New Purchase Bestscope Model BS-2080 Chinese vs Big 5

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
einman

New Purchase Bestscope Model BS-2080 Chinese vs Big 5

#1 Post by einman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:35 am

So- There has been a constant debate when a new person arrives and asks for advice regarding a Chinese scope such as an Amscope, Omax etc.
So I decided to actually purchase one and compare it to some of my scopes by American Optical, B&L, Leitz and Meiji.

Here is the model I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/BestScope-BS-208 ... =bestscope

This is essentially the same stand sold under the Accu-scope 3025 https://www.microscopeinternational.com ... oC1uPw_wcB
and the Bioimager ( see eBay item number:280735568451 ) or refer to https://www.bioimager.com/biological/bum500.html

Granted it is a higher end scope with infinity objectives comparable to the Amscope model T700D http://www.amscope.com/compound-microsc ... scope.html

As you can see all of these scopes are essentially the same stand and in most cases the same optics. This amount of money can purchase some incredible used scopes on E-bay!

So -- once it gets here I will start the evaluation and probably do a write-up for the magazine. More to come.

lorez

Re: New Purchase Bestscope Model BS-2080 Chinese vs Big 5

#2 Post by lorez » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:16 am

Although I'm curious, I won't ask about your motivation to make such an investment. I've already had the opportunity to do the comparison you are about to embark upon and will be eagerly awaiting your report.

rnabholz

#3 Post by rnabholz » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:31 am

Wow, that is a serious commitment.

It will be great to have some head to head, real life observations.

Very much looking forward to your report. Thanks for undertaking the project.

Rod

einman

#4 Post by einman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Guys,
I did not pay the amounts shown on the websites. I had the opportunity to purchase a new one for significantly less. I mention the price so everyone could see it was in fact a higher end model. I am trying to put the Chinese scope in the "best" light.

I paid far less than any of my current scopes. That is why I jumped at the opportunity. To be honest after all is said and done I may want to sell it perhaps for a little profit so prefer not to say how much I paid. That is generally my mode of operation. I purchase a scope when the price is right, evaluate it, then sell it. My intent is the knowledge gained should not cost me anything. So I have to sell the scopes for at least what I paid and then some to compensate for my trouble, e-bay fees etc.

I have purchased and sold several scopes to members on this site at very reasonable prices and everyone has been quite pleased with the pricing...

Buying and selling as a business is of no real interest. But one has to gain knowledge somehow. In regards to others having done this... I am sure it has been done but the fact this scope is "higher end" is putting it well above the cost of a Big five on e-bay closing any loops.

So if it excels and performs better we begin to establish how much would have to be spent to match or exceed older research scopes in performance. It would not necessarily mean that equal performance could not be found at a lower price point. However, if it performs poorly it would call into question any Chinese model that costs less. The intent is by no means to discourage new hobbyists from purchasing what they can afford but would instead increase their confidence in purchasing a used scope.

75RR

#5 Post by 75RR » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:00 pm

Interesting project, looking forward to your findings.
Hope you can return it afterwards or at least find a way to mitigate your investment.

I do wonder though if going for such an expensive one does not defeat the purpose - which is I imagine to compare a new Chinese microscope to a used quality one within a comparable price range.
Can't see many beginners to microscopy putting that much down on a new microscope.

Joint posting with einman - who has now explained his reasoning - will leave mine as is despite that.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

einman

#6 Post by einman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:13 pm

75RR wrote:Interesting project, looking forward to your findings.
Hope you can return it afterwards or at least find a way to mitigate your investment.

I do wonder though if going for such an expensive one does not defeat the purpose - which is I imagine to compare a new Chinese microscope to a used quality one within a comparable price range.
Can't see many beginners to microscopy putting that much down on a new microscope.

Joint posting with einman - who has now explained his reasoning - will leave mine as is despite that.
Return it? Why would I? I can sell it to someone else that would appreciate it for far less than retail and still make a profit. But keep in mind I have seen MANY used and boxed Amscopes go for pennies on the dollar on E-bay. To suggest a person would have to spend $2500 is not the idea. I saw an Accu-scope 3025 with Flour objectives go for $250.. that was a scope that retailed for $3600. Used and NIB go for well below the retail on e-bay. Why??

