Nikon Optiphot

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
hyla

Nikon Optiphot

#1 Post by hyla » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Here is my Nikon Optiphot!

So, the major modification I made...
First, as you can see there is a base light, and a light condenser. That was not on the original that I bought. I had to get another base that had the base light, and I had to get the condenser. It was a bit intimidating to have to change the whole base out immediately after buying it, but it was not as hard as I thought it would be.

Once I changed out the base I thought I was all set. Until I looked around on the internet a little more... I found out the the objectives I have are apparently not ideal for looking at biological things because they are not intended for that, and the problem was that they may focus on the cover-slip or not be able to focus through the cover-slip as well as objectives intended for biological use. I was kind of sad upon reading this, but decided to try looking at biological stuff anyway (the replacement objectives were expensive!). I have found that I really don't have a problem with the objectives. I seem to get a perfectly fine image of biological material when using a cover slip, so I don't know if I would even bother to replace them.
My next project with my microscope is to try and get a better camera system, because my current system is to hold my phone camera to the eyepiece and struggle with it for a few minutes before I just have to settle with whatever kind of image I can get.

Crater Eddie

Re: Nikon Optiphot

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:55 pm

I do not see the image of your microscope.
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

hyla

#3 Post by hyla » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:05 pm

oh no! I can see it fine, so I thought I had done it right. I will try to re-post it!

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:41 pm

No image yet. Perhaps if you told us what steps you have taken we can help out.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

hyla

#5 Post by hyla » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:38 pm

I clicked the "Img" button at the top, and inserted a copy of the URL for the picture in the middle where the mouse was. I could not see a photo until I hit "preview" and then I was able to see the photo. I posted it, and when I view the post the picture is there.

Here I'll try again below.

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:52 pm

It is visible now.
Nice looking microscope. Is it setup for DIC?
What objectives does it have and why are they not supposed to work with "Pond Life"?

hyla

#7 Post by hyla » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:30 am

Well, I'm not exactly sure, but from what I found the numbers on my objectives indicate that they are not meant to be used with a cover slip because the image may not be as clear.

As you can see in the picture (hopefully it showed up!) the numbers on the bottom (210/0) indicates the thickness of the cover-slip that should be used. Specifically the number "0" indicates that there shouldn't be a cover slip, because the thickness of the cover-slip should be 0. That is how I understood it anyway!
Also, I only have 4 objectives and no oil immersion objective. However, all that being said, I haven't really had any issues. The images I'm getting may not be as clear as they would with different objectives, but they are clear enough for me!
I found some of my information about objectives from the MicrobeHunter website! You guys can check it out for yourself if you would like.
http://www.microbehunter.com/about-the- ... objective/

gekko

#8 Post by gekko » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:11 am

Thank you-- nice microscope and, if I may say so, enterprising microscopist. As you figured out, the BD objectives are for reflected light (epi-illumination), which is why the microscope originally didn't have provision for transillumination of the objects, and why they are not meant to be used with a cover glass. I think this was a metallurgical scope or something similar. I think (although I'm not sure) that your objectives have a wider thread than the standard "biological" objectives. Here are a couple of links for some information:
http://www.microscopyu.com/articles/opt ... ecial.html (scroll 2/3rds of the way down)
A PDF file with more information:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... XY&cad=rja

hyla

#9 Post by hyla » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:11 am

Thanks for the information gekko!
You are correct about this microscope being used to look at metal objects. I purchased it from a man who used it to look at microchips. When I bought it I didn't know that the objectives would be different, I thought all I needed to do was to add a base light. I have an extra revolving nosepiece that holds 5 objectives and appears to fit biological objectives. I will have to slowly acquire the proper objectives I guess!

75RR, I forgot to mention in my last post that I am not exactly sure what "DIC" is. I looked into it a little, and I from what I found out I do not think that my microscope is setup for it. However, many of the images I found when looking up DIC microscope techniques were very pretty!

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:00 pm

However, many of the images I found when looking up DIC microscope techniques were very pretty!
Indeed they are. Tis the holy grail of "Pond Life" imaging.
Not cheap, but do keep an eye out. You may just bump into a well priced one.
I believe gekko has DIC on a similar microscope to yours.

http://www.microscopyu.com/galleries/di ... index.html