Zeiss Standard gets a new home

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
charlie

Zeiss Standard gets a new home

#1 Post by charlie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:22 pm

Thank you all for your help here at MicrobeHunter.com. I really appreciate it. Charles gets the undisputed MVP award. After 4000 PMs to Charles , I have a Zeiss!
Attachments
Zeiss 1024 pixel.jpg
Zeiss 1024 pixel.jpg (241.9 KiB) Viewed 11836 times

75RR

Re: Zeiss Standard gets a new home

#2 Post by 75RR » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Standard 18 with the modern trinocular head. Nice!

What is the function of the "L" shaped plates?
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Crater Eddie

#3 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:40 pm

Nice!
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:53 pm

75RR wrote:Standard 18 with the modern trinocular head. Nice!

What is the function of the "L" shaped plates?
It came with a DIC condenser and was probably originally set up for DIC. The 'L' piece elevates the focus mechanism about 8mm so the stage can be lowered by 8mm more which is to accommodate the 8mm taken by the objective DIC slide spacer.

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:55 pm

Looking good Charlie! Glad I could be of help.

charlie

#6 Post by charlie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:57 pm

Charles has limited what I am allowed to play with until I show a rudimentary competency. :-) (With good reason!)
Here is an overview:
http://s585.photobucket.com/user/charli ... cent/story

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:21 pm

It came with a DIC condenser and was probably originally set up for DIC. The 'L' piece elevates the focus mechanism about 8mm so the stage can be lowered by 8mm more which is to accommodate the 8mm taken by the objective DIC slide spacer.
Thanks Charles. Interesting.
Charles has limited what I am allowed to play with until I show a rudimentary competency
Quite right. :) First walk then run. With these modular systems you can (in time) run as far and as fast as you like.

gekko

#8 Post by gekko » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:25 pm

A beauty. I always enjoy looking at the elegant curve of the "arm" of those Zeiss scopes. Congratulations!

charlie

#9 Post by charlie » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Charles has explained to me (as have many of you others have by example), that one microscope is not enough. :-) Here is another that Charles steered me towards.
Attachments
Standard 18 - 1024x981.png
Standard 18 - 1024x981.png (500.84 KiB) Viewed 11759 times

Charles

#10 Post by Charles » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Wonderful things of beauty, function and durability!

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:02 pm

Standard 18 with Trinocular Head, 60w illuminator and Rotary stage! Very nice.

Time to start using them. Lets see some photographs.

gekko

#12 Post by gekko » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:06 pm

I echo what Charles said, as well as what 75RR said. Congratulations.

charlie

#13 Post by charlie » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:47 am

Thanks guys :-)

rnabholz

#14 Post by rnabholz » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:19 am

Congratulations on a fantastic scope. Anxiously awaiting the reports and pics!

Rod

charlie

#15 Post by charlie » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:03 pm

omg I have been going nuts trying to figure out why I had trouble with Kohler sometimes. But worse, what I was seeing just didn't seem that good.

You guys DIDNT tell me the illuminator BULB had to be adjusted!! That helped more than even Kohler. (Thankfully, Charles had sent me the pdf for the illuminator and I finally actually looked at it.) lol
Now that I am done complaining; what have you done for me lately? :-) The whole illuminator assembly, including the tube going into the microscope, wobbles quite a bit. I guess that isn't good so any advice? Also, the tube is quite dusty all the way to the interior lens. Does that get cleaned?

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... sembly.jpg

Charles

#16 Post by Charles » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:37 pm

charlie wrote:You guys DIDNT tell me the illuminator BULB had to be adjusted!! That helped more than even Kohler. (Thankfully, Charles had sent me the pdf for the illuminator and I finally actually looked at it.) lol
Now that I am done complaining; what have you done for me lately? :-) The whole illuminator assembly, including the tube going into the microscope, wobbles quite a bit. I guess that isn't good so any advice? Also, the tube is quite dusty all the way to the interior lens. Does that get cleaned?
That's why there are so many adjustment knobs on the lamphouse! :D

The whole illuminator assembly (where the lamphouse attaches) is held by one small screw which attaches it to the base and it is probably loose and needs to be tightened. To get to it you will need to remove the elevated base. There are two bolts holding the elevated base on. The bolts have rubber sleeves ,which are on metal sleeves, which expand with the bolts are tightened to hold the it securely to the base. You will need to unscrew the two bolts and pull the metal sleeves with rubber sleeves out. Once you get the elevated base off, you can see where the illumination tube connects to the frame with a small screw near the back. unscrew the screw and you can remove the whole assembly and can clean as much as you want.

