Leitz condenser - Cleaning

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
N3ptune

Leitz condenser - Cleaning

#1 Post by N3ptune » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:00 am

Hello,

As suggested by Zzffnn in my previous thread:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14989

I am transferring the subject of my condenser here, I have a spanner lens tool arriving by the mail in the next days, in order to unscrew lens B bellow.

So there are visible particles of dust inside of the lens of my condenser and these are visible in the views also.

Is there anything I should know or be aware of before I start cleaning the lens of the condenser, not to damage anything? It looks like by removing B lens with the special tool, I'll be able to clean the other lens under it. from the interior. It's not clear if there is a 3rd lens between, blocking the access.

Secondly, the little handle works ok, but it's not 100% smooth... Maybe not a big deal but I wonder if it could need a bit of grease on the inside, and involving the removal of F and E. Should I attempt this or leave it as it is?

Thanks.

zzffnn

Re: Leitz condenser - Cleaning

#2 Post by zzffnn » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:44 am

Some dust or fog in condenser lenses usually don't affect image quality that much, unless you are running DIC and prisms are bad.

That said, condenser lenses are not too difficult to clean and re-assemble in good shape, unless said dust or fog is in between lens packs.

N3ptune

#3 Post by N3ptune » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:48 pm

Oki, There is no fog or humidity in it !

Just some large particles of dust that will be easy to remove probably with my Giotto's air duster. I should have the spanner tool this week to unscrew that lens.

Good to know that the condenser will not bo too difficult to re-assemble.. I'll make my one custom flat screwdriver with a grinder instead of buying a kit of small screwdrivers!

Thanks!

PrecisionInstruments

#4 Post by PrecisionInstruments » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:22 am

Remove the four screws on the top of the condenser turret. This will provide access to the top of the lower optic.

The flip top lens has a pin which will fit in between a folk. You’ll see this once open.
I have a headache, For which the future’s made

zzffnn

#5 Post by zzffnn » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:31 am

Also be careful with the iris. They are not easy to re-assemble.

N3ptune

#6 Post by N3ptune » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:17 pm

PrecisionInstruments wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:22 am
Remove the four screws on the top of the condenser turret. This will provide access to the top of the lower optic.

The flip top lens has a pin which will fit in between a folk. You’ll see this once open.
Ok in my images the letter E and F could both be the top of the turret, they both have 4 screws, which one is it exactly?

N3ptune

#7 Post by N3ptune » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:19 pm

zzffnn wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:31 am
Also be careful with the iris. They are not easy to re-assemble.
The Iris which lens is it exactly? is it 1 lens or a set of lens?

Dubious

#8 Post by Dubious » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:55 pm

The iris diaphragm--the part with the metal leaves that opens and closes. And I second the caution; if disassembled, they can be a nightmare to get back together.

zzffnn

#9 Post by zzffnn » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:07 pm

Iris of the condenser. Yours should have only one.

PrecisionInstruments

#10 Post by PrecisionInstruments » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:32 am

The four screws on the top plate around the perimeter sorry.

Removing these screws will allow you to take off the top plate along with the flip top lens. You will see how this engages with the mechanism inside, it’s quite simple.

If this is off a Diaplan, there will be no aperture diaphragm in the condenser as it is located in the instrument base.
I have a headache, For which the future’s made

EYE C U

#11 Post by EYE C U » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:55 am

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 7.54.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 7.54.53 PM.png (398.63 KiB) Viewed 3356 times

zzffnn

#12 Post by zzffnn » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:00 am

Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:32 am

The four screws on the top plate around the perimeter sorry.

Removing these screws will allow you to take off the top plate along with the flip top lens. You will see how this engages with the mechanism inside, it’s quite simple.

If this is off a Diaplan, there will be no aperture diaphragm in the condenser as it is located in the instrument base.
My mistake. His condenser is from Diaplan, indeed, so it does not have diaphragm.