What you can get for under $100

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Oktagon

Re: What you can get for under $100

#31 Post by Oktagon » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:51 am

This article is a main source for many when it comes to th evolution of Zeiss Standard series.
Many years ago I owned an orifinal Zeiss L stand from early 40's. For that time it was revolutionary design, as most scopes of that period relied on straight tubus and any inclination was achieved through retracting entire limb with stage. This was OK for fixed specimens, but not OK for droplets or microwells. L stand was clearly an inspiration, or rather ancestry of the Standard series, which I believe was the first Zeiss line introduced after adoption of DIN standard. The first Standard series (black) was still made of solif brass, while the second series (the famous Gray Line) apparently used alluminum castinfs mated with brass fittings where components interconnected. I only recently learned that gray line was alluminum, and always thought that it was brass as well. I still am not 100% sure, as black and gray WL stands weigh the same, which clearly should not be the case. I am too proud of my scopes to drill into them and analyze metallic composition. In any case, I'm still hunting for the ellusive all black (not hammertone gray) Universal or Photomic stand. I have never seen one, nor have I seen the photographs of one, only pictures. If such beast exists, I will find it, capture it and equip accordingly to be a gemstone of my collection, along with (coming soon) Ultraphot IIIB with all original accessories in the desk. I just bought probably the last NOS Max Erb Ultraphot from an institution which purchased it in 1971 and never even unpacked it. Talking about dry greese.

charlie g

#32 Post by charlie g » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Thank you both Oktagon and Yvan for fleshing out my stands pedigree...I love the curves and round heads on these Zeiss GFL/ &juniors, and my Reichert/Austria Biozet...the designs are organic vrs. boxy shaped stands...hmm.

In another great microscope forum, that forums owner (hi, Fezz!) once remarked that the curves...especially the rear of stand foot area rump ...are...well...err...never mind!

You can't make this up...but for my sub-$ 100 /free shipping...a second 'drum stick illuminator' came in the purchase.

Let me know ( I can't tell from your image in this thread, Oktagon) if your Zeiss/GFL holds that substage mirror in a simple depression in the stands base with a central mount hole for the mirror, let me know if your GFL has this construction...and if you'd like the substage illuminator I have no use for ( same as the illuminator on my 'junior').

Immediate post WWII...in the forced brain drains...a splinter start up Zeiss master opticians/microscope craftpersons did a from scratch: "Opton W" stand....wow the curves, the round body-head, the 'drum stick substage illuminator! I've been enchanted by the lineage in different stands/ different firms for this design strong set of traits! The story of the : "Opton W" is online...'google': green microscope, Opton w, wordpress.

I love these discussions on the stands...and I'd love, Oktagon,Yvan, Charles, eiman. et al if we have more of them!

I'm glad: error 403 has gone away for now. charlie guevara

Yvan

#33 Post by Yvan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Last edited by Yvan on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oktagon

#34 Post by Oktagon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:53 pm

Charie G, The mirror is mounted in the plug with central hole in the base of the microsecope, and yes, I am interested in the substage illuminator.

charlie g

#35 Post by charlie g » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:21 pm

As courtesy to this thread of yours...I better fast check if it's your thread Oktagon...I'll dig out the illuminator...post pics of it here (I think it's your thread!). charlie guevara

Oktagon

#36 Post by Oktagon » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:17 pm

charlie g wrote:As courtesy to this thread of yours...I better fast check if it's your thread Oktagon...I'll dig out the illuminator...post pics of it here (I think it's your thread!). charlie guevara

Thank you!