Omax M83EZ-C02

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
MitchW

Omax M83EZ-C02

#1 Post by MitchW » Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:41 pm

Just received my first compound trinocular scope. Now that I'm retired I have time to get "back to my roots". I initially was a marine bio major back in the 70s. Wound up becoming a gemologist and owning two jewelry stores doing gem ID and appraisal, so had experience using a GIA gemscope, then became a math teacher.
My new scope is having issues with the very low MP camera which was included so the whole thing may go back to Amazon. If anyone has recommendations on a trinocular scope in the under $400 range I'm open to suggestions.
New to microscopy after 45 years
Former gemologist and teacher
Omax M83EZ-CO2 w/Nikon Z fc
LinkMicro LM249MS

PeteM

Re: Omax M83EZ-C02

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:56 pm

Mitch, disappointment with USB camera images -- and even better cameras for that matter -- is common. Cell phone cameras held steady in a holder, often do better. If you're a photographer and have or want a DSLR with live viewing or a mirrorless camera, the trinocular head makes sense.

Should you be "handy" and willing to take some time, your $400 will go much farther with a top-tier used microscope. I can send you a copy of our guide to microscope brands and models (mostly used) if you'd like. PM me when you get enough posts to do so. Generally speaking, $400 might get you something like a Nikon Labophot, an Olympus BH2, a Zeiss Standard, a Leitz Laborlux several other quality choices - each with some things that you need to check and be aware of.

MitchW

#3 Post by MitchW » Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:42 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I'm am avid photographer for 30 years. I'm testing out my Nikon D7100, and Z mirrorless although it needs an adapter bringing it about 2" further a making focus am issue.
New to microscopy after 45 years
Former gemologist and teacher
Omax M83EZ-CO2 w/Nikon Z fc
LinkMicro LM249MS

deBult

#4 Post by deBult » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:17 am

To avoid shutter induced vibrations you require a camera with EFSC Electronic First Shutter Curtain.

More info : https://krebsmicro.com/