Spencer NO 1-2 from 1933

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Charles

Spencer NO 1-2 from 1933

#1 Post by Charles » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:09 pm

This is (I believe) a Spencer NO. 1/2 made in 1933. Depending if the stage, round or square, depended on what model it is. This is a NO. 2 since it has the square stage and the NO.1 had the round stage. It comes with a quick change binocular or monocular tube and four objective turret, holding 40mm (2.8X), 16mm (10X), 3mm (60X), and 1.8mm (95X) objectives. Comes with a nice mechanical stage and 1.25 NA condenser. Cleaned and lubed from a fresh purchase. It has some wear on the limb, so it looks like it had been well used but overall in excellent condition. The last picture is from the Spencer 1929 catalog.
Spencer NO.2 Right Side
Spencer NO.2 Right Side
1933 Spencer NO.2 Right.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 8799 times
Spencer NO.2 Left Side
Spencer NO.2 Left Side
1933 Spencer NO.2 Left.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 8799 times
Spencer NO.2 Front
Spencer NO.2 Front
1933 Spencer NO.2.jpg (42.44 KiB) Viewed 8799 times
Spencer NO.2 Head Off
Spencer NO.2 Head Off
1933 Spencer NO.2 Head.jpg (52.76 KiB) Viewed 8799 times
From 1929 Catalog
From 1929 Catalog
Spencer 1-2.JPG (80.54 KiB) Viewed 8799 times

billbillt

Re: Spencer NO 1-2 from 1933

#2 Post by billbillt » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:04 pm

Hi Charles,
That is a fine looking old Spencer.. What is the little lever for on the side of the binocular housing?..

Charles

#3 Post by Charles » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:25 pm

According to the documentation they control shutters on either tube which when depressed block off that side of the tube to facilitate focusing for setting the diopter. So instead of closing one eye, you can keep both open and depress the shutter to block that side of the tube. It is spring loaded and needs to be kept depressed when you need it blocked off and when you let go, the shutter opens back up.

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:10 am

I personally think that is a good idea....

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:04 am

Very nice scope.
Adding the catalogue page is a good idea. Would have been neat to photograph it at the exact same angle.

Those ocular shutters are a nice touch. I believe closing one eye strains the open one, which is why oculists cover one eye with a card when testing each eye.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:15 pm

That one was the smallest stand they made prior to w.w. 2, that they considered a research microscope. I had a discussion with the curator of the Harvard Scientific Instruments collection about a year ago, related to this model microscope. They have one they catalogue as a #4, which due to the more complicated substage, heavier substage mounting, focusing mirror and slightly heavier body is actually a #2. In this case the reverse is true. This is a model 4.
Spencer microscopes, prior to the 2nd W.W. all have a great deal in common and there were many different models, less as time marched on but in the 1917 catalogue there were more than 30. In order to determine a model, I have had to resort to what sometimes seem ridiculous measurements. This one is pretty straight forward , though.
Spencer hardly ever changed anything on a stand, unless it was a stated option, without changing the model.They did however, shift from having many lacquered brass fittings , to having fewer chromed with some previously brass parts black enameled, sometime after 1930. This can complicate things, as was evidenced in my communication with the curator for instance. She saw, what she called " a vertical metal strip( brass focus block)" in a scan I sent her of a # 2 as proof that her instrument was not a #2, because her instrument did not have that feature. She failed to understand that by the time her microscope had been made( 1932, I believe) they had changed to enameling that part and was unable to understand the issues related to the condenser parts, etc. Last time I looked, they still mis-identify it.
In the case here, if you strip off the optional components; the head with nosepiece , objectives and eyepieces; the stage and the substage, you are left with the basic stand.
On the # 1/2 stand block carrying the coarse focus, there are concave sides. The upper part of the arm carrying the fine focus control is sharply tapered in a lengthened ellipse, coming to almost a point . The fine focus control itself has a 1 inch knob, extended on collars. They sit 1 inch out from the body and the graduations are in 1 micron increments.
The arm at it's mid point is 25.5mm deep by 23 and a bit, wide.
The stage bracket is a Y shaped flange, half lapped into an extension of the arm.
The substage itself is actuated by a rack and pinion, the shaft of which has a relief cut into the pillar. The dovetail track carrying the rack gear is 7/8" wide. The mirror focuses by sliding on a flat, track bar.
The condenser is a 1.3 N.A. achromat, with centering controls.
The entire instrument is made of brass, which can easily be seen on the soles of the horseshoe base, which is 6" x 4 3/16". It weighs between 12 1/2 and 13 lbs., loaded, depending on what accessories are added.

The microscope pictured here , if you compare it to the 1929 catalogue, pg. 4 http://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Pers ... oscope.htm description, more closely resembles the #4. In the 1930 catalogue, it is even more apparent , because they had switched the finish to chrome and enamel,with some previously brass parts, such as the focus block being enameled. The more complex stage is irrelevant because that was an option. It has the 3/4" fine focus knob with almost for sure 2 micron increments,which is based on Spencer's travelling screw mechanism, rather than a worm and nut; a simpler lighter stage bracket, and the simpler lighter , non-centering abbe condenser and non-focusing mirror. The base is lighter and probably of cast iron too.

Charles

#7 Post by Charles » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi Phil,

I could accept that but there still are some noticeable differences from the 4. Everything below the stage looks like the 4 but above still looks more like the 1-2. The head mount on the 4 is larger...looks twice as high as on mine which is the same height as on the 1-2. The binocular head on the 4 is smaller, where as on mine it is larger as in the 1-2. I don't know if the 4 came with the four objective turret as on mine. Things could have been mismatched...I don't know if the whole objective turret piece and head would fit on each others bases but everything on mine seems to match and fits properly. So I'm having doubts as to which one it is.

