figure that word out. Oh but even though I hope to re-home this microscope, where would I find said aftermarket illuminators, or polarizers, or darkfield condensers :P ? Surely there is an AO graveyard somewhere; perhaps near the B & L one? :lol:

hans

#4 Post by hans » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:38 pm

Bemoc wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:33 pm
Now, since reading your post, I can just say 'trafo', lol. It did take me a minute to figure that word out.
Same, a few weeks ago, while reading some old posts about series 10 illumination. Canadian thing?

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:01 pm

British thing? There are quite a few DF condensers showing up on ebay for 10/20 microscopes. Some on right now. Search, AO microscope condenser.
There is also, as of a day ago, a complete halogen illuminator, I think. Might be a tungsten but my memory has the two knobs on the front..... maybe the seller alcamera has it.

Bemoc

#6 Post by Bemoc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:29 pm

tHANKS Apo, and HANS, it is on! Race to ebay