My first microscope

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Lilly Begonia

My first microscope

#1 Post by Lilly Begonia » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Okay so this is what I bought. It had good reviews on Amazon, and seemed a good choice. I'm liking it so far, it's an OMAX 40X-2000X Lab LED Binocular Microscope with Double Layer Mechanical Stage:

MicroBob

Re: My first microscope

#2 Post by MicroBob » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:32 pm

A well equipped microscope and a table with lots of free space for slide making, glass ware, stains etc...
It is possible to turn the binocular head around so the power cable faces away from you. Most people use their mircroscopes this way round.
Do you already have an idea what to look at?

Bob

Lilly Begonia

#3 Post by Lilly Begonia » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:36 pm

MicroBob wrote:A well equipped microscope and a table with lots of free space for slide making, glass ware, stains etc...
It is possible to turn the binocular head around so the power cable faces away from you. Most people use their mircroscopes this way round.
Do you already have an idea what to look at?

Bob
Hi Bob, well I do have an idea of what to look at, but it's going to take some investing. I'm interested in bacteria. Gram negative enterobacters to be specific. For that I need petri dishes, nutrient agar, and time. And yes, I'm going to turn the head around.

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:27 am

Congrats on your microscope, Lilly, and welcome to this kind forum. Ah..lots to do with bacteria and the assemblages of bacteria and 'their neighbors'.

I guess you will soon be looking into phase contrast light microscopy for your observations of live organisms. A gentle overview of bacteria in our shared world is low cost book: "A Field Guide to Bacteria", Dr.Betsey Dexter Dyer.

I enjoy use of a powerful green laser handpointer...it sure looks like the device you have next to your binoculars. Best of a shared microscopy this still new year. Charlie guevara