Do you have the Spencer 1930 catalog?
Thanks again.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:30 pm

Charles. Microscopes are sold as stands. Everything except the stand are accessories, that are designed to fit the stand and usually many stands. This helps the economy of scale in production. If you go into the 1929 catalogue, which you already have access too, look and see how many binocular heads they offer. They offer 3. One specifically made for the #6 because it was marketed as a combination monocular binocular with a quick interchange possible. All of the other stands that could receive a binocular, could receive both of the other two binocular tubes as well as a monocular. All optical tubes with the exception of those made for the #6 have the same fittings and will go on all stands made to receive them. There was no larger or smaller binocular heads. The 4 objective nosepiece, another option irrelevant of the stand model, was not available as of 1930. It showed up as an additional option later and was clearly available in 1933.
Did you measure the arm and the base and weigh the microscope? Did you check the fine focus to see if it is graduated in 2 micron divisions or 1 micron divisions and measure the diameter of the knob? Does the fine focus knob, move side to side as you turn it, in the fashion the #4 traveling screw type of fine focus does , or does it stay still as is the case with the worm and nut type fitted on the #1/2? Did you check to see if the base is cast iron or brass? Did you measure the base?
Not only the substage is a standard abbe , with a fixed mirror, the pillar and base are smaller with the condenser focus shaft out in the open instead of being recessed into the pillar , as in the 1/2.
Spencer did make microscopes with slight differences compared to the base models, giving them suffixes, such as 4M. It's possible that the model is some specialized 4, catalogued in 1933 , fitted with the concentric control square stage, made for a specific market but it isn't a 2. The 1/2 stand was the second ranked research stand behind the 7/14,until they brought out the low fine focus #3, #5 and the #8 and was supplied with the achromat, centering substage as well as a 1 micron fine focus. Those were paramount and necessary for the intended research market. .

apochronaut

#9 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:57 pm

Do you have the Spencer 1930 catalog?
Thanks again.[/quote]
Yes; It is almost identical to the 1929 catalogue. A few models are pictured with enamel parts ,instead of brass and they have made an effort to show parts that are chromed with a different kind of shine than those that are brass. A few models have been discontinued, notably the monocular #5, which in the 1917 catalogue was the heavy research stand but when the # 7 and 14 binocular research stands arrived on the scene by 1924 , the #5 became more and more obsolete. It was monocular and doesn't seem to have been configured to accept a binocular tube because when it came out, Spencer did not offer a binocular microscope.
A new # 5 , based on a completely different design ethic arrived possibly as early as 1932.

Charles

#10 Post by Charles » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks Phil. I'm not concerned enough to measure things and such. I'll take your word for it. When I was trying to determine which model it was form the 1929 catalog, it did come down to the 2 and the 4 but from the older brass and black models it shows in the 29 catalog, it seemed to look more like the 2...at least from the stage up.

But, I'm glad to get a good ID on this Spencer. I may need to post some more to see which models they actually are. 8-)

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Yep; ultimately it doesn't really matter. I find it interesting to see the relative difference between models though, and the relationship between their physical characteristics and use is interesting. Photography in those days , was very difficult and there was potentially a lot of vibration and long exposures. They went to great lengths to give stands stability; that's why the focus on brass, as a construction material. Telling a prospective customer that one microscope due to it's larger dimensions and brass construction would be more stable for photography, and that an N.A. 1.4 achromatic condenser, and apochromatic objectives would give sharper images, with better contrast and with shorter exposures definitely pitched an instrument across the plate, for the research community.
A quick assessment for you, would be to turn it over and look at the "toes" and "heel"; the contact points on the base. If they are yellow, brass, if they are gunmetal grey, cast iron. The micron graduation is clearly marked on the right fine focus knob. The 2 micron system( the same that your research #3 uses) states 2micron, beside the scale, whereas the 1 micron system has 10 marks between 0 and 10. The 1 micron system ,always had a 1 inch knob and I have never seen a 2 micron knob that wasn't 3/4".

Charles

#12 Post by Charles » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:05 am

Hi Phil,

The base is not brass and the fine focus knob is about 3/4" in diameter and it says 1 div = 2.5 mic.

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:50 pm

I have seen both 2 and 2.5 micron verniers. Presumably the number of graduations around the circle is different or the screw thread is slightly different; probably the latter. This type of fine focus is threaded into the right side of the arm. As it is turned the shaft and knobs move slightly side to side. A triangular shaped follower, with one corner fitted into the shaft, cantilevers on another corner which rotates on a bearing shoulder screw. The third corner holds a point bearing , upon which the focus block rests. The body tube lowers due to spring tension + gravity or raises , as the focuser is turned clock or counterclockwise.

Cyclops

#14 Post by Cyclops » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:23 pm

Beautiful looking old machine! I love old scopes.

Charles

#15 Post by Charles » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Thank you Larry, I just love the craftsmanship and the lines of the old scopes. They were built to last.

henryr

#16 Post by henryr » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Thanks for all the info and informative sites. I'm enjoying the research and reading.

One thought comes to mind and, I think, it is expressed in other posts.

Quality microscopes, including my Spencer 15???, are just good solid frames with good fine adjustment, good graduated stages and accurate tube lengths and turrets. It seems the choice of light source, eyepieces and objectives are key to making it a good or bad tool.

Thanks,
henryr

75RR

#17 Post by 75RR » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:37 pm

It seems the choice of light source, eyepieces and objectives are key to making it a good or bad tool.
Illumination and the objectives are probably the two most important components, I would choose skill as the third.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

gekko

#18 Post by gekko » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:18 pm

I agree with 75RR, except that I would put the skill as the first (assuming that the other components are of reasonable quality).