So if this scope performs well there are many opportunities to purchase one for less than retail..many opportunities.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:24 pm

Glad to hear you have found a way to mitigate the cost - maybe make a little money on your research.
Was just a little concerned when I saw the prices on the links.
Perhaps I should have amended my earlier post when I saw yours.
To suggest a person would have to spend $2500 is not the idea.
I always thought the main reason to buy new was to avoid the potential risk of a used microscope.
I assume these microscopes that sell for "pennies on the dollar" are used.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

einman

#8 Post by einman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:40 pm

75RR wrote:Glad to hear you have found a way to mitigate the cost - maybe make a little money on your research.
Was just a little concerned when I saw the prices on the links.
Perhaps I should have amended my earlier post when I saw yours.
To suggest a person would have to spend $2500 is not the idea.
I always thought the main reason to buy new was to avoid the potential risk of a used microscope.
I assume these microscopes that sell for "pennies on the dollar" are used.
Some are, some are NIB meaning New in Box. Of course we also know how good customer service is with generic microscopes...there is none. So they might as well be used anyway.

einman

#9 Post by einman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:43 pm

Hmm.. I wrote a huge response to you but when I posted it ..it disappeared..a lot of typing for nothing.

Of course if this scope performs really well..I may just keep it. I had the opportunity to compare an Accu-scope 3025 vs an Olympus BX41 side by side. I saw no difference in the optics. In fact according to my friend who owns the microscope shop the parts are the same. Maybe -maybe not. It is common knowledge as Apo has often pointed out for generic retailers to adopt the older technologies of the name brand companies once they have moved on. If you take a close look at the higher end Amscopes, Omax etc you will see that is exactly what they appear to be.

So let's take the Olympus BX41 for example. If a person purchased that scope years ago for say $10000 and they attempt to re-sell it they would probably try and get say $4000 or more out of it, especially if a replacement cost in excess of $15000. However you could conceivably get a generic version , if not the stand, the optics, for far less..say $2500. Would you? Probably not as you could go for a used Big 5 on E-bay for far less, if not equal in optics, at least it would be to your standards still. Now, take it a step further would you be willing to spend say $500 for that used or NIB generic scope on E-bay? Now the picture changes.

Having been in research, manufacturing and sales I regularly see the exact same products re-labeled and sold at different price points. Generic scopes currently have terrible resale value but that is in part due to the lack of knowledge surrounding these scopes and their construction. But this could present a boom to us. There are many variables to consider and questions to be asked. But I am sure that individual who purchased the Accu-scope 3025 for $250 is ecstatic at the find and would challenge anyone to find a Big 5 scope at that performance and price point.

Was that an isolated incident? No-- I could cite many. It was my comparison of the Accu-scope to the Olympus that prompted my purchase..that and the ridiculous price. Let's hope it arrives undamaged or without any hidden defects. It could very well become my scope of choice..although I love my Leitz Diaplan.
Last edited by einman on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

zzffnn

#10 Post by zzffnn » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:14 pm

This is Fan and I have not posted to this thread until this post. Einman you probably mixed up the names? No worries.

einman

#11 Post by einman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:27 pm

zzffnn wrote:This is Fan and I have not posted to this thread until this post. Einman you probably mixed up the names? No worries.

HA hA sorry ..not sure why I typed your name. Probably thinking of an earlier post i read this morning. My apologies my friend.

charlie g

#12 Post by charlie g » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:43 pm

Einman...thank you for the upcoming 'shoot out' of sorts...please try incorporate a few visual observations of live protist specimens if possible...as well as of fixed diatom frustules.

Please try the visual observation first-lights observations, as well as your excellent image capture achievements...if possible.

I have said this before to you in forums...I tip my hat at how with the regularity with which you sell microscopes via the mail, I am so gratified that you have not been burnt/aggrevated by an unethical buyer.....thank goodness for this, einmen.

In astronomy online forums, we used to love the 'shoot outs' of high end refractors by a ?David Ting?...these comparisons are so informative for all of us...thank you for the upcoming shoot out of sorts. Please due submit the review to Microbe Hunter!

I myself have quite a few vintage stands, finite Nikon objectives and occulars, mechanical stages...but I just never seem to take the steps to itemize the kit...then make eBay offer of it...my hobbies get in the way I guess.

charlie guevara

einman

#13 Post by einman » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:45 pm

I will try Charlie. I do not want my skills at photography to reflect negatively on the perception of the results.

Yes I have been fortunate in finding and selling scopes. Not so fortunate in selling other items on E-bay though. Recent experiences at selling electronics were less than satisfying.

carlh6902

#14 Post by carlh6902 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:24 am

Holy cow, that was a good price!

