Vintage Carl Zeiss Jena Lg questions

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Bakauata

Vintage Carl Zeiss Jena Lg questions

#1 Post by Bakauata » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:18 am

Hi. I recently acquired a Carl Zeiss Jena Lg microscope and have few questions regarding disassembly, operation, and dating.

Regarding operation; what is the lever (seen poking out in photo below) on the head between the eyepieces for?

ImageImage

The scope is in fairly good shape (for it's age, and compared to other vintage ones I've come across at this price), but there is some play in the binocular head which I would like to try and fix. The rest of the mechanical functions work great.

The coupling ring marked A below has some rotational play relative to the rest of the head. Any suggestion on how to tighten, disassemble or otherwise fix the issue? The play does not seem to affect viewing or focus.

I'm also curious as to what the screw labeled B is for.

Regarding dating, it seems to have characteristics from both the pre and post-war samples and catalogs I've seen.

Serial number on the stand is 287713.
It has all metal knobs which would indicate pre-war (were later changed to plastic in post-war Jena samples).
The screw, labeled B above, I've only seen on pre-war samples.
The knurled screw to lock the head to the stand is more characteristic of post-war samples.
The simpler condenser setup also indicates post-war.

Any idea what year it might be from?

Thanks for reading. Any help welcome.
Chris

Polymerase

Re: Vintage Carl Zeiss Jena Lg questions

#2 Post by Polymerase » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:10 pm

Have you tried the Zeiss archives? I am the owner of no. 48775, which i dated to 1909 by the help of the scanned production books.

https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en/abou ... -880734397

If you can’t find it there, try sending an inquiry:

https://www.zeiss.com/corporate/en/abou ... ml#contact

This discussion may be of help:

viewtopic.php?t=10406

Bakauata

Re: Vintage Carl Zeiss Jena Lg questions

#3 Post by Bakauata » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:26 am

Thanks for the reply @Polymerase.

I had checked the Zeiss archives, but, for microscopes, I only found production lists up until 1920. My Lg stand is from around 1937. Also read most (if not all) posts on Zeiss L stands in the forum.

I'll try sending Zeiss a message.

Thanks