Crater Eddie

#17 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:10 am

By the time you are satisfied with your images, you are going to know your scope inside and out. That's a good thing, by the way.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

75RR

#18 Post by 75RR » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:20 am

Simultaneous posting with Charles again!

There are two possible causes for a wobbly 60w illuminator: the illuminator itself or the collector tube.
See page 4 of Illuminator 60 Operating instructions Fig 3, items # 7 and # 9

1) The set screw that holds the illuminator on has not been tightened (see item # 9)
Note: lightly finger tight only - never over tighten any screw!

2) The collector tube screw has come loose (see item # 7)
To get to it you have to remove the riser plate, which is held on by two metric Allen screws. Lay the microscope carefully on its side - since you have a rotating stage it might be good idea to lay it on a towel. I find removing the tricocular head first makes things simpler.

Again, do not over tighten the screws.

Set up the illuminator following instructions on page 6.

The next step is to focus the filament (by a front and rear movement of the bulb) on the bottom of the condenser diaphragm (front focal plane) Use a small mirror or a slide held at an angle just under the condenser to be able to see what you are doing. Do not forget to close the condenser diaphragm or you will have nothing to focus the element on!

The good news is that once you have done this it is done. You do not need to go through this again unless you mess around with the illuminator.

Charles

#19 Post by Charles » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:26 am

If you need to remove the rotating stage, you just remove the top portion by doing the same thing you do to remove the condenser from the condenser carrier, but this time you Will need to loosen the two centering screws in the back on either side. Then pull the stage towards you against the front spring bolt and lift out from the back. You also may want to remove the objective turret first, so you don't inadvertently hit your objectives with the stage.

charlie

#20 Post by charlie » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:12 am

Thank you Charles and Glen for your help once again! I should be able to handle that. (Now that you have told me how! lol)

We are going to have to make this one work. The Ampro went back after 75RR made me wise to wasted magnification. The Epi-Fluorescent went back after Charles discovered serious problems. So again thank you; I am digging out my screwdrivers again and diving in! :-)

75RR

#21 Post by 75RR » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:32 am

... what I was seeing just didn't seem that good.
You need to be methodical and patient.

This is not something that you can just jump in and fly by the seat of your pants.

The Zeiss Standards are precision instruments that are designed to be fine tuned, the other side of the coin is of course that they can get out of tune.

When they do, and second hand ones without provenance are likely to be out of tune, one has to slowly and methodically bring them back to their correct settings.

A challenging prospect for a beginner but definitely attainable.

The trick if you can call it that is to read up on the subject. There are some very good books, manuals and links to articles and tutorials that explain how things are set up and why.

That and keep asking questions -

charlie

#22 Post by charlie » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:43 pm

I have pieces!
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... pieces.jpg

I have a few questions before I start the reassembly questions. :-) Does this wire, that seems to be entering a hole made for it, have a purpose? Is the other end supposed to be attached to something?
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... ousing.jpg

Can the condenser lens be removed? (If that is the right name.) I guess I should ask too IF it should ever be removed.
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... 0lense.jpg

At first I thought this was corrosion caused by stray electricity but now I am not so sure what it is. Any ideas what it is? After I clean it up, any thoughts on preventing it from reforming?
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... 8/base.jpg
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... bottom.jpg

75RR

#23 Post by 75RR » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:06 pm

Is this another microscope or have you dismantled the last one you showed us?
I have a few questions before I start the reassembly questions. :-) Does this wire, that seems to be entering a hole made for it, have a purpose? Is the other end supposed to be attached to something?
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... ousing.jpg
The wire would seem to be substituting for the pin that holds the diffuser in place. The original pin looks like the one towards the back of the illuminator.
Can the condenser lens be removed? (If that is the right name.) I guess I should ask too IF it should ever be removed.
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... 0lense.jpg
From the photo it looks like you are referring to the auxiliary lens, which is used with low power objectives to increase the field of view. The auxiliary lens and the filter holder can be removed, there is a screw (and a very small washer) in the bottom of the post that they swing on.
At first I thought this was corrosion caused by stray electricity but now I am not so sure what it is. Any ideas what it is? After I clean it up, any thoughts on preventing it from reforming?
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... 8/base.jpg
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... bottom.jpg
Those are marks left by the small rubber/plastic feet the microscope rests on. Do not know what may have happened to them - something spilt perhaps.