Carl
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---

einman

#15 Post by einman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:41 am

carlh6902 wrote:Holy cow, that was a good price!

Carl

Yes it was! LOL

Not the first time I have seen deals like this where no one bids.

hkv

#16 Post by hkv » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:51 pm

This will be a very interesting comparison! Looking at the close-ups of the accu-scope, some of the knobs and details are identical to those on my Olympus scope. Perhaps even the same manufacturer...
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival

lorez

#17 Post by lorez » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:55 am

some of the knobs and details are identical to those on my Olympus scope
Always remember that looks can be deceiving.

lorez

einman

#18 Post by einman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:28 am

lorez wrote:
some of the knobs and details are identical to those on my Olympus scope
Always remember that looks can be deceiving.

lorez
I don't think we are really concerned with the looks..more the optics. All stands basically do one thing..support the optics. However- in the case of generic scopes they all use the same stands ..and we know even the name brand are made in Chinese factories. Unless the stands are patented they will be duplicated. That is unless the manufacturer has a financial incentive not to do so. Olympus, Nikon, Zeiss charge enough for their stands to potentially incentivize manufacturers not to sell generic versions thus allowing the consumer to quickly differentiate them from the generics. However- optics are a different story. You can not determine the quality of the optics simply by looking at the picture of an objective. Nor can you do so simply by looking at the basic specs. If you could all 40X objectives with an na of 0.66 could be expected to perform comparably. Quality of the glass, coatings, tolerances all play a part.

Let's stretch the point- Let's say Zeiss encases their optics in Gold plated metal. Despite the fact the gold had no bearing on its performance it would still add to the cost. A generic manufacturer could choose to use metal not plated in gold but with identical optics. The price differential could be significant but would not correlate with performance. Now rather than "gold plate" the objective let's put , say, a brand. One that over the years has been synonymous with innovation and quality. That brand in itself has value. For that reason alone an objective marked Olympus would cost more than a generic one even if the optics were identical. That is what I believe happens to stands and objectives that are no longer at the cutting edge. The big names will milk as much out of their brand as they can. SO conceivably a generic $2500 stand could perform as well as a $5000 or more name brand.

apochronaut

#19 Post by apochronaut » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:00 am

Really, all you are saying Einman , is that a good used microscope at a deflated price on ebay or elsewhere, is likely a better purchase than a new microscope from the orient, if the variables are close to equal, isn't it? It's really a question of used vs. new and the value of the goods vs. the knowledge of the buyer . I've always been on the side of second hand, in almost everything. Wasting resources, at any point in time. does not exactly provide an easy street for our descendants.
Clearly, an astute buyer can quadruple their purchasing power with a good used purchase, and as well a naive buyer can waste money , buying into accessibility and advertising mumbo jumbo, while receiving a pedestrian, misappropriated boat anchor, instead of a lifetime purchase.
Better Chinese microscopes? Sure, they are out there but as you point out, at prices that are intimidating at retail, and I still suspect mostly, the higher prices are a result of bells and whistles, rather than any real improvement in image quality. Where , oriental cheapos continue to fail, is, that you still need heavy filtering or software to clean up their image defects. For the nth time, I point out that 99% of microscope time is spent at the eyepieces. Presenting a digitized image to prove microscope performance, is a bit like bleaching dirty cloth. You get it cleaned up over and over but eventually, the fabric falls apart. Good used planfluorite or planapo optics, will always triumph over, even the best Chinese planachros.
You mentioned fluor objectives for the accu-scope, 3025. Well, yes those exist and Motic and Accu-Scope are providing apos as well. Carton Optical( a Japanese co.) have a mfg. facility in Thailand and are well known to meet custom demands for optics; almost anything you want, really. I wonder where those Chinese well corrected optics come from? They certainly aren't bargain priced at retail, though.
As it is , new microscopes fitted with those kinds of optics, are vaulted into the near inaccessible price range for most amateurs, your 250.00 anomaly accepted, yet I can still purchase Reichert infinity corrected D.I.N. planfluorites and planapos for less than 100.00, regularly. Some of them, are N.O.S., which turn a Diastar into a microscope, that at a retail equivalent today would cost, in excess of $20,000., for less than 1000.00, or even close to 500.00, sometimes.
Last edited by apochronaut on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lorez

#20 Post by lorez » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:04 am

I don't think we are really concerned with the looks..more the optics.
You've made my point, exactly. What I am saying about the looks of the knob applies to the entire microscope and to the optics most importantly.

I've been trying to point out for a long time that there is more to an objective than the magnification and the NA.

I'm most interested in what you will find when you evaluate your microscope and particularly so because I've had the opportunity to make the same comparison on several different occasions where the microscope models were identical to what you have on order and the brands were different.

lorez

einman

#21 Post by einman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:06 am

apochronaut wrote:Really, all you are saying Einman , is that a good used microscope at a deflated price on ebay or elsewhere, is likely a better purchase than a new microscope from the orient, if the variables are close to equal, isn't it? It's really a question of used vs. new and the value of the goods vs. the knowledge of the buyer . I've always been on the side of second hand, in almost everything. Wasting resources, at any point in time. does not exactly provide an easy street for our descendants.
Clearly, an astute buyer can quadruple their purchasing power with a good used purchase, and as well a naive buyer can waste money , buying into accessibility and advertising mumbo jumbo, while receiving a pedestrian, misappropriated boat anchor, instead of a lifetime purchase.
Better Chinese microscopes? Sure, they are out there but as you point out, at prices that are intimidating at retail, and I still suspect mostly, the higher prices are a result of bells and whistles, rather than any real improvement in image quality. Where , oriental cheapos continue to fail, is, that you still need heavy filtering or software to clean up their image defects. For the nth time, I point out that 99% of microscope time is spent at the eyepieces. Presenting a digitized image to prove microscope performance, is a bit like bleaching dirty cloth. You get it cleaned up over and over but eventually, the fabric falls apart. Good used planfluorite or planapo optics, will always triumph over, even the best Chinese planachros.
You mentioned fluor objectives for the accu-scope, 3025. Well, yes those exist and Motic and Accu-Scope are providing apos as well. Carton Optical( a Japanese co.) have a mfg. facility in Thailand and are well known to meet custom demands for optics; almost anything you want, really. I wonder where those Chinese well corrected optics come from? They certainly aren't bargain priced at retail, though.
As it is , new microscopes fitted with those kinds of optics, are vaulted into the near inaccessible price range for most amateurs, your 250.00 anomaly accepted, yet I can still purchase Reichert infinity corrected D.I.N. planfluorites and planapos for less than 100.00, regularly. Some of them, are N.O.S., which turn a Diastar into a microscope, that at a retail equivalent today would cost, in excess of $20,000., for less than 1000.00, or even close to 500.00, sometimes.
Yes we agree in part. Ok- Personally, what I am more interested in is not so much for the newbies but more for those of us more experienced hobbyists. How much would a Chinese scope cost that would compare favorably or surpass our favorites brands etc. whether that be a Reichert Diastar, A Leitz Diaplan, OLympus BH-2 or an AO 120 etc. ? I believe we have established time and again that most of our favorite stands easily exceed the performance of a new Chinese scope at the same price point. You have just re-affirmed the basis for that reasoning. Once we have established it would take, say, a scope costing new $2000, then newbies afraid to purchase an older used scope could look for a used version of the higher end scopes or even a NIB which pop up all the time. Those of us experienced in the hobby can continue to stick with our older scopes improving them via our established routines or should we spot a good deal on a new or used high end Chinese stand would not be hesitant to purchase it either.

Currently I have no desire to purchase any Chinese scope although I am intrigued by the stand I just bought. An experiment I would never have bothered to spend money on had it not been cheap. I thoroughly enjoy my older scopes if not solely for the optics then for the nostalgia of the beautiful construction and aesthetics. Pretty much why I stick to real books and have yet to go over to electronic books.

Regardless, I in no way believe any new stand regardless of the price compares favorably with the construction of the older stands, optics aside.
Last edited by einman on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

einman

#22 Post by einman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:13 am

lorez wrote:
I don't think we are really concerned with the looks..more the optics.
You've made my point, exactly. What I am saying about the looks of the knob applies to the entire microscope and to the optics most importantly.

I've been trying to point out for a long time that there is more to an objective than the magnification and the NA.

I'm most interested in what you will find when you evaluate your microscope and particularly so because I've had the opportunity to make the same comparison on several different occasions where the microscope models were identical to what you have on order and the brands were different.

lorez
Lorez which scopes have you evaluated? Can you share your experience?

einman

#23 Post by einman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:17 am

apochronaut wrote:Really, all you are saying Einman , is that a good used microscope at a deflated price on ebay or elsewhere, is likely a better purchase than a new microscope from the orient, if the variables are close to equal, isn't it? It's really a question of used vs. new and the value of the goods vs. the knowledge of the buyer . I've always been on the side of second hand, in almost everything. Wasting resources, at any point in time. does not exactly provide an easy street for our descendants.

To be sure I would be interested in DIN planapos for less than $100. I have never seen them for less than $100. Flourites yes, I exchanged one with you. Keep me in mind when one pops up. I do recall some deals you forwarded me in the past.

Bottom-line..I had the option to get a $2500 Chinese stand and intend to compare it to some of my stands. Whether I use digital photography or not will depend on whether I decide my skills can accurately reflect what i see at the eyepiece. Forummembers can do with the information what they wish. I will not give up my favorite stand regardless. It is purely an academic exercise some may find useful afforded by a fortunate e-bay purchase.

apochronaut

#24 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:25 am

My attention to these, is always for infinity corrected systems and AO or Reichert in particular. When it comes to the older 34mm AO format, some planapos are around but at somewhat higher than the 100.00. I am thinking that you are looking primarily for 160mm D.I.N., though? Leitz, Meiji?

apochronaut

#25 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:04 pm

I will p.m. or email with some current options. They are all infinity corrected.

einman

#26 Post by einman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:21 pm

I was hoping to hear from Lorez on his observations regarding the stands he evaluated in this same class that is the $2500 or so range.

Ok here are my first impressions. The scope came packed in its original box. Everything was individually wrapped or in its optics container. No apparent defects observed. The condenser was mounted on the stage and sitting in its own compartment. The head was in its own compartment. This was true for all the components including the light source. While assembling It was obvious the quality of construction did not compare to any of my scopes whether it be the AO's, B&L's, Leitz or the Meijis. In fact the Meiji which is the most "modern" scope I have is built better. Although they still list for more than this scope.

I have to keep reminding myself this is a $2500 microscope. Although the finish was quite good in terms of paint etc., the precision just does not seem to be present. Turning the objective turret does not have the feel of precision like my other scopes. It "clunks" into place, rather than clicks. Generous use of plastic, although the stand itself is made of steel. The head feels much cheaper. Although it functions perfectly. The objectives look typical of newer objectives. This model has infinity planachros.

The c-mount fitting to the trinoc tube appears to allow for a good deal of adjustment for parfocality. I will see once I start testing. I set up Koehler and quickly looked at a slide. Looks good. Nice bright clear image through the 10X/22 eyepieces. However, I have purchased Chinese made objectives in the past and I never thought they were bad in terms of resolution but tended to lack the color/contrast of the older objectives. That could be a function of price point. These 4 objectives alone list for $812 on their website. The objectives I looked at before sold for about $69 each.

I do not see yet where the stage is adjustable. Overall not a bad scope. So where is the $2500? Well ..more to come.

lorez

#27 Post by lorez » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:49 pm

I was hoping to hear from Lorez on his observations regarding the stands he evaluated in this same class that is the $2500 or so range.
Sorry, einman, I lost track of this thread for a bit. I did not want to add my observations until you had a chance to do yours. When you are finished I'll add my thoughts. As it stands, I am watching two of this model as they are being used over the last three years.

lorez

einman

#28 Post by einman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:23 pm

Ok here is the assembled stand

einman

#29 Post by einman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:28 pm

lorez wrote:
Sorry, einman, I lost track of this thread for a bit. I did not want to add my observations until you had a chance to do yours. When you are finished I'll add my thoughts. As it stands, I am watching two of this model as they are being used over the last three years.

lorez

OKay. I have quickly looked at the optics and find them to be quite good actually. I will need to select a slide, diatoms or something of that nature, as a standard.

hkv

#30 Post by hkv » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:34 pm

einman wrote: OKay. I have quickly looked at the optics and find them to be quite good actually. I will need to select a slide, diatoms or something of that nature, as a standard.
If available, you can use Klaus Kemp's 8 Test forms of Diatoms. Especially the Gyrosigma is a good test of the objectives resolving power.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/micromundus
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/micromundusphotography
Web: https://hakankvarnstrom.com
Olympus BX51 | Olympus CX23 | Olympus SZ40 | Carl ZEISS EVO LS 10 Lab6 | Carl Zeiss Jena Sedival