Latest Addition Olympus SZH

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
einman

Latest Addition Olympus SZH

#1 Post by einman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:58 pm

So I have been hoping to find the Olympus SZH ILLD brightfield/Darkfield base as well as the SZH-STAD2 adapter and BH2-SIC stage. I have also been looking for a 1.5X objective.

When I saw this scope with everything I was looking for including a 2.5x NFK photo eyepiece mounted with a U-MPVTC c-mount adapter also on my list, I thought wow!!! It also came with a coaxial illuminator. Although I will be selling that ss I have no use for it. I had to have this. After some negotiating it is now mine. It arrived today.
Everything functions smoothly. To find so many optional accessories on one scope was just a delight!! I now have the 0.75x ( which I will most likely sell), 1.0x, and 1.5x objectives. I have a multimount adapter so I can have 2 objectives mounted simultaneously. This is my second Olympus SZH stand. Hmmm...I will probably sell one, as it defeats my current goal of making room in my lab.

Here are some quick photos:

Crater Eddie

Re: Latest Addition Olympus SZH

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:01 pm

Sweeeeeeet!
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU with Olympus E-P1 MFT camera mounted
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)

einman

#3 Post by einman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:18 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:Sweeeeeeet!
CE

Yes it is! Need a stereoscope to go with that Olympus BH2? We can make it 2 sweet deals!

einman

#4 Post by einman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:02 am

Here it is with a few more additions. I have added a second photo tube, the objective adapter so it now has two rotating objectives and an adapter that allows for petri dish manipulation using the slide holder.

SunshineLW

#5 Post by SunshineLW » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:33 pm

Awesome setup! I'm drooling

einman

#6 Post by einman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Yes it is! I have an example of each of the research stereoscopes from that era 1980-1990 more or less including the B&L SZ7 (~1976) and the AO 580. They are very impressive especially given the age, with resolution equal to better than many of the higher end scopes available today and certainly a much better buy than the new scopes given the price differential.

I just managed to score a Leica M80 which has the same resolution as the Leica MZ12 although less costly. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival so I can compare it to the much older scopes.

Generally the newer scopes tend to have various features that improve ergonomics or make them more modular, while the resolution is still in the same ballpark as the older scopes, unless you start to move up the ladder to the research scopes of today, listing in excess of $10,000 used.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 am

Beautiful stereoscope. In fact they both are. Well done.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)