75RR

#24 Post by 75RR » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:21 pm

You should check your light bulb for markings, it should be 12v 60w, your Power Supply however is only supplying half that.
http://s585.photobucket.com/user/charli ... S.jpg.html

charlie

#25 Post by charlie » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:18 pm

75RR wrote:Is this another microscope or have you dismantled the last one you showed us?
This is the last one. (posted Dec 8) Thanks for all the advice Glen. I did not even have a guess as to what was up with that wire! Sounds like the the auxiliary lens is not typically removed. (I leave the filter holder empty and wondered if that lens should be stored unless in use also.) Here is the other end of the wire:
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... 8/wire.jpg

The bulb is a 12V 60W; I just found out today while questioning Charles about a replacement bulb that the power supply is wrong. The plan is to use a bench top power supply (made from a computer PS) for the short term. I am concerned about how I will replace that missing screw. (where the wire is now.) Zeiss parts don't seem to match common off the shelf components! :-) Two of the bulb centering adjustment knobs are badly enough bent that it would be nice to replace them too.

Would this be a good time to clean and lube the focusing assembly? The coarse focus is pretty stiff. I need to do the same to the stage adjusters. Front to back on the stage is very stiff.
Last edited by charlie on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

75RR

#26 Post by 75RR » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Sounds like the the auxiliary lens is not typically removed. (I leave the filter holder empty and wondered if that lens should be stored unless in use also.)
I thought you wanted to remove them to clean them. They are normally only removed if you wanted to swop them for another one. Just leave them there and swing them in or out as needed. You will have to place a blue filter in the filter holder, otherwise the light from the bulb is too yellowish.
Would this be a good time to clean and lube the focusing assembly? The coarse focus is pretty stiff. I need to do the same to the stage adjusters. Front to back on the stage is very stiff.
I have never had to lubricate the focusing assembly so I can not advise you how to proceed. Same goes for that type of stage. Yet if they are too stiff it might be a good idea. Take into account that they may well loosen in time. It might be worthwhile gently running them back and forth several times and see if it feels smoother after a bit.
The bulb is a 12V 60W; I just found out today while questioning Charles about a replacement bulb that the power supply is wrong. The plan is to use a bench top power supply (made from a computer PS) for the short term. I am concerned about how I will replace that missing screw. (where the wire is now.) Zeiss parts don't seem to match common off the shelf components! :-) Two of the bulb centering adjustment knobs are badly enough bent that it would be nice to replace them too.
You will find it difficult to obtain the missing pin which appears to be held in position by a screw which is accessible from inside the illuminator. Perhaps something can be made up. More problematic are the centering screws or is it the set screws for the spring bolts? See the 60w illuminator manual.
If you are referring to the two top ones and they are bent, though I can not imagine why, you will have to straighten them, otherwise you will not be able to center the filament coil. You may have to source another illuminator.

Found a photo of your illuminator socket - the centering screws do not look bent from this angle.
http://s585.photobucket.com/user/charli ... 6.jpg.html

charlie

#27 Post by charlie » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:51 pm

75RR wrote:You will have to place a blue filter in the filter holder, otherwise the light from the bulb is too yellowish. ..... centering screws or is it the set screws for the spring bolts?
I completely forgot that I once read that! Even seeing the blue filter and deciding to remove it didn't trigger a recall. Thanks

Yes the 2 centering screws are badly bent. Luckily not so bad as to make them not function. Whatever was spilled on the riser and base is an evil, gooey mess. It melted the paint off the riser!
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... %20goo.jpg

charlie

#28 Post by charlie » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:55 pm

75RR wrote: you are referring to the auxiliary lens, which is used with low power objectives to increase the field of view. Those are marks left by the small rubber/plastic feet the microscope rests on.
Thanks, now I know what that lens is for. Looks like those rubber feet are GONE!

Charles promises me this will all go back together! :-) Disassembled for lubrication:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... embled.jpg

charlie

#29 Post by charlie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:55 pm

I don't worry about being mistaken for someone that knows what they are doing but it is progress! :-)
http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss29 ... %2040x.jpg
Attachments
pine leaf 40x-1024.jpg
pine leaf 40x-1024.jpg (175.28 KiB) Viewed 11530 times

75RR

#30 Post by 75RR » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:57 pm

First I would like to congratulate you on putting everything back together.

Had a quick look at the photos you uploaded to photobucket via your link - great looking arrows - I imagine they are there as part of your queries to Charles. Have to admit you lost me on the chop sticks.

As to your image a little explanation as to what we are looking at would help as would details such as objective used, size (hardly anyone does that though I wish they would - useful info), illumination and whether it is a single image or stacked.

Microscopes are a bit like musical instruments - it takes time to master them.

As to setting up your microscope: i.e. checking that every thing is as it should be, a subject such as a diatom (check out Klaus Kemp: http://www.diatoms.co.uk/) or a stage micrometer is useful.

Though 1024 pixels is the maximum upload size, each image has an ideal size according to its characteristics. In this case I think your image suffers from a little empty magnification.