Wives and OUR Microscopes

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
einman

Wives and OUR Microscopes

#1 Post by einman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Well In a previous post I mentioned how my wife said I needed to get out more often because of the time spent in my home lab. Surprisingly enough I caught her using my Nikon SMZ-2T to identify why her plants were dieing. She said she was seeing if it was a disease or an insect. She still hasn't mastered using a "binocular" scope. Says her eyes just cant seem to handle separate eyepieces.

Hmm.. could be justification for upgrading the SMZ to a newer model. Not that it would help her "eye" problem but....
Last edited by einman on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

gekko

Re: Wives and OUR Microscopes

#2 Post by gekko » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:32 pm

(1) Wonderful!
(2) Home lab? Looks better equipped and arranged than my work lab (when I was working)!
(3) I think you should start planning either on "time sharing" the lab with your lovely wife, or get yourself another setup (and pretty soon, I think).
Thanks for sharing: great post!

einman

#3 Post by einman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:30 am

gekko wrote:(1) Wonderful!
(2) Home lab? Looks better equipped and arranged than my work lab (when I was working)!
(3) I think you should start planning either on "time sharing" the lab with your lovely wife, or get yourself another setup (and pretty soon, I think).
Thanks for sharing: great post!

Actually about the only time she comes to the lab is to play video games on my desktop. I know what she wants when she comes down and says "don't you have something to look at under your microscope"..meaning get off the computer I want to play video games!

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:56 pm

Both my wife and my daughter use microscopes off and on but only when it has been set up for them. Mostly , they are interested in stereo microscope subjects but they both complain about not being able to either focus both eyes or being able to obtain the correct ocular width. Even though, they both know where all the controls are, they lack the experience, I guess. It often becomes a one eye squint.
It took a long time for the binocular microscope to be accepted. If you look at old catalogues, prior to the 1930's, many microscopes were featured as monocular , with binocular as an option. Spencer offered a binocular tube, that could be shifted sideways for monocular viewing; The Combination Binocular Monocular Body also called a Two in One in italics, was promoted in their catalogues, with a full page description complete with schematics of both modes into the 1930's. They also had a blinder feature on binocular tubes, where either eye could have a shutter placed over the beam, for accurate focusing of the other tube, so it seems that it isn't second nature to adapt to the use of a binocular optical instrument. I've more or less, loosely noticed that many people have similar problems with binoculars.

KurtM

#5 Post by KurtM » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:11 am

Funny how some folks find it difficult, even impossible, to look through a binocular microscope with both eyes. But I've seen it too. Heck, they breathe a sigh of relief when you tell 'em it's perfectly okay to look through just one eyepiece like a telescope...

But here's one for you: can you do the cross-eyed 3-D stereo views? I can, find them utterly fantastic and fascinating, and have even managed to take a few of my own.
See (the great) Charles Krebs' page for a few (wish he'd post more!): http://krebsmicro.com/3Dstacks/index.html
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:00 am

KurtM wrote:But here's one for you: can you do the cross-eyed 3-D stereo views?
One of many things that I've never been able to do. :)

apochronaut

#7 Post by apochronaut » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:42 pm

gekko wrote:
did your Mother tell you not to cross your eyes because god will make them stay that way, like my Mother did?

gekko

#8 Post by gekko » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:14 pm

apochronaut wrote:
gekko wrote:
did your Mother tell you not to cross your eyes because god will make them stay that way, like my Mother did?
Ha! Maybe, I don't remember :D .

KurtM

#9 Post by KurtM » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:02 am

I thought it was the solemn duty of every son or daughter to disregard anything and everything Mom or Dad said...
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

einman

#10 Post by einman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:30 am

Wow I did not realize the eye squinting etc was that common.