Zeiss Pancratic

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Charles

Zeiss Pancratic

#1 Post by Charles » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:21 pm

A new Zeiss to play with. I purchased a Zeiss Pancratic condenser set a few months ago:
Zeiss Panratic.jpg
Zeiss Panratic.jpg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
It is like a Leitz Heine condenser in that there is an optical 'piston' which is raised or lowered inside to provide different types of illumination...BF, DF, Phase, Oblique. The base diaphragm can also be adjusted much like the old oblique mechanism under the condenser.

Since this has the quick mounting bracket, I also needed a dedicated base like a Universal or WL to mount this on and picked up a nice Zeiss WL base a few days ago:
Zeiss WL.jpg
Zeiss WL.jpg (23.21 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
After adding a head, an intermediate piece for future Pol, five objective turret with some Plan objectives, stage and in base lighting:
Zeiss Pancratic Left.jpg
Zeiss Pancratic Left.jpg (45.68 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
Zeiss Pancratic Right.jpg
Zeiss Pancratic Right.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
Now I have something new to play with for a few days. :)

zzffnn

Re: Zeiss Pancratic

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Thank you for sharing, Charles. I have been wondering what that looks like (I read about Leitz Heine before).

Comapred to this Zeiss condenser, the Leitz Heine seems more compact and DIY friendly.

Besides Zeiss Pancreatic and Leitz Heine, is there a similar CHEAPER condenser that can do phase, darkfield and oblique in one unit?

charlie

#3 Post by charlie » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:09 pm

Charles wrote:Now I have something new to play with for a few days. :)
lol Hard to believe you can ever get bored. (with all your toys, err, tools of the trade.)

That is another neat one Charles!

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:37 pm

zzffnn wrote:Thank you for sharing, Charles. I have been wondering what that looks like (I read about Leitz Heine before).

Comapred to this Zeiss condenser, the Leitz Heine seems more compact and DIY friendly.

Besides Zeiss Pancreatic and Leitz Heine, is there a similar CHEAPER condenser that can do phase, darkfield and oblique in one unit?
The Leitz Heine is more compact but does not have the adjustable base mirror diaphragm so is not capable of oblique illumination by itself.

No, I am not aware of any other condenser with the same properties as the Heine or Pancratic condenser.

Charles

#5 Post by Charles » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:39 pm

charlie wrote:
Charles wrote:Now I have something new to play with for a few days. :)
lol Hard to believe you can ever get bored. (with all your toys, err, tools of the trade.)

That is another neat one Charles!
Thank you Charlie.

I am never bored but it is always nice to play with something different.

KurtM

#6 Post by KurtM » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:40 am

Very cool! I sure wish I could see a demonstration of it first hand!!
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/