My first microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
peytr

My first microscope

#1 Post by peytr » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:51 pm

As promised I'd post a picture of my Nedoptifa S. It has the standard 8x, 40x and 90x oil objectives, 5 and 10x eyepieces and some extra Euromex eyepieces. In fact there's one in the picture.
When I first got the scope everything was stuck and dirty, the biggest problem being the fine adjustment. It clearly has seen some abuse during its life. There's some paint damage as well.

Anyhow: I cleaned and greased the scope and now find it quite usable for such an old and neglected microscope. The mirror has some damage, the tube is oxidised and the glass has some spots but gives usable images, at least for me. Mechanical the scope is sound and the fine adjustment (a revolution equals 50 microns) works a treat now.

Last weekend I found another Nedoptifa (which is a kind of special because there aren't masses of these around) and had a few surprises since. This last find has a fourfold turret and two normal (8x and 40x) and two phase contrast objectives (40x and 90x, most likely oil?). There also is a polarizing setup with a filter under the condensor (filter delaminated) and a filter in the tube, which can be flipped on or off. This scope is in much better condition and has an adjustable condensor as opposed to the basic S.

Come to speak of it:Would it be possible to repair a delaminated polarizing filter? Of course I could get a simple plastic filter as a replacement but I like to keep it original and working 8-)....

Peter
Attachments
DSCF2565.jpg
DSCF2565.jpg (166.56 KiB) Viewed 3693 times

billbillt

Re: My first microscope

#2 Post by billbillt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:45 pm

Hello Peytr,

I did a google search and found that the stands you have are very high quality... I am not sure what your delamed filter looks like so I can give no advice.. I would take this project forward, it looks like these stands are worth the trouble...

The Best,
BillT

JimT

#3 Post by JimT » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:25 pm

Peytr, I can offer no advice but there is enjoyment in just working on an older scope. Good luck.

peytr

#4 Post by peytr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:10 pm

I couldn't agree more.

I guess a modern scope would get me better images but it's immensely rewarding to bring back some of the quality which was put in 60 years ago. And I find the black stands are below zero on the cool scale as well 8-)