Question regarding eyepiece

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
rgpmicro

Question regarding eyepiece

#1 Post by rgpmicro » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:54 pm

We've got a basic Omano microscope, up to 400X. I've got a camera for it, and we've used it several times, but recently, when I went to use it with just the stock eyepiece that came with it, something doesn't seem right. When I look in the eyepiece, I have to move my eye back the whole width of my hand. If I put my eye close to the eyepiece then all I see is just a very narrow dot of light. I have to basically make a circle with my hand (thumb to index finger) and put that against the eyepiece and look through that. It seems like anyway something is missing? How many lenses should be in the eyepiece? I have just one.

It's a 10X eyepiece BTW.

MicroBob

Re: Question regarding eyepiece

#2 Post by MicroBob » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi,
typical eyepieces have at least two lenses. Is it possible that the bottom lens has fallen down in the tube after a retaining ring has fallen out? With a bit of luck the ring and lens fall out when you upend the microscope and shake it a little.

Bob

rgpmicro

#3 Post by rgpmicro » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:26 pm

Ok, that's what I was thinking. Nothing in the scope, I'll look around a few more places, and then if not, just buy a new eyepiece.

Thanks!

Placozoa

#4 Post by Placozoa » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:30 am

My eyepiece has 3 lenses. Two to focus light and one thats a flat piece of glass with an arrow on it. The eyepiece can be unscrewed in the centre, and I have had this loosen while I was using it, but I realized in time and took it out and tightened it. had this come unscrewed half the eyepiece would have slid down the tube and would be sitting next to the prism that redirects the image when I turn the top tube back and forth. The prism is easily accessible on mine by undoing 3 recessed allen screws.

Could part of your eyepiece be there?