SWIFT SRL Microscopes

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
BrassCat

SWIFT SRL Microscopes

#1 Post by BrassCat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Hello the group. I have and use the B&L SZ4 and SZ7 with electronics. I remain curious about viewing the small things, biological. I have had stored away an older (must be) Swift SRL parts Microscope that came with a winning bid for surplus electronics. No eyepieces. I have been watching the Bay for that but ended up on a spurge and won a complete Swift SRL. It sold way too cheap, $5.50. I could not resist the impulse to bid.

I have searched for a manual on the version I have (SRL 79, see photos of same below this) but have not found any. I have found manual swift manuals for it seems newer model microscopes. Does anyone have a manual for either of these SRL models?. It seems the SRL designation is for a family of microscopes with various options. I got the following two photos of the net, but it is the same as the microscope. Mine does not have the camera port.

The difference in the two models of SRL:

My model in storage:
1) Has the built in light in a lamp module hanging off the back side!
2) Has an iris mechanism built inside the base itself.
3) Has a electric lamp meter NAD intensity control in the front panel.
4) Has a support platform under the slide mount platform to hold something, the
photo (from internet) has a Phase Master unit, which I do not have on mine.

My recent purchase:
1) Lamp intensity knob, but no meter.
2) lamp is built into base, no exterior module.
3) has iris in lens on the lens mounted to base.
4) has optics module on platform under slide mounting platform.

Were the concurrent models or one older that the other?
Are the lens specs the same?
When were these models marketed??
What is / was the quality of the microscopes (they seem substantially made)

Thanks for any assistance in this
Stan

lorez

Re: SWIFT SRL Microscopes

#2 Post by lorez » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 pm

The Swift SRL ( Swift Research Line) was a current model during the 1970s and into the early 80's. It was the best model the Swift company imported and was intended for the veterinary and medical clinic model. There were quite a few variations in the model as they evolved as new lots were manufactured. The nice thing about all Swift microscopes is that the first two digits of the serial number indicated the year of manufacturer. When the original Swift company was sold to the Chinese company in 2005, or thereabouts, the serial numbers no longer meant much.

There were a variety of accessories such as phase and darkfield, but no polarizing kits (that I recall) and objectives were offered as achromats, semi-plans, and plans and there were no fluorite or apochromat objectives.

These scopes were very well made in many regards and were a bit flimsy in others. I always thought the slide holders could have been much better.

Believe it, or not, there are still SRL models from the early 1970s that are being used professionally.

lorez

BrassCat

#3 Post by BrassCat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Hello Lorez, Thanks for the response. I now know more about my microscope.

Are objectives / eyepieces from other manufacturers compatible with the SRL Swift microscopes?
What threading standard does it use? I have not seen yet any descriptions of micro thread standards.
Are there other issues in using other manufacturers objectives?

Thanks again.

I

billbillt

#4 Post by billbillt » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:15 pm

BrassCat wrote:Hello Lorez, Thanks for the response. I now know more about my microscope.

Are objectives / eyepieces from other manufacturers compatible with the SRL Swift microscopes?
What threading standard does it use? I have not seen yet any descriptions of micro thread standards.
Are there other issues in using other manufacturers objectives?

Thanks again.

I
Hi,
The thread on the objectives will will almost certainly be standard.. What is important is the "tube length". It should be engraved on each objective.. It will be a number such as "160".. All objectives with a common tube length will interchange..

BillT