AO Spencer Model 28LF, Yet Another Stereo

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
KurtM

AO Spencer Model 28LF, Yet Another Stereo

#1 Post by KurtM » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:57 am

No, I'm not obsessed with this family of stereoscopic microscopes. At least, I don't think I am. But dang it, the swing arm had my curiosity piqued so I made a ridiculous offer and the seller accepted so now I have three very similar old stereos. But it's no hardship, each has cost just a little over fifty bucks, how am I supposed to say no??

So behold the Model 28LF. 28 means a rotating binocular head on a swing arm, the L indicates inclined eyepieces instead of straight up, and the F denotes 1x, 2x, and 3x paired objective lenses and 9x eyepieces. I think I got all that right. The best part about this deal is the condition it arrived in: in a word, excellent! For the life of me it appears to have been in a collection since it was squeaky clean inside and out, all lube seems fresh, and there are no scratches on the optics from improper cleaning. The stage plate has taken a beating, but that's almost always the case. There are no stage clips, but this model may not have been supplied with them for all I know since it was meant for large specimens (the swing arm), but it did come with the rarely seen opaque black/white plate (not in the pictures but in very nice condition also) that slides under the stage glass if desired.

One of these days I'll get a set of arm rests, but talk about rare.
Attachments
Spencer Model 28LF 01 740px.jpg
Spencer Model 28LF 01 740px.jpg (104.43 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Spencer Model 28LF 02 740px.jpg
Spencer Model 28LF 02 740px.jpg (119.21 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

charlie

Re: AO Spencer Model 28LF, Yet Another Stereo

#2 Post by charlie » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:31 am

That is really sweet Kurt! We need a family portrait. :-)

I envy you. Somewhere I read of someone buying nice used scopes in that price range and giving them to his grandkids. Seems an excellent idea rather than giving plastic junk.

Congratulations

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:40 am

Those are very useful scopes . Congratulations.One of them has been my go to stereo for years, mainly because it has most of the features of a boom microscope but little of the bulk and footprint. There should be a little hole in the head, to accept the mounting pin of a nicholas illuminator.

rnabholz

#4 Post by rnabholz » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:16 am

Wow Kurt, another beauty for the stable.

That looks like it is in really super condition. I always wonder about the story behind things like this. His did it survive so well? Someones pride and joy? Used once and put away? ????

Congrats on another great scope.

Rod