My first microscope (in 50 years)

What equipment do you use? Post pictures and descriptions of your microscope(s) here!
JamesBeau

My first microscope (in 50 years)

#1 Post by JamesBeau » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:51 pm

ImageImage

Hobbyst46

Re: My first microscope (in 50 years)

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:59 pm

Congratulations again.
Only one photo, a close up of the stage and objectives, is visible. What I see looks great.
It is easy to upload photos directly from your computer, not even from the google drive or any other "cloud". You just need to resize your photos such that their longest dimension is no more than 1024 pixels.
You can attach (upload) up to five photos per post or "postreply", so, if there are more, upload them in groups of up to five.
To attach a file, select it from the file list (e.g. in Windows File Explorer) then press "add the file" in the box below.

ImperatorRex

#3 Post by ImperatorRex » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Congratulations James! I also started with a Zeiss Standard microscope, maybe 5 years ago.
For me it was the right decission. Just one "warning": You may become edicted to try out all the available nice Zeiss equipment that is all well available on the second hand market :D

Wish you a good time with your microcscope.

JamesBeau

#4 Post by JamesBeau » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I will retry to post pictures of my microscope later on today. I had tried to post 3 pictures but limited sucess
As far as my objectives are concerned (the only picture that posted?), I did look at the used market but was able to purchase all 3 objectives for less than $100 and they were unused. They are working fine for me but I am starting from ground zero and would not know a $500 lens from a $50 lens. I imagine as I get into this hobby more, I will have a chance to experience more. I tried to find a local microscope club in Central Ohio, but my internet search did not come up with anything.
Thanks again,
Jim

JamesBeau

#5 Post by JamesBeau » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:42 am

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:34 am

Have not been able to see any of your images yet, perhaps you can post a link instead if the instructions do not help.

Pic posting instructions:

Press browse button at bottom of page (below blue line)
navigate to the image you want to post and press open
then press submit (above blue line)
that should do it.

If you want to post several images you need to press Add the file and then load the subsequent image in the new browse window that appears.

Note: Keep image dimensions to max 1024 pixels per side and keep size down as much as is practical.
Last edited by 75RR on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#7 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:49 am

JamesBeau wrote: ...They are working fine for me but I am starting from ground zero and would not know a $500 lens from a $50 lens...
At least for visual observation of high contrast objects, your set of objectives should be satisfactory.
The price of second-hand objectives from a given maker depends on many features, mainly if it is a Plan/Neofluar/Apochromat/iris/Phase contrast, the working and cosmetic status of the objective, its rarity on the market and age. Magnification is much less important in this respect.
Anyway, I would look for more objectives only after some photomicrography experience, since the image conveyed by the camera differs from the visual image through the eyepieces.