Deleted

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
PeteM

Re: The wisest way to buy a microscope

#1 Post by PeteM » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:46 pm

I've had and liked Accu-Scope's better models as well. However, just for the record, is almost surely made in China with an Accu-Scope brand stenciled on.

Scarodactyl

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:17 pm

Only lower end big four offerings are made in China, but it is a good point.
One other advantage of accu-scope in particular is that they have a dealer network, in many cases having taken on companies either cut off or disaffected by the big four. There is one within a shortish drive from my house (small company that deals a few of the smaller brands and does service and repairs too) and even though I'm not an accuscope customer I think there is real value in being able to physically demo a product and deal with someone face to face*. They're more expensive than some but QC is definitely an added value.

*When there isn't a pandemic on.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 am

First two posts on the forum are in praise of a microscope reseller? Spam much?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:21 am

This actually seems to be a nice marketing idea: There is no model 3001, so when we have a look at the producer's and retailer's website and search for the model they can get a good idea how many people are interested in their products and react on this post.
An that is a marketing picture, not one an owner made of his own microscope...
Convincing products usually don't need this type of product placement!

Bob

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:45 pm

I am not a fan of Chinese microscopes in the budget to mid. level. This is mid. level. About as good as a 30 to 50 year old microscope from any of the top 10 makers in that period. The fact that ACCU-SCOPE does perform a q.c. check on them is great but this microscope is a stencil brand. It is cosmetically slightly different but essentially a Zeiss Primostar.
Zeiss, I'm sure makes sure that all the knobs turn and the squeeks are gone too but you pay for that. I can buy that same microscope for around 1000.00 or less, delivered to my door. Check it over myself and return it if there are glaring problems. I become ACCU-SCOPE or Zeiss in that event. The Chinese will sell any one that microscope factory direct. It is about as good optically as a decent lab scope made by any of the 10 major makers 40 years ago but inferior mechanically. It has a cheap led system that there is a good chance will fail in the next 10 years, plastic mechanisms that might well get brittle and fail, lens separations are an unknown but if it happens to the biggies why not in budget lenses? Iris diaphragms can crunch, stages wear, nosepiece bearings get rough, dust and film settle in, and softens the image. Repair and maintenance takes time and expertise. Where is that with the cheap market retailers and where are the replacement parts?
I would rather though, spend a little over double and get a 100 watt research stand or an alternate led, with 6 60mm parfocal plan objectives a 25mm f.o.v. and the availability of fairly inexpensive plan fluor objectives and a DIC system in the waiting when I want to spend that money. Phase would cost an extra 1000.00 complete. The design is new, the q.c. much more likely to take place on such an instrument and parts and service back up would be deemed quite important . It wouldn't be sold as a disposable microscope.
I use a series 60 year old series 4 with 7 phase options, a couple of fluorite BF objectives and DF quite a lot. It has a small footprint, it is convenient and it was built by master craftsmen. It isn't my only choice of a microscope but I use it because of it's versatility and the image quality is quite good. It has a 20mm f.o.v. It cost about 600.00 in entirety. I can see a lot of things with it that a BF microscope such as the 3001 or even standard dark phase microscope cannot. It will still be in use by someone, when the 3001 will be a doorstop.
Last edited by apochronaut on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:25 pm

lasvideo wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:03 pm
It's nice to know there are asshats even at this site.

BTW, AH's, there is a 3001 model. It's the trinocular version. Now, go play with your little scopes and leave the adults alone.
If it is facts you want - you are here on false pretenses and your name calling is, how shall I put it ... childish
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Scarodactyl

#7 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:54 pm

Woahhh sorry, you convinced me lasvideo, I take back everything I said.

Chris Dee

#8 Post by Chris Dee » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:35 am

Love it when spammers get backed into a corner. They get all hissy like a cat caught stealing the Sunday roast :D

I own an Apex badged Chinascope model that is still being sold under various brands in the £400-500 bracket. That had a QC sticker on it, the mains earth wire wasn't even connected. It's 5 plan achromatic objectives are semi-plan at best and the objective nosepiece doesn't index accurately. I've decided to give it to a friends kids to play with, most suitable role for it.

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:57 am

Amazing that an apparent spammer can come new to any forum and start calling some of it's most respected members "asshats."

Major disservice to both the brand (who checks it once) and the reseller (who apparently checks it twice) that he's hoping to promote. Naughty, not nice.

Scarodactyl

#10 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:47 am

I get a lot of banner ads for Microscope World, which I don't mind at all. Their pricing always seems high to me.