My Zeiss Microscopes

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
Hobbyst46

Re: My Zeiss Microscopes

#91 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat May 23, 2020 5:45 pm

Very nice job!
On some BXs, there is an epi- field aperture, that can aid to optimize uniform brightness of the FOV in fluorescence.
BTW, the technical term used for the incident light beam, that causes fluorescence, is excitation.
Zeiss Standard GFL+Canon EOS-M10, Olympus VMZ stereo

ImperatorRex

Re: Olympus BX - DIY LED replacement for the HBO 100W high pressure Mercury burner

#92 Post by ImperatorRex » Sat May 23, 2020 5:57 pm

Thank you Hobbyst46. Spelling corrected, very appreciate your advise.
Guess I had the epi- field aperture fully opened. Will need to check next time.

ImperatorRex

My Zeiss and Olympus Microscopes

#93 Post by ImperatorRex » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Recently there was the question why to buy (second hand) microscopes from one of the big 4 manufacturers. I tried to answer in the forum, but I stopped to write a response. I am simply not able to just focus on the rationals, I found myself getting very emotional when it comes to my microscope(s). Simply because they are not just bought from the shelf, the equipment was completed with lots of time and passion to make them simply wonderful,perfect and maybe unique!

I AM SURE MANY HERE IN THE FORUM SHARE THE SAME FEELINGS FOR THEIR EQUIPMENT ;-) JUST LET ME KNOW!

Just looking at the most recent equiment that I bought, where I still somehow can remember where and what I have added and modified:
Asterics (*) indicates that I bought the item from ebay. So it adds ebay stuff from Singapore, Thailand, China, USA, UK and Germany. Some components are tailor made stuff or just done by my own.

75RR

#94 Post by 75RR » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:25 pm

I do think that a loved microscope like an old much loved car, will go that extra mile for you. ;)
Last edited by 75RR on Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

BramHuntingNematodes

#95 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:41 pm

I certainly like old tools, and I can feel the tsukumogami of some of these old things when I use them. I have wooden planes that are 200 years old that I use regularly, so an 80 year old microscope is not very old. My old Dynoptic has a history I am conflicted about, being part of the research complement at the Hanford Engineering Works during the Manhattan Project. It's tsukumogami may be evil, I don't know, but it's certainly a beautiful machine. It's also a reminder that people were no less ingenious in the past, and some skills and arts were more exercised and widely practiced then as well.

New things can be modified too. It's really that microscopes are excellent for those that like to adjust settings. I like, for instance, how the intro on some of microbe hunter videos is just turning and adjusting knob after knob. Then after that comes all these personal modifications, additions, and upgrades that are built out of our ideas about what we would like to do. When you sit down to a session you sense that everything about the environment has been shaped to your preferences to a high degree. It's not a stretch to think that this sense of control would affect us emotionally. That all this apparatus let's us participate in a world normally obscure doesn't hurt either.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

ImperatorRex

#96 Post by ImperatorRex » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:33 pm

After some clean up I feal comfortable to share a photo from my room at home...

Rapidray

#97 Post by Rapidray » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Nice looking setup! I love your inverted Zeiss!!! :D
OMAX M83

ImperatorRex

#98 Post by ImperatorRex » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Thank you Rapidray. The Zeiss inverted is still the microscope that I am using most of the time and were my passion is.

Wes

#99 Post by Wes » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:55 am

Very nice Jochen, you have a great microscopy station! But where are all the other beautiful microscopes??

ImperatorRex

#100 Post by ImperatorRex » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:39 pm

Hi Wes,
Wes wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:55 am
But where are all the other beautiful microscopes??
It is a please but also a curse to have many microscopes. Where to put all the nice scopes? Table space is limited and just to put the stuff into closures is not really a solution.
So meanwhile I have sold some of my Zeiss collection...what also helps to recover from my recent scope investments / aquisitions. So just one nice black Standard WL, a Standard RA and a Junior is currently stocked on the shelf.
It does not mean I am not buying interesting scope from time to time...but I is then more to get interesting components and to repair the scope. So maybe in few months my collection again has recovered and extended :-)

Fen

#101 Post by Fen » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:57 pm

The stereo microscope on the left really puts it into perspective how big the inverted scope really is. :shock:
Beautiful collection!

ImperatorRex

#102 Post by ImperatorRex » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:44 pm

Thank you Fen. The footprint of the Zeiss Inverted IM35 is somehow comparable with other larger research grade microscopes like Olympus BX or the Zeis Axios/Universal/Phomi. Certainly it is a bit higher. So maybe this is also the reason, why this type of microscopes are not so popular? Sometimes you find these microscopes for very low prices on ebay in USA!
But I have to admit that hardly any offer on ebay will work straight away as being sold, so some kind of "repair" and overhaul needs to be done.
I really like the ergonomy and handling of the IM35, it is very convenient! And it is really a full grade research microscope, including epi fluorescense. You can do everything with this scope!

If anybody has questions regarding the IM35 (or auctions on ebay) pls. do not hesitate to contact me via a private message.