Smartphone microscope for 10 USD

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
mrmemory

Smartphone microscope for 10 USD

#1 Post by mrmemory » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:51 am

Before you ask.. no, this is not my best microscope :D

But I saw this smartphone lens on Amazon and thought, it could be useful, as it allows me to make videos. Additionally it is easy to handle and to transport. So I tried it and I would like to show the community, what one can get for 10 $.

Compared to the price, it´s a real good gadget. OK, one can´t use it for pictures on a cellular level, but it can be very useful for people, who are interested in botany and living insects.

Read here my short review

And here you can watch a short video, made wiht the lens: https://youtu.be/w8_nivwW9Kc
It shows an ant, eating from a drop of honey. It was really amazing to watch it, as I could even see, how the honey is flowing in it´s mouth.
Attachments
Ant under the smartphone microscope
Ant under the smartphone microscope
ant under the microscope.PNG (426.73 KiB) Viewed 3884 times
Smartphone microscope lens
Smartphone microscope lens
smartphone-microscope.jpg (124.2 KiB) Viewed 3884 times

Dale

Re: Smartphone microscope for 10 USD

#2 Post by Dale » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:33 am

Oliver did this with a lens from a hdd. Problem is attaching it. The article is
in the 'Magazine'. How does the one you show attach?
Dale
edit. oh, glue?
B&L Stereozoom 4. Nikon E600. AO Biostar 1820.

mrmemory

#3 Post by mrmemory » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:51 pm

Glue!

You have to open a small cover and then just to put it on the smartphone. The glue is strong enough to hold it in any position, it won´t fall down. When you´re done with you pictures, you take it down easily. No rests of glue remain on the phone. It´s like using a post it.

The only problem could be, that after using it (maybe) 200 times, the glue could lose it´s strength. I can´t say, becaus mine is still working.

Here you can see a youtube video, with a short review. It´s in German, but you can take a look, how to use it:
https://youtu.be/FspssCIkfuc

MicroMacro

#4 Post by MicroMacro » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:16 pm

I wonder if you can attach some RMS input onto a phone case & then add an actual objective lens.
Then you use a flashlight to lite